NEurope
ReZourceman

Pokémon Picross

This year? Love the sound of Pokemon Picross.

Edited by Tales

Do want! Loves me some Picross!

Still waiting on Club Nintendo Picross Nintendo... (though it's due a name change now ;) )

Just read it is "free-to-start"...whatever that means...

It's Nintendo just being Nintendo. If they don't come up with it then they feel they have to put their own spin on it. It's essentially free to play.

Just read it is "free-to-start"...whatever that means...

It's basically like Fullblox. It's like a demo where you get a few puzzles to start off with and then you buy more in-game with eShop funds.

It's Nintendo just being Nintendo. If they don't come up with it then they feel they have to put their own spin on it. It's essentially free to play.

Or, it's Nintendo being more honest with the terminology. Free to play is misleading, Free to start isn't. Iwata said earlier this year that he didn't like the term free to play.

Or, it's Nintendo being more honest with the terminology. Free to play is misleading, Free to start isn't.

I prefer to look at it my way.

The way this game is put together is slightly different though is it not?

Unless I misunderstood it, the way in which it was presented seemed to suggest that all of the puzzles would be free - a few to start with more released over time - but that you could optionally purchase something called "Picrats" which would give you an advantage for certain puzzles.

Or did I misunderstand it completely? :heh:

If it's free for the puzzles which you can then choose to play without the extra - and unnecessary - assistance then I'm all in! : peace:

The way this game is put together is slightly different though is it not?

No idea. I seen it was free to play, had paid content and then completely zoned out and lost all interest. :D

But what I mean is, if you get to play the game as a normal Picross game, with the only chargable piece of the software being the bit that you really don't need anyway, then it's essentially a free Picross game with more puzzles added to it on a regular basis. :)

Normally I don't even touch any of the other "Free to Start" Pokemon games but this seems to be worth investigating.

It's basically like Fullblox. It's like a demo where you get a few puzzles to start off with and then you buy more in-game with eShop funds.

It's closer to Rumble World to Fullblox.

http://www.serebii.net/picross/picrites.shtml

You don't buy more courses, you buy Picrites which can be used to speed up recovery time or to unlock new areas.

There's a top limit of the amount you can buy which then seems to make things a bit easier to stomach, just like Rumble World.

You can play it all without paying a penny.

Edited by Serebii

So long as I can unlock and play a few puzzles per day/week for free then I'm happy. : peace:

I remember when Picross DS came out at the same time as Puzzle League DS in 2007, they were both £19.99 (about £10 cheaper than typical DS RRP at the time) and had more longevity than anything else I bought for the DS.

I'd happily pay for a retail version of this if it killed off the free-to-start aspect...

Well I've got through all 30 areas now, got all the Pokémon (barring Mythicals) and so forth. Decent enough title though it's quite clear they want you to pay in it, but that's fine. They have that upper limit and some perks to remove the F2P crap. Buy the upper limit and you're set. Removes the stamina mode and gives you 1000 free Picrites until you're over 8000 whenever you're under 8000.

Bonza

How much is that? Is it a similar price to normal pixels games?

God no :p It's ~£28.

I did it on the Japanese one though so that came out to be around £17 due to exchange rates and no UK prices

God no :p It's ~£28.

I did it on the Japanese one though so that came out to be around £17 due to exchange rates and no UK prices

Oh boy... I'll checking out, see if it's as horrific as it sounds.

Oh boy... I'll checking out, see if it's as horrific as it sounds.

nintendo have truly embraced the whole free to play or free to start as they like to call it.

£28 for the whole lot is pretty horrific.

I only just started so still on the free levels.

nintendo have truly embraced the whole free to play or free to start as they like to call it.

£28 for the whole lot is pretty horrific.

I only just started so still on the free levels.

At least there's an upper limit and various perks for buying. Most F2P games do neither

@Serebii - is there a full game in there if you spend 28 quid? I am thinking the size of the original Picross on the DS? (Which I know was cheaper anyway). Or does the game feel more like a downloadable game?

The 5 quid Picross e series was pretty good value for money. In the end I bought all of the chunks and ended up spending about the same. I would consider doing the same for the new game if the content was there.

Whats the maximum sized grid?

Started this yesterday and it doesn't seem too manipulative so far to be honest. But maybe it's just hooking me in!

Unless you want to blitz the puzzles, seems you won't have to spend much money, if any.

Could have done with some Picross style Pokemon music remixes, but otherwise it's been fun.