NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Pokemon Red, Blue & Yellow (3DS Virtual Console)

Picked up Red, Blue and Yellow downloadable codes in GAME whilst on my lunch break at work today. It's an understatement to say it was absolutely packed.

Also picked up the Pikachu and Mewtwo amiibo, and started talking to the cashier: they're already taking deposits for pre-orders for Sun and Moon. Finally got around to asking for a Mew code (not going to leave it so late next time), and he asked which game I had, and I responded by saying I had both Omega Ruby and X. Gave me a code for each!

After my frank admission in the last NE show that I haven't played a Pokemon game since the GBA game, really tempted to pick up Yellow and roll back the years and re ignite the Pokemon passion ready for Sun and Moon!

Especially seeing most of you lot on my 3DS friends list playing it earlier (apart from @Glen\-i playing mystery dungeon :p)

Especially seeing most of you lot on my 3DS friends list playing it earlier (apart from @Glen\-i playing mystery dungeon :p)

And I guarantee I've been having more fun.

534 connections and counting!

Downloaded Yellow this evening!!

I adored this game as a kid.

I forgotten how much of a prick Gary is haha!!

Also screenshots for miiverse...fuck yes!

I'm sure i'm not the first person to post this XD but say hello to my little cutie. Got it on my second attempt XD and my first time ever trying the glitch.

WVW69i8ZYp8bRe_bHf

Just powered up my cartridge to check if they're all still healthy - found I had a level 176 rapidash.... I know it was possible to get over level 100, but even so.. did the glitch randomly give a level, or at some point did I put in stupid effort to make that rapidash level 176?

I can see I have my Persian with Payday - when I realised I couldn't get a persian on x/y I lost all interest... that pay day move made me rich :(

So.. kinda tempted to buy the vc version but are there any additions (beyond miiverse which I don't really use) and pokebank (which I won't use) that make it worth very cash?

Just powered up my cartridge to check if they're all still healthy - found I had a level 176 rapidash.... I know it was possible to get over level 100, but even so.. did the glitch randomly give a level, or at some point did I put in stupid effort to make that rapidash level 176?

I can see I have my Persian with Payday - when I realised I couldn't get a persian on x/y I lost all interest... that pay day move made me rich :(

So.. kinda tempted to buy the vc version but are there any additions (beyond miiverse which I don't really use) and pokebank (which I won't use) that make it worth very cash?

It's a third or a quarter of the price you pay for a brand new Pokémon game?

Me and my brother bought Blue and Red respectively, I spent about an hour earlier trading over all the starting Pokemon so we could both have them all. What are your opinions on the ethics of that? Has anyone else done it?

Me and my brother bought Blue and Red respectively, I spent about an hour earlier trading over all the starting Pokemon so we could both have them all. What are your opinions on the ethics of that? Has anyone else done it?

you put in the effort, seems fair to me :D

if you got a whole bunch of starter pokemon, then offered them for trade but for a real price... then maybe the ethics would be more dubious (has anyone ever sold a pokemon for real money???)

You can use Rare Candy to level up Pokemon who are over level 100 even further. Although it resets if you go too high.

It's a third or a quarter of the price you pay for a brand new Pokémon game?

Sure... but I already have blue.. I don't tend to pay for vc games that I already own...

You can use Rare Candy to level up Pokemon who are over level 100 even further. Although it resets if you go too high.

looked into that, 255 apparently... I don't see that being a problem to be honest, I would be surprised it that rapidash ever gets to 177! and.. I think I'd probably have used rarecandy on persian if any pokemon...

Edited by Pestneb
Automerged Doublepost

Virtual Console games are literally the exact game as before (although a couple of tweaks exist in terms of graphics). They don't add to it.

I'm sure i'm not the first person to post this XD but say hello to my little cutie. Got it on my second attempt XD and my first time ever trying the glitch.

WVW69i8ZYp8bRe_bHf

Actually, you are the first to post it, go you!

I think the most amazing thing about this is you actually using Miiverse.

Damn, this game has got you hooked like a Dragonite that knows Wrap!

Still haven't touched my copy, I think I might be the only 3DS owner who downloaded it but still hasn't played it.

@Glen\-i XD Oh wow i'm the first person to post it here? XD wow...I feel that's an achievement of some sort. XD I did it my second time and this took less pokeball's then that stupid clefairy I missed out on. I'm now stuck with 19 pokeball's! I feel that I wasted precious precious money and bag space.

XD As for Miiverse Dean's taken most the good moments...Though I did miss an opportune moment when Salad fainted from poison. I could of made a funny joke about not making friends with Salad.

You haven't touched it because you want to make all the miiverse posts I bet.

I also got Mew (I just didn't post it here). I had a weak Zubat to knock it down, then switched to Butterfree and put it to sleep. The hardest part was getting an Abra.

I've just done the S.S. Anne and the thunder gym.

