NEurope
Dcubed

Vote: Which was your favorite Nintendo console/handheld?

Your Favorite Nintendo Console/Handheld  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Your Favorite Nintendo Console/Handheld

Been seeing a lot of love for the N64 recently, so I thought it would be fun to see if I'm right in guessing that it's most people's favorite round here!

Couple of rules in place that I think make things fair. When judging a console's library, Virtual Console and hardware backwards compatibility does not count (otherwise it would be pretty unfair really), ports and multiplatform games do count (though bear in mind if there was a better version of the game available at the time on a different console during that same generation - remasters/ports on later gen consoles shouldn't be taken into account as they were a non-factor at the time) and newly made downloadable games from WiiWare/DSiWare/eShop do count (games are games and many of them would've been viable retail releases back in the day).

Let's keep the bickering to a minimum and have at it! : peace:

Edited by Dcubed

I voted N64. The first real Nintendo console that I loved. Most of my appreciation for the GameCube and Wii came from everything that started with my fondness of the N64.

If I could narrow it down to 5 key titles, they would be:

Ocarina of Time - my then favourite game of all time.

Majora's Mask - very psychedelic and just an all-round mindfuck.

F Zero X - intense speed...found it exhilarating.

Mario Kart 64 - 4 player heaven.

Goldeneye - 4 player heaven with an excellent story mode. :P

I think I'll have to go with the Wii U. Mostly for the reasons I wrote about in the "best Nintendo controller" thread a while ba- wait what, that was 17 months ago?! :eek:

...But yeah, in addition to what I wrote back then, the Wii U also has so many amazing games, many of which are my favourite games in their respective series (Super Smash Bros. for Wii U, New Super Mario Bros. U, Super Mario 3D World, Mario Kart 8, LEGO City Undercover, etc), and many more great games coming up, too. And with the backwards compatibility it can also play all of my favourite Wii games - which includes my favourite game of all time.*

Also, I absolutely love the UI. I have on numerous occasions, on my way to start up a game, just stopped to appreciate the design of the menu. It's so clean and crisp and wonderful! (Yes, I know I'm weird.) It also introduced the always-amazing Miiverse, has the best console Internet Browser, and the Wii U eShop is the first digital store on a console I've enjoyed using.

All in all, I just love turning on my Wii U, no matter what I play or do on it. It's just a joy to use! :yay:

EDIT:

* I still say it should count just a little bit. :(

Edited by FireMeowth

I'm going to say it. Wii U hands down.

Last gen, I was going through gaming burnout. Wii games were few and far between, Xbox 360/PS3 titles were good, but never put a smile on my face. Everything started feeling standardised. Things were good games, but not exciting for me to play. Too much focus on cinematics and story and not enough on actual gameplay.

Then, the Wii U came out. Its launch was a bit rocky, but it has become my favourite console of all time. The games Nintendo have put out have been phenomenal. Sure, other consoles had games that were revolutionary, but the games on the Wii U that Nintendo have provided just continue to put a smile on my face. It's part of why I have yet to get a PS4, the games there just feel too much like how I felt with 360/PS3, just with better graphics.

So, Wii U and 3DS are the ultimate gaming combo for me. Nintendo is at its creative and gaming peak so far, and it perplexes me that people keep shunning and trashing them.

Last gen, I was going through gaming burnout. Wii games were few and far between, Xbox 360/PS3 titles were good, but never put a smile on my face. Everything started feeling standardised. Things were good games, but not exciting for me to play.

See this is exactly how I feel about the Wii U.

I'm not sure about my answer. I have a fondness for the GameCube but it might be because of where I was in my life at that time (college with friends around often etc)

I'm glad the rules were enforced in the opening post as I would have definitely said Wii without those in place due to the GC backwards compatibility and the access to great SNES, Mega Drive and N64 games, amongst others :grin:

As it is, I voted for the N64 as it has easily been my favourite. It would be amazing to have that Rare and that Nintendo back firing on all cylinders!

Eschewed voting - which WAS your favourite. This plays into the nostalgia factor :) Though that's probably the point. I don't think it'd be that surprising it would be the n64 considering how old we all are.

