NEurope
Serebii

Star Trek Discovery (2017)

So Discovery just had its midseason finale this week. What do you guys think of the show so far?

I thought it got better as the season went on with episodes feeling a lot more "Star Trek". I still dont really like any of the crew though apart from Tilly. I'm glad we got the announcement that for season 2 they were doing a time travel season and swapping in the crews from TNG, DS9 and Voyager.

I was dreading the Mirror Universe, but I think they did a good job. 

I also got a new model ship. I'd love to have a time travel story revolving around it.

Ed8cktP.jpg

I'd watch a spin-off show about the adventures of Captain Killy. Both the real and the fake one.

I liked the last two episodes, even though I was also worried about where they are now. Too much is happening though, we're only in the middle of the first season!

It didn't dawn on me at first but when Micheal was asked to pick a Kelpien slave by the Emperor

Spoiler

she was picking one that would be turned into her dinner a little later on...

Edited by Helmsly

Wasn't that

Spoiler

MU Saru?

I wasn't sure.

It was also fun to watch the Enterprise 2-parter In a mirror, darkly afterwards, for various reasons. I'll also watch the TOS epsiode The Tholian web probably. I hope the Defiant actually makes an appearance in the remaining episodes ha. I wonder what happened to it after those Enterprise episodes.

Edited by Sméagol

Spoiler

It wasn't mirror Saru (he's on the Shenzhou), although I believe that it was a similar (but slightly different) mask on Doug Jones. 

7 hours ago, Sméagol said:

Wasn't that

mirror universe (Hide contents)

MU Saru?

I wasn't sure.

It was also fun to watch the Enterprise 2-parter In a mirror, darkly afterwards, for various reasons. I'll also watch the TOS epsiode The Tholian web probably. I hope the Defiant actually makes an appearance in the remaining episodes ha. I wonder what happened to it after those Enterprise episodes.

I was thinking about re watching those Enterprise episodes again as well. I only saw them around a year and a half ago but I've forgotten everything about them already. I was wondering if we'll see any of the actors from Enterprise in Discovery at some point, like the Mirror version of Hoshi.

So have people watched the season finale yet?

Spoiler

I was disappointed that the Klingon war ended that quickly and easily. Everything felt a bit rushed. It was a bit of a meh episode with a few good moments spread throughout. Always nice to see Killy back, I'm glad Emperor Georgiou is still out there somewhere as I've really liked Michelle Yeoh this season.

The Enterprise and Pike! Gonna be interesting to see what they do there. Will we see Spock and if so who will play him?

I really liked the redesign they did to the Enterprise as well. Nothing too major changed but enough that it doesn't look out of place with Discovery.

PVZ8EhA.gif

Overall the show did grow on me throughout the season. I think they still have issues with the crew and need to give them more screen time. I couldn't tell you half of their names other than the obvious ones but by the end of the finale they made it obvious who we are supposed to know.

The Klingon redesign though....I doubt I will ever be onboard with that.

Edited by Happenstance

Yeah, the end to the Klingon war was disappointing. That said, I loved the "epilogue" part of the episode. And I liked the season overall. Can't wait to see who the additions to the cast will be. At the very least, there seems to be a new captain, though Saru should be perfect for that position. But I'd also like to see more of the other crewmembers. That's so far my only complaint about the show, especially compared to other Star Trek shows. The previous Star Trek shows were always ensemble shows. With most crewmembers getting a chance to shine, but in Discovery, the focus was only on a few.

The ending seemed like a "just in case we're cancelled" ending - I'm pretty certain that it will delve into stuff more next season, and that the Klingon arc isn't fully over.

Discovery seemed to have as many main characters as the other shows - it's just that this is the first time we don't know most of the bridge crew. I do want to learn more about them, though.

5 hours ago, Cube said:

it's just that this is the first time we don't know most of the bridge crew. 

And the first time a lot of them are already dead. :D

I enjoyed season one more and more as it went on. Looking forward to season two.

• Like 1

There were rocky moments, but generally I liked the tone. I didn't believe the Tyler arc though, even for sci-fi, my limits were pushed.

Never been a Star Trek fan before, but I enjoyed Discovery. Sonnqua Martin-Green played her really well.

Agree with Iun that the Tyler arc felt a bit ridiculous. I reckon they're going to use his character as a bit of a magic wand in future.

I didn't find the Tyler arc was any more or less ridiculous than most other Trek stories. I actually liked the dark tone the arc brought - Klingon torture actually looked frightening for the first time. 

The Tyler arc was a bit weird but it’s not the first time we’ve seen a Klingon turned into a human in Trek. We know from Trouble With Tribbles that it carries on happening in the future.

15 minutes ago, somme said:

I didn't find the Tyler arc was any more or less ridiculous than most other Trek stories. I actually liked the dark tone the arc brought - Klingon torture actually looked frightening for the first time. 

It wasn't just the unrealistic nature of it, more how it felt just a bit brushed over and written to plug a plot hole.