NEurope
Serebii

Minecraft: Wii U Edition (17th December)

Minecraft: #WiiU Edition comes to Nintendo #eShop on 17/12

CVn-hzeWsAEPA8B.jpg

REDMOND, Wash.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Mojang’s video game phenomenon Minecraft launches worldwide on Nintendo’s Wii U home console on Dec. 17. Minecraft: Wii U Edition comes with multiple add-on content packs, and will be available in the Nintendo eShop on Wii U in North America for $29.99. Nintendo and Mojang are also collaborating on new content for Nintendo fans to be released at a future date. More details about this content will be released at a later time.

“Wii U players will have plenty of reasons to keep coming back to this iconic gaming experience.”

Tweet this

The game will feature off-TV play, so players can keep their games going on the screen of the Wii U GamePad controller if another family member wants to watch something else on TV. The game also comes with some of the most popular current Minecraft add-on content packs:

• Battle & Beasts Skin Pack

• Battle & Beasts 2 Skin Pack

• Natural Texture Pack

• City Texture Pack

• Fantasy Texture Pack

• Festive Mash-up Pack

“With so many included add-on content packs, Minecraft: Wii U Edition brings an exciting collection of Minecraft content and experiences to Nintendo fans,” said Reggie Fils-Aime, Nintendo of America’s President and COO. “Wii U players will have plenty of reasons to keep coming back to this iconic gaming experience.”

In addition to the content that comes with the game, players will also be able to expand their experience with 16 additional add-on packs available for purchase within the Nintendo eShop at launch:

1. Festive Skin Pack

2. The Simpsons Skin Pack

3. Doctor Who Skins Volume 1

4. Doctor Who Skins Volume 2

5. Star Wars Classic Skin Pack

6. Star Wars Rebels Skin Pack

7. Star Wars Prequel Skin Pack

8. Mass Effect Mash-up Pack

9. Skyrim Mash-up Pack

10. Plastic Texture Pack

11. Candy Texture Pack

12. Cartoon Texture Pack

13. Steampunk Texture Pack

14. Pattern Texture Pack

15. Greek Mythology Mash-up Pack

16. Halloween 2015 Mash-up Pack

More add-on packs will also be available for the game in the future.

For more information about Minecraft: Wii U Edition, please visit http://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/minecraft-wii-u-edition.

Remember that Wii U features parental controls that let adults manage the content their children can access. For more information about this and other features, visit http://www.nintendo.com/wiiu.

Edited by Serebii

Was this the "Big announcement" they promised on Monday?

Because if so...

giphy.gif

Eh, don't care for the game, and it's too little, too late anyway.

It's gonna sell gangbusters, though.

I wanted it to be the Smash presentation date...

Doctor Who skins at launch. Sold.

Was this the "Big announcement" they promised on Monday?

Because if so...

giphy.gif

Eh, don't care for the game, and it's too little, too late anyway.

It's gonna sell gangbusters, though.

I wanted it to be the Smash presentation date...

To be fair, it was the head of indies and third party relations at Nintendo who made the hint.

Classic Internet going crazy over hype without context :p

Too late in the day. Why it took Nintendo so long to get it on its platform I have no idea.

Is it priced more expensive than other platforms?

Doctor Who skins at launch. Sold.

To be fair, it was the head of indies and third party relations at Nintendo who made the hint.

Oh, trust me. Even when PEGI dropped the ball and accidentally leaked this, I still didn't care. Minecraft just isn't my kind of game.

Classic Internet going crazy over hype without context :p

Hi! My name's Glen! I'm a Smash Bros. fan. Getting hyped over tiny possibilities is kinda our thing!

EDIT: Wait, is this seriously 10 dollars more than the other versions?

Well, sales aren't going to be quite as good as I thought then...

DOUBLE EDIT: Oh wait, it comes with add-on content built in? Well, that explains that then.

Edited by Glen-i

Nice. I'll probably pick this up.

I am surprised they didn't have a Nintendo themed pack available for it, but that'll probably happen in the future.

Edit-

Nintendo and Mojang are also collaborating on new content for Nintendo fans to be released at a future date. More details about this content will be released at a later time.
Edited by Helmsly

Why wasn't this in the direct? I will never understand Nintendo sometimes.

I echo the thoughts of everyone though - I doubt this will interest many on the Wii U.

I imagine the big announcement was this + in particular the Nintendo themed pack but the latter isn't ready to be revealed or something so they pushed the whole thing back.

So this was the big announcement... shocking.

The announcement hinted by the head of Indies at Nintendo is the biggest indie title of all time. So yes, this is the big announcement.

This is big news for me...not owning a good PC or any other consoles, and with a 9 year old son, this is going to be awesome in 2 player local mode. Well stoked. Add in online, if others buy, and this will serve for the entire year for family coop games. :)

Good news for nintendo, couldn't care less. But surely they'll add in amiibo support for nintendo character skins!

Is there any information on world sizes? PS4/X1 worlds are something like 36 times the size of the tiny worlds in PS3/360 due to improved hardware.

Good news for Nintendo, but so late that I wonder if there was much point.

Good news for Nintendo, but so late that I wonder if there was much point.

Well considering those Minecraft clones on the WiiU eShop sell pretty well. It's a safe bet that this will sell a ton. (A ton by WiiU standards)

Of course, if this came out years ago, it would have been a different story, but that's beside the point.

Odd that the PR mentions nothing about Gamepad integration outside of basic Off TV Play...

I swear to God, if they drop the ball on Gamepad integration after all this time...

I mean COME ON!!!

Minecraft-Wii-U.jpg

It's the most obvious thing in the frickin' world!!!

It's the most obvious thing in the frickin' world!!!

Which is why it won't happen.

I'm totally expecting it to not happen, and that will be hilarious.

This is big news for me...not owning a good PC or any other consoles, and with a 9 year old son, this is going to be awesome in 2 player local mode. Well stoked. Add in online, if others buy, and this will serve for the entire year for family coop games. :)

That's great news, is he clued up on his Nintendo related news?

Just wondering if you'd be able to keep it a secret for an extra week and surprise him on Christmas morning with Minecraft on the U :)

Agreed with everyone that's it's a little too late, but still good news none the less, hopefully shows Nintendo is doing the leg work behind the scenes to get things happening!

Actually I am in a similar boat, so I might jump in. Never really been that convinced by the game though.

So they priced this more expensive them every other version I see. Clearly trying to sting consumers who only own Nintendo consoles.

Anyway like others have said, its too late in the day to have any meaningful impact.

So they priced this more expensive them every other version I see. Clearly trying to sting consumers who only own Nintendo consoles.

It includes some add-on content. Which would explain the higher price.

I don't think it's to late in a larger scale. They will probably (but who nows) not make to much money, but it shows that the NX will probably have more third party support, which is important.

Was the price in English pounds for it? Despite my hefty Terraria love I never ever got into Minecraft; a good UI on WiiU might tempted me though if the price is right.

Was the price in English pounds for it? Despite my hefty Terraria love I never ever got into Minecraft; a good UI on WiiU might tempted me though if the price is right.

Price hasn't been given, but the content matches the Xbox Holiday Pack for Minecraft which comes at the same price, so whatever that is on Xbox, it'll likely be that price here.