Eschewed voting - which WAS your favourite. This plays into the nostalgia factor :) Though that's probably the point. I don't think it'd be that surprising it would be the n64 considering how old we all are.

Well it would be hard to not have any sort of nostalgia factor at play here :p

Personally I'm surprised at the lack of votes for the SNES so far. Would've thought that would be higher up on the list...

I suppose that there's still plenty of oldies here that have yet to vote, so the scales may yet be tipped ;)

No GCN love is probably even more surprising though. Even the NES is beating it right now!

Well it would be hard to not have any sort of nostalgia factor at play here :p

Personally I'm surprised at the lack of votes for the SNES so far. Would've thought that would be higher up on the list...

I suppose that there's still plenty of oldies here that have yet to vote, so the scales may yet be tipped ;)

No GCN love is probably even more surprising though. Even the NES is beating it right now!

SNES didn't have that many classics from Nintendo. It had bigger first party droughts than the Wii U :p

Although it's of course relative. Less competition back then so it felt more normal.

it's a hard one for me.

The Nes was the first console I bought myself, I had friends I could swap carts with and there was a local appreciation for my gaming prowess at the time...

Snes introduced mario kart, starfox and I loved the turtle game - the time travelling one! And chrono trigger... can't forget that!

GC was the first console where I had enough money to develop a large library... and with friends to play against it provided some great memories.

Wii... I got and have a decent library for but it just felt stale and lifeless to me

Wii U feels like a fair successor to the GC (and I guess sales numbers follow the trend that had been set) I just wish the Wii had the power (and pro controller) of the Wii U.

GC wins it for me... but snes/nes and wii u aren't far behind.

N64 hands down. Nintendo were on form and unlike today, they were the ones that were doing everything new and awesome and turning heads. They were also competing more with their rivals! When you look at a lot of their bread and butter franchises today, a lot of these began as we know them on the N64. The feeling of playing Smash, 3D Zelda or a 3D Mario for the first time is breathtaking. 4 or 5 sequels later, not so much!

Edited by Sheikah

Has to be the N64 for me.

At the time the most powerful console with a revolutionary controller and a crazy number of multiplayer games.

Have a lot of great memories playing on the NES, SNES, Gamecube & Wii but the N64 was Nintendo at their best.

Nintendo taking their first steps into the 3D world and creating amazing games, Mario, Zelda, Mario Kart, Smash Bros, Starfox, 1080, WaveRace, Excitebike, Pilotwings, Mario Tennis, Mario Golf etc etc

Rare at their best creating classic after classic (Goldeneye, Donkey Kong 64, Diddy Kong Racing, Perfect Dark, Jet Force Gemini, Blast Corps, Conker, Banjo)

Decent third party support

The best wrestling games of all time - WCW/NWO Revenge, WWF Wrestlemania 2000 & WWF No Mercy

One of, if not the best football games of that era - ISS 98

So many hours lost with the wrestling and ISS games, multiplayer heaven.

I still think the GameCube and Wii U are fantastic too, endless hours of fun, whereas the Wii was largely forgettable outside of maybe 3-5 decent titles. Nothing compares to the N64 days though, multiplayer bliss and for many of the reasons others have noted in their own posts. Damn fine system with a great library that has unfortunately aged terribly, haha.

I voted DS. Along with someone else? Who are you, mystery DS enthusiast!?

For me, it had the best library of games, both first party and third party (Oh my daze! Radiant Historia though!). The dual screen added so much to the handheld gaming, there are some genuine moments when I played a game and thought "Woah! This is so cool!"

Who didn't think that the stamp puzzle in Another Code was a stroke of brilliance?

A puzzle involving stamps, to use said stamps, you actually had to close the DS! It was such a good puzzle that Zelda: Phantom Hourglass nicked it.

I personally think it's the most innovative console Ninty have made and they did so much with it!

It also has my favourite game of all time.

250px-MD_Sky_EN_boxart.jpg

I don't care if no-one here likes you. You're still awesome!

EDIT: Oh my! Now there's 3 of us!? Make yourself known!

Edited by Glen-i

GameCube

Mario Sunshine