Here's my current main team

sBp48WL.jpg

I also picked up Squirtle, but I'm keeping him at a low level to send to Sun/Moon.

Love the feedbacks from young trainers who didn't grow up with RBYG. They are so confused with stuffs like why Gust is not super effective on Bug pokemon etc. :laughing:

I was hoping to have the game finished by now but i've been away fro the weekend and didn't have much to play.

Here's my progress and team so far.

You must have JavaScript enabled on your device to view Miiverse posts that have been embedded in a website. View post in Miiverse

You must have JavaScript enabled on your device to view Miiverse posts that have been embedded in a website. View post in Miiverse

I just need Articuno and Dragonite for my team for years gone by to be complete.

I have to say, the game has aged very well. There were people on Gaf and on here that said that playing the older games all these years later would be a real eye opener for people, due to how badly they have aged, but it hasn't been the case at all.

There is a simplicity and purity of these early games. There's no fluff to them, like petting Pokemon, dressing them up, putting them in competitions etc. It's just a kid on his adventure.

Playing this however has just hit home just how little the series has moved on from its core. To this day you still have to pick one of the 3 starter types which consist of Fire, Water and Grass. There's still some big bad to fight. The structure of the 8 gyms and final battles all remain the same, as well.

For a series that focuses on evolution so much, it could really do with evolving some of these core aspects a little. :D

Really? I'd argue that playing these again has made me think they have aged much worse than I thought and shows how much it has evolved.

I did that as well way back, when I played Blue on the Game Boy. And yeah, if you put in the 2 hours of time it takes (starting over 5 times!) you well deserve it!

Here's my current main team

sBp48WL.jpg

Man, you gotta love these sprites. Plant with eyes, that snake, the substitute figure. Surfing jelly water Pokémon is also classic!

I'm still in doubt if I am going to play it again on VC. I played it back in the days, and played LeafGreen (using the exact same team of Blastoise, Charizard, Vileplume, Butterfree, Pigeot and Raichu). So nostalgia says yes, but time management says no. Also, no local friends to trade with so no 100% completion.

I have to say, the game has aged very well. There were people on Gaf and on here that said that playing the older games all these years later would be a real eye opener for people, due to how badly they have aged, but it hasn't been the case at all.

Really? I'd argue that playing these again has made me think they have aged much worse than I thought and shows how much it has evolved.

Apart from the broken mechanics and maybe some design choices/hardware limitations(?), I'd say it holds up. It's still fun too play.

I was hoping to have the game finished by now but i've been away fro the weekend and didn't have much to play.

Here's my progress and team so far.

I just need Articuno and Dragonite for my team for years gone by to be complete.

There is a simplicity and purity of these early games. There's no fluff to them, like petting Pokemon, dressing them up, putting them in competitions etc. It's just a kid on his adventure.

Playing this however has just hit home just how little the series has moved on from its core. To this day you still have to pick one of the 3 starter types which consist of Fire, Water and Grass. There's still some big bad to fight. The structure of the 8 gyms and final battles all remain the same, as well.

For a series that focuses on evolution so much, it could really do with evolving some of these core aspects a little. :D

Spot on. I couldn't agree more.

I really don't think they have aged badly at all. The newer ones are just the same game with better graphics, new mechanics but the corr gameplay remains the same.

I think the sense of being on an adenture has been lost in the newer games.

I'm loving replaying this game. It has reminded me why I fell in love with Pokemon back in the day.

You haven't touched it because you want to make all the miiverse posts I bet.

Nope.

I haven't touched it because every time I think about starting it, I then think to myself, "But I still haven't got a Kecleon on Super Mystery Dungeon, and Gen 1 is soooooo archaic!"

So I then end up carrying on with PSMD and not once have I regretted it.

I don't think I'll start it until I get everything in that game.

I think the sense of being on an adenture has been lost in the newer games.

:o

Really?!

Interesting.

I would have agreed before I played White / Black which I thought really put the series back on the map (for me, at least).

Esepcially with the graphical enhancements. I remember the bridge section that you go over and the city comes into view (am I remembering this correctly?!).

Absolutely amazing.

It really felt like I was the most immersed I've ever been in a Pokemon game. I'd love to see them push it even further in future generations.

It's just a shame they remade Ruby and Sapphire, which were, IMO, shite! And undid all the hard work! Even X and Y weren't my favourites!

:smile:

:o

Really?!

Interesting.

I would have agreed before I played White / Black which I thought really put the series back on the map (for me, at least).

Esepcially with the graphical enhancements. I remember the bridge section that you go over and the city comes into view (am I remembering this correctly?!).

Absolutely amazing.

You're remembering it right. That bridge is great.

skyridgesea.png

You can't see it here, but there's a really cool dynamic camera effect as you walk along it.

That game did so many things right, it just makes current gen look a bit, bland.

I'm hoping Sun/Moon follows the trend of late Pokemon games on console being fantastic. I would be totally OK with another Gold/Silver, Black/White situation.

Edited by Glen-i