NEurope
drahkon

Nuclear Throne (PC/PS3/PS4/PSVita/Xbox One)

This is out of early access and has been released on PC and the PlayStation platforms (not yet on Xbox One).

After a couple of runs I'd describe Nuclear Throne as a 'rogue-lite, insanely difficult, hectic, high-octane, fun as fuck top down shooter' :D

Love it.

No one got this, then? :blank:

Still haven't beaten the game (or reached the point which I suppose is the end). It's tough as nails but oh so much fun. Every tiny progress you make is so rewarding and you get increasingly nervous trying not to fuck this up :laughing:

Game needs two improvements:

1. When you pause the game the "Menu" button is highlighted by default, so when you press X the run is over...you have to highlight "Return" manually...many runs have ended because it's such an unnatural thing to do...

2. You should be able to continue a run when you quit to the menu...hope it will be added eventually

Edited by drahkon

About time this has left early access. Such a great game. Vambleer is a treasure in a way.

I'm terrible at it, but I've come across some great videos of playthroughs. Crazy shit like dual wielding double miniguns and setting off nukes and basically the screen effects made it unplayable with every shot. It's great, I recommend the game to everyone. It's incredibly easy to just hop on and play for a run or two and then leave....or play another 40 minutes.

This game is amazing, but so so much better in coop. Yet to find a competent buddy to play it with though. And yeah, it's hard as fuck. I haven't played it since it came out for real but I did find that while it was in early access, dying was more frustrating than it should be just because the early levels have very little variation to them and you have to sit through them, until the difficulty ramps up to nuclear armageddon level a few levels later. So yeah, the only real frustration for me was the stark disparity between the first two levels, which you would have to sit through repeatedly, and the mid game.

Will get on this again soon.

This got an Essential from Eurogamer. :bowdown:

Well deserved.

Still haven't reached the Nuclear Throne (which I assume is the end or close to the end of a run). :laughing:

A nuclear throne would be really quite uncomfortable indeed.

This got an Essential from Eurogamer. :bowdown:

Well deserved.

Still haven't reached the Nuclear Throne (which I assume is the end or close to the end of a run). :laughing:

End of a run, but then the game loops. And gets more difficult I believe.

I've never done it either, playing with a controller is far harder than a mouse. Found that out last night.

End of a run, but then the game loops. And gets more difficult I believe.

:blank: Jesus Christ :D Will definitely go for the Platinum but this makes it even more difficult than I thought.

I've never done it either, playing with a controller is far harder than a mouse. Found that out last night

Haven't played this with a mouse (probably never will), but I can see how this would be much easier.

However, I'm so used to aiming with the DS4 and Vita that it's not really an issue for me.

No one got this, then? :blank:

I just bought it because of this thread.. And I'm crap at it :p. Too bad there's no online co-op.

So yeah, the only real frustration for me was the stark disparity between the first two levels, which you would have to sit through repeatedly, and the mid game.

I do understand your point, but for me this isn't a big deal/frustrating. Mostly because I still die a lot on world two...but also because I see the first few levels as kind of a warm up.

Maybe my opinion on this will change once I get better and reach higher levels more regularly, but for now it seems ok.

Too bad there's no online co-op.

Yeah, online co-op would be awesome, but the game is amazing even without :D

Bought this yesterday and all I can say is that this is incredible. Can totally understand why Eurogamer said this was essential.

Bought this yesterday and all I can say is that this is incredible.

It really is.

I'm waiting for the long overdue patch on PlayStation systems, though. Slowdown on vita can be annoying, and there are several bugs I have encountered.

The worst, however, is that when you pause the game the highlighted option is "Quit", so when you press X to continue (as it is the case with basically any other game) you quit :D This has ended so many runs...

It really is.

I'm waiting for the long overdue patch on PlayStation systems, though. Slowdown on vita can be annoying, and there are several bugs I have encountered.

The worst, however, is that when you pause the game the highlighted option is "Quit", so when you press X to continue (as it is the case with basically any other game) you quit :D This has ended so many runs...

Every time you kill Big Dog on Vita it gets a bout of mega lag for a few seconds. Had the game crash a couple of times in the 15 or so hours I've played so far. Loving it though.

Still waiting on that patch...it's supposed to be in certification but I don't really believe that. It's been a month since the devs announced the patch has been submitted for cert.

The patch four Dangerous Golf, for example, has passed cert in 4 days...

With all the bugs and crashes I will most likely not buy anything from the devs day-one again. If these bugs were minor it wouldn't be a problem, but the game glitched out on me in a bad way. I couldn't unlock stuff even if I met the requirements...

Looking forward to the fixed version, but it's annoying that it takes so long.

Unless something has changed, the "devs" is just one guy if I recall correctly. Which is not to excuse releasing a game with issues because plenty don't fall into that trap, but just that between him announcing a patch and actually finishing the patch there is going to be a decent turnaround period.

I mean on Steam Nuclear Throne was in early access for damn near forever, with a ton of updates. It kinda sucks waiting on them to finish things.

The thing is, console players have been waiting for the patch (which had been released already on PC) for 5 months now.

The upcoming console patch will adress more bugs than initially planned, but it's still annoying that the game has been unplayable from the release unless you don't care about progression.

[tweet]755926330118578176[/tweet]

8 months. It took them 8 months to develop a patch. That should be long enough to make it through cert...and they failed.

Yeah they are total bandits. With the rave reviews they got and the money they have made they should have employed people to help them. They haven't, their reputation is ruined, and I will likely not buy another of their games within the first year of release as a result.

Pretty disgusted with these guys tbh.

Oh my God, the PS4 patch has been released. Looks like unlocks and trophies are fixed.

Well, now waiting for the Vita patch which has been submitted to certification today..........................

I find myself dipping into this game quite a lot recently on PS4. There's still nothing quite like this game, combat feels so tight and quick, it's sublime.

I actually haven't been on the Vita version for many a year. I assume they eventually patched it? I remember it didn't just lag after Big Dog but would also crash when you defeated the Nuclear Throne!

8 minutes ago, Sheikah said:

I assume they eventually patched it?

As far as I know they didn't. It's why I will never touch a game from Vlambeer again.

2 minutes ago, drahkon said:

As far as I know they didn't. It's why I will never touch a game from Vlambeer again.

That's actually truly shameful. There can be no excuses for that - it's not like we can say they don't have the staff. They've just put the game out on Switch so it's a clear case of just having different priorities (making more profit over supporting versions they already put out).

That said, the game is incredible. And if they ever did make a sequel, I would have to buy it at some point.