NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Pokemon Red, Blue & Yellow (3DS Virtual Console)

Oh man, they would have been real useful during the Elite Four.

Restore points are literally one of my favourite things, there's no way I'd have come close to finishing Sin & Punishment without them.

Still buying this though, obviously.

Slightly off topic but:

This sort of thing is quite annoying actually. When it comes to the NX and the rumoured cloud saves of the platform they cannot be pulling this rubbish. I have often worried about my AC save and being able to backup or restore it form the cloud would be a good thing.

Why are some games like Pokemon and Animal Crossing deemed so holy by Nintendo that people cannot cheat with save game copying stuff, but others not, such as Zelda?

Slightly off topic but:

This sort of thing is quite annoying actually. When it comes to the NX and the rumoured cloud saves of the platform they cannot be pulling this rubbish. I have often worried about my AC save and being able to backup or restore it form the cloud would be a good thing.

Why are some games like Pokemon and Animal Crossing deemed so holy by Nintendo that people cannot cheat with save game copying stuff, but others not, such as Zelda?

Because those games have you interacting with other players; there's a social element involved with Pokemon that is ruined if people are allowed to cheat.

Zelda is a single player game though. You cheating in that has no consequence to anyone else playing the game; not so with Pokemon or Animal Crossing though...

Edited by Dcubed

Slightly off topic but:

With Pokémon it makes perfect sense.

Say you got a Mew from an event. You give it to a friend, but then use a restore point back to when you still had it. It's cloned. That's what they're trying to stop.

Animal Crossing, I don't know

Say you got a Mew from an event. You give it to a friend, but then use a restore point back to when you still had it. It's cloned. That's what they're trying to stop.

Animal Crossing has item and currency trading. Cloning those and allowing easy cheating destroys the whole trading/social/economy element of the game, just like with Pokemon.

Monster Hunter disables save backups as well I believe (there is very limited item trading involved, only crappy low level stuff, but it's there. You might not be able to trade the good stuff, but if they allowed it, that would allow you to clone and sell them for infinite cash :p )

Edited by Dcubed

Replace Mew with "Special event furniture" and you've answered your own question.

If people actually need a restore point to finish Pokemon R/B/Y, I would laugh in their face. You can literally save anywhere. Even during the Elite Four! The game is not going to suffer for the lack of it.

Isn't the restore/suspended point created when you stop play, and destroyed when you resume? The way it works on Wii and Wii U VC? Or is it different on 3DS and more like traditional PC emulation with save slots? It's been a while since I've done 3DS VC.

Because if it's the normal quit and come back suspended point I can't see how that could affect trading. Especially since you save before any trading.

As expected, they've disabled the Restore Point feature for these VC releases (to stop cheating with cloned Pokemon).

Isn't it more so you don't create restore points while using the wireless?

Seems utterly pointless to care about cloning in these versions. Edit: I guess for wifi battles against a team of 6 Mewtwo. :p

Are they going to patch the Missigno glitch to prevent people getting level 255 Pokemon?

Edited by Ike

I don't see that other people in the game cheating would really effect anyone else even in social games. Other than possibly people playing Pokemon against each other. When you play a game like Zelda you could still say someone who cheated to complete the game early (and thus boasted about it?) had a social impact on their friends in the same way as someone who completed Pokemon or got the best house in AC.

Competition could be an issue I guess, but not for the vast majority of people.

The disadvantage is the fragile nature of the 3DS - everything is tied to the machine architecture and the possibility of losing a save game that need not be lost.

Isn't the restore/suspended point created when you stop play, and destroyed when you resume? The way it works on Wii and Wii U VC? Or is it different on 3DS and more like traditional PC emulation with save slots? It's been a while since I've done 3DS VC.

Because if it's the normal quit and come back suspended point I can't see how that could affect trading. Especially since you save before any trading.

What you're thinking of are Suspend Saves and they're supported here, just like they are with all VC games on 3DS, Wii U and (with some exceptions) on Wii. That's the one that makes a temporary save state that is deleted when you return to the game.

Restore Points are like the save states that you see on PC, where you can make a permanent save state that can be reloaded whenever you want, as many times as you want. That's the one that allows you to cheat and that's the one that is disabled here.

Are they going to patch the Missigno glitch to prevent people getting level 255 Pokemon?

They had better not touch that! I'm already annoyed at the lack of save states without adding this into the mix. Watch them remove it, don't allow for save states and then charge a premium price when the game releases.

What you're thinking of are Suspend Saves and they're supported here, just like they are with all VC games on 3DS, Wii U and (with some exceptions) on Wii. That's the one that makes a temporary save state that is deleted when you return to the game.

Restore Points are like the save states that you see on PC, where you can make a permanent save state that can be reloaded whenever you want, as many times as you want. That's the one that allows you to cheat and that's the one that is disabled here.

Hmm. So as I thought. I didn't know 3ds had restore points then.

They had better not touch that! I'm already annoyed at the lack of save states without adding this into the mix. Watch them remove it, don't allow for save states and then charge a premium price when the game releases.

It may not be their choice. The way Missingno works may cause the 3DS to crash out of the game.

Missingno is quite a tiny issue compared to the actual problems the game is littered with.

mWhKx8l.jpg

Worth a read, there are some hilarious and unfair glitches going on here.

A few of my favourites:

- Focus Energy actually lowering your critical rate instead of raising it.

- Using Substitute when you have exactly 25% HP causes you to kill yourself.

- Blizzard's ridiculously unfair 90% accuracy.

- Everything about the Rage move.

- I abuse that Infinite Fly/Dig glitch as much as possible, that will teach you for spamming Confuse Ray.

- Also, spamming Wrap and Fire Spin, it never gets unfunny. Unless someone uses it against you, then you want to just punch them in the face!

Edited by Glen-i

A few details about the games.

The new Pokemon 3DS Virtual Console games don’t support Restore Points. However, Red, Blue, and Yellow will all allow for wireless trading and battling. GamesBeat shares more about how this works.

You can begin trading by talking to the Cable Club counter. After that, a menu shows up on the lower screen that lets you set up a room or join somebody else’s request. Like the original versions, you sit down at the terminals across from the opposing player. Wireless battles work in a similar fashion.

This shouldn’t be a major shock, but it’s not possible to trade Pokemon you’ve caught in the Virtual Console games to the newer entries. Trading is only allowed between Red, Blue, and Yellow.

We also have a couple of other random tidbits. The Game Boy Printer menus are still in, and Surfing Pikachu remains in the games as well. However, Nintendo isn’t sure how or if it would be distributed.

Figured I would put this here.

V1K6uKt.jpg

m2UbWCJ.jpg

Qo4DGv5.jpg

Red and Blue being the trainers. While there is already a Red nendoroid, it's modeled after his FRLG appearance while this one is closer to the art for the original game. They will be in a special bundle for the low, low price of 7500 Yen. Each trainer comes with two face parts, two feet parts, and Blue has six different arm parts while Red only has five. Blue beats out Red yet again. T

There's also MEW, and you can change around his parts as well. Extra accessories include Pokeballs and a backpack. It's out July 9th, but you can reserve starting on February 27th. It will be available at Japanese Pokemon Centers and Japanese Amazon.

It's cool that they're making other ones based off of the original RBY artwork instead of FR/LG, but for some reason, I'm not really as keen on them as the other Red Nendoroid...

Supposedly there's a lot more Pokemon figures coming this year as well.

Also supposedly they're making some new artwork for RBY!

Here's a tease of the first one...

KgK2YUn.jpg

Edited by Dcubed

Missingno is quite a tiny issue compared to the actual problems the game is littered with.

mWhKx8l.jpg

Worth a read, there are some hilarious and unfair glitches going on here.

A few of my favourites:

- Focus Energy actually lowering your critical rate instead of raising it.

- Using Substitute when you have exactly 25% HP causes you to kill yourself.

- Blizzard's ridiculously unfair 90% accuracy.

- Everything about the Rage move.

- I abuse that Infinite Fly/Dig glitch as much as possible, that will teach you for spamming Confuse Ray.

- Also, spamming Wrap and Fire Spin, it never gets unfunny. Unless someone uses it against you, then you want to just punch them in the face!

Ewww... What a competitive nightmare.

Cak_Wx5UkAAre04.png

There's the full version of that new piece of artwork that was teased :)

On a related and yet strangely unrelated note, Goodsmile just announced a ton of new Figma/Nendoroid figures based on Pokemon and other Nintendo franchises! :D

Oh this is cool!

http://www.gonintendo.com/stories/252383-pokemon-red-blue-yellow-to-come-in-english-spanish-french-on-na-e

They're actually releasing the Spanish and French versions of RBY in the US this time! (Pretty sure they only ever released it in English there originally)

They're obviously just using the original EU versions here, but that's still pretty awesome to see :)

Pokémon Red, Blue and Yellow launch on the 3DS Virtual Console later this month, and the relevant game pages have just gone live on the North American and European eShops.

The big news here is that European pricing has finally been confirmed. Each game will cost £8.99/€9.99.

I didn't see that comi......wait a minute.

*awaits the "but they put link cable support in" comments*

What's worse, is that each language version is sold separately. Bad pricing move from Nintendo i think.

What's worse, is that each language version is sold separately. Bad pricing move from Nintendo i think.

Well the game didn't include all languages so what did you expect them to do?

I didn't see that comi......wait a minute.

*awaits the "but they put link cable support in" comments*

To be fair, we've known there would be an increase in price since the announcement :p

Oh this is cool!

http://www.gonintendo.com/stories/252383-pokemon-red-blue-yellow-to-come-in-english-spanish-french-on-na-e

They're actually releasing the Spanish and French versions of RBY in the US this time! (Pretty sure they only ever released it in English there originally)

They're obviously just using the original EU versions here, but that's still pretty awesome to see :)

About damn time! The NTSC version is also the version that Latin America gets to have. It has always been ridiculous that games get translated for Spain, but not for the millions of Spanish speakers on the other side of the Atlantic.