NEurope
Serebii

Star Trek Discovery (2017)

http://www.startrek.com/article/new-star-trek-series-premieres-january-2017

CBS Television Studios announced today it will launch a totally new Star Trek television series in January 2017. The new series will blast off with a special preview broadcast on the CBS Television Network. The premiere episode and all subsequent first-run episodes will then be available exclusively in the United States on CBS All Access, the Network’s digital subscription video on demand and live streaming service.

The next chapter of the Star Trek franchise will also be distributed concurrently for television and multiple platforms around the world by CBS Studios International.

The new program will be the first original series developed specifically for U.S. audiences for CBS All Access, a cross-platform streaming service that brings viewers thousands of episodes from CBS’s current and past seasons on demand, plus the ability to stream their local CBS Television station live for $5.99 per month. CBS All Access already offers every episode of all previous Star Trek television series.

The brand-new Star Trek will introduce new characters seeking imaginative new worlds and new civilizations, while exploring the dramatic contemporary themes that have been a signature of the franchise since its inception in 1966.

Alex Kurtzman will serve as executive producer for the new Star Trek TV series. Kurtzman co-wrote and produced the blockbuster films Star Trek (2009) with Roberto Orci, and Star Trek Into Darkness (2013) with Orci and Damon Lindelof. Both films were produced and directed by J.J. Abrams.

Holy crap.

Let's just hope Kurtzman doesn't screw it up like the recent two movies. That said, he did help make Fringe so potential

Edited by Serebii

Its going to completely depend on what continuity they base it on for me. If its just a spin off from the current movies then I'm not bothering with it.

Its going to completely depend on what continuity they base it on for me. If its just a spin off from the current movies then I'm not bothering with it.
The new television series is not related to the upcoming feature film Star Trek Beyond, which is scheduled to be distributed by Paramount Pictures in summer 2016.

Which doesn't mean it won't / can't use the continuity of the films, but I really hope they will continue where Voyager left off. And I hope it will come to Netflix here, as we obviously don't have that CBS streaming service.

That said, the fan-made series Renegades has a new Kickstarter up for episodes 2 and 3, and I'll probably pledge something. It would be so cool if CBS acknowledges Rernegades in the new series..

It would be so cool if CBS acknowledges Rernegades in the new series..

Oh god, no. Renegades is pretty much the definition of what Star Trek shouldn't be.

Which doesn't mean it won't / can't use the continuity of the films, but I really hope they will continue where Voyager left off.

Wouldn't the Federation be a little OP after Voyager brought back those Borg killing weapons and awesome shielding in the final episode? Saying that, I don't remember these things being used in Nemesis.

Gonna set my phaser to skeptical mode as we know nothing about the new series until sometime in 2017. Could be a loose continuity from the Original Universe (ENT,TOS, TNG, DS9, VOG) or the Reboot Universe.

Hope the new starship is sexier than Delta Flyer!

Wouldn't the Federation be a little OP after Voyager brought back those Borg killing weapons and awesome shielding in the final episode? Saying that, I don't remember these things being used in Nemesis.
Apparently USS Enterprise-E is the only ship equipped with transphasic torpedoes but only use them as a last resort against the Borg. Dunno about the ablative generator but USS Defiant and USS Prometheus have the ablative armour hull prior the Voyager Endgame. Maybe they reverse-engineering it and save it for the Borg Invasion in the future. Edited by DriftKaiser

Apparently USS Enterprise-E is the only ship equipped with transphasic torpedoes but only use them as a last resort against the Borg. Dunno about the ablative generator but USS Defiant and USS Prometheus have the ablative armour hull prior the Voyager Endgame. Maybe they reverse-engineering it and save it for the Borg Invasion in the future.

Yeah, I remember the Defiant had the armour. It's a tough little ship. :D

Bryan Fuller's Star Trek TV series apparently WON'T be set in the JJ Abrams movie universe

There are rumblings that Bryan Fuller's Star Trek TV series will not be set in the same universe as the JJ Abrams-produced movie franchise.

CBS and Fuller's team are apparently keen to restore the new spinoff into the same continuity as the classic Star Trek television show, according to Birth Movies Death.

Early reports suggest the new drama is being set on a ship other than the Enterprise between the original cast's 1991 big screen adventure Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country and long-running '90s TV hit Star Trek: The Next Generation.

CBS hasn't yet confirmed this development, but it fits with Bryan Fuller's past comments that his series won't cross over with the Abrams universe.

A classic Star Trek connection also aligns with Fuller bulking his staff up with The Wrath of Khan writer-director Nicholas Meyer and series creator Gene Roddenberry's son Rod Roddenberry.

The currently-untitled Star Trek spinoff debuts on CBS early next year, before moving over to the CBS All Access digital hub.

http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/star-trek/news/a790553/bryan-fullers-star-trek-tv-series-apparently-wont-be-set-in-the-jj-abrams-movie-universe/

God I hope this is true!

It's been looking extremely unlikely that it will be in the JJ universe for ages, with Paramount forcing CBS to wait until 6 months after Beyond and how CBS would have to "OK" everything and share licenses with Paramount if it were set in the JJ universe.

I'm not entirely sure about the idea of it being set in between TOS and TNG, though, but the original source has an interesting update.

UPDATE! A trusted source has chimed in and told me that it looks like the show will be a seasonal anthology, which means the first season will be set post-Undiscovered Country. After that the entire Star Trek universe is potentially open. So those of you hoping for a post-Dominion War show... don't give up hope. That could come some day.

Still, it's all rumours at the moment.

One of the ideas I had years ago, for a new series, was one without a dedicated crew / setting, and multiple mini arcs within the season. A bit like the last season of Enterprise, but again, without a dedicated crew and setting.

The problem with that is the cost of new sets every time.. This rumour pretty much solves that. I'd be all up for this.

Teaser

Interestingly, it says "new crews" (plural). Which fits in with the anthology rumour.

It almost doesn't look classy enough for Star Trek. Has budget vibes... the kinda vibes I get from Supergirl.

Maybe they might do something similar to Game of Thrones with different factions like Federation, Klingon, Romulans etc?

Yeah... going past the earth.. presumably at warp speed?? looks a bit iffy.. if the stars are stretched then surely the earth should as well... and being closer would it not appear to do so more? and then at 0:14.. that "exploding ice" planet... looks very early 90's cgi to me. obviously there is no real life reference to draw from :D But even so I would expect a few more sharp edges amongst the shards and edge of the explosion.. thinking rock here... idk Personal opinion perhaps.

Also the badge looks pretty battered.. and the two sides seem separated, which makes me think about the klingon badge. Just wondering.. if this is based after the war with the dominion in DS9, could the two sides have retained closer relations, and to have begun to co-operate...it would diminish in effect their borders, they could focus on other threats while they grew.. having been forced to co-operate against the founders could have developed diplomatic ties etc.... with access to the wormhole and having made peace with the founders (and having an almost ambassador with odo...)

Tbh even if it isn't great I'd be interested to see the story. I was always disappointed that enterprise never got a full run... it was different but I really enjoyed that series.. shame we'll never get to see it reach a full conclusion.

Yeah, you should never go to warp inside a solar system. Madness.

:p

You guys... this is just a thrown together CG teaser to raise awareness about the existence of a new series. It's not footage from the show. I thought it was good for the music alone.

It made me feel like it might be a (CG) cartoon. I did not get the sound though - so that might have added to the feels.