NEurope
Serebii

Star Trek Discovery (2017)

Well between Enterprise and TNG then - The Kilingons were infected with the Augment virus in Enterprise and started regressing to the human form and were eventually healed, so it would be fitting that thats during that cycle of them looking less traditional Klingon

Enterprise even suggested a way that Klingons could have different groups that look differently.

'Star Trek: Discovery' to Premiere in Late Summer or Fall, CBS CEO Says

Star Trek: Discovery is now set to premiere later this year on CBS All Access.

Leslie Moonves, CEO of CBS, on Monday told the Morgan Stanley Technology, Media & Telecom Conference that the reboot of the sci-fi franchise will debut "in late summer, early fall we're looking at probably, right now."

Originally slated to debut last month as CBS All Access' first original scripted series, the project has been delayed several times, most notably due to the departure of Bryan Fuller as showrunner.

Source

Trailer Here

I really like the look of it. Interesting that we don't see the USS Discovery in the trailer.

Edit: UK trailer

Interestingly, the lens flare is massively reduced (or not there at all) in some of the same shots.

It's also now 15 episodes, up from 13.

Edited by Cube

Not sure which timeline it's in? Prime Timeline or Kelvin Timeline?

Its supposed to be the Prime timeline.

I'm just getting a bit sick of all these prequels. For a show that is all about looking to the future etc it does go backwards way too often.

Its supposed to be the Prime timeline.

I'm just getting a bit sick of all these prequels. For a show that is all about looking to the future etc it does go backwards way too often.

Yeah, can we not stick something 30 years after TNG? That way we can have nifty cameos with the cast from the different 90s series. This trailer just makes me think they're gonna mess up some timeline or established part of canon.

Actually can I just have another 10 seasons of TNG?

Edited by Mr_Odwin

I do not like the look of the Klingons they look like someone got the JJ universe Klingons and microwaved the prosthetics!

other than that though it looked good, interesting how we may not have seen the Destiny in it (if you zoom in on bits you see a different ship name/registry in some scenes)

If there's a Star Trek show, I think it would have to be set in another galaxy, with the Federation just starting out there. Then again, that's now kind of a trope for sci-fi franchises that have written themselves into a corner (Stargate and Mass Effect come to mind). It's either that or the even worse trope of "random new super mega threat appears" (like Stargate and Star Wars Legends).

I don't mind the visual changes at all. Star Trek was always supposed to represent our future, so updating the look to reflect the progress we have made makes sense to me - not to mention the cast which reflects the social progress we've made.

Set phasers to FUCK YEAH!!

I'm loving it. Hopefully the CGI will get cleaned up a tad before release (I think it usually gets another pass over) but yeah, I'm excited. I need more Michelle Yeoh in my life.

The Klingons look awful but I'll still watch it. I'm hoping it's much like Trek of old that raises societal and philosophical issues, rather than a CGI-action fest that the movies have become (though I did like the last one).

[tweet]876831970839347202[/tweet]

So that should be 25-09-2017 for us.

Yup. 25th Sept to 5th Nov then back in Jan 2018 after 2 months break for the holiday.

I'm hoping they've just thrown all the action bits into the trailer, as I do prefer Trek's slower parts with social commentary or at least something more to say than "explosion".

Either way, I'm still cautiously optimistic and will watch it all as I don't want this to be the last Trek show for another decade. 

Here's what I think that they should have done. Keep the 'Discovery' name, but drop all of the 'Star Trek' references. Make it something brand new with its own lore and allow it to survive on its own merits. There's potential there for a good show and I'd probably watch it.

Sounds great. I'm still mildly hyped. September has been good for sci-fi on Netflix, with The expanse season 2 at the start and Star Trek at the end.

Gave it a watch. Definitely a strong starter, just worry this'll be too action focused like AbramsTrek and not true Star Trek, but it show signs of the allegories we expect from proper Trek so let's see if its momentum continues

I thought it struck a nice balance between Nu-Trek and classic Trek myself.  Definitely reckon it has potential.

1 hour ago, Serebii said:

Gave it a watch. Definitely a strong starter, just worry this'll be too action focused like AbramsTrek and not true Star Trek, but it show signs of the allegories we expect from proper Trek so let's see if its momentum continues

With this series being focused on the Klingon War, I'd expect it to be very action heavy.