NEurope
Dcubed

Vote: Which was your favorite Nintendo console/handheld?

Your Favorite Nintendo Console/Handheld  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Your Favorite Nintendo Console/Handheld

why would you want to play an awkwardly controlled and mostly underwhelming FPS (with admitedly good level design) when you could have been playing stuff that is still very much relevant and playable today like Half Life, System Shock and Quake on a PC?

The divide between console and PC audiences has always been a thing. Back then, there was at least the split-screen multiplayer, which was a clear advantage over the niche LAN parties.

(Also, did you mean System Shock 2? The first one was pretty hard to play)

Voted N64. They got 3D right first time with so many of their franchises, I still don't think many have been surpassed despite graphics/technology moving on so much since. And there was Rareware in their prime.

GameCube was also really great. I don't think the sequels were quite as good as a lot of the N64 games though. Wii and Wii U have been big let downs.

The divide between console and PC audiences has always been a thing. Back then, there was at least the split-screen multiplayer, which was a clear advantage over the niche LAN parties.

(Also, did you mean System Shock 2? The first one was pretty hard to play)

I know, I just like to poopoo on GoldenEye/Perfect Dark. First time I played Goldeneye was at a friend's around Feb. 99, and having spent most of my Xmas holiday glued to Quake 2 at my neighbour's and at my cousin's, I just couldn't understand why anyone would want to play it.

I experienced the same thing with Timesplitters 2... at first, but that game ended up winning me over with everything it did right, where as GoldenEye mostly bored me. I need to get the Wii homebrew pointer thingy working for that game and dive back into it someday. I also need to play the new version Perfect Dark, that game was actually quite interesting, in many ways, I might actually like it without the gameplay holding it back.

Yeah, SS2 (which I only played years later anyway), the first one is kind of a good game, but barely worth mentioning, all things considered.

While the SNES and GameCube both mastered the genres set out by their predecessors, I have so many fond memories of my N64 that my vote went to Nintendo's final cartridge-based home console.

The N64 showed what 3D games could look & play like, and it just had so many "wow" moments and innovations: the Rumble Pak, analogue stick, 4-player gaming as standard amongst the top innovations. Who can forget controlling Mario in 3D for the first time? The first time you picked up the Sniper Rifle in Goldeneye and zoomed in to see actual faces on the soldiers in Goldeneye? Visiting Hyrule as an adult & seeing how it had changed? Nailing that shortcut on Koopa Troopa Beach? The list could go on.

This was my first Nintendo console and I spent many hours playing multiplayer games with friends, whether at each of our houses or even in our 6th Form common room. I could bore you all with stories but I'll save them for another time! It's the N64 for me.

I got into the NINTENDO magic a bit late with buying a Cube in its final year.

Though the Cube has 2 of my most cherised games of all time (Paper Mario and The Thousand Year Door & The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker) and had me experience buying an actual Zelda game for the first time, for my own console and getting ridiculously immersed in its world, ..... I had to vote Wii.

A console that houses:

lks.jpg

and Super Smash Bros. Brawl hasn't been topped yet in my list.

I wonder if I'll ever come across a game that will have a more special place in my heart than Little King's Story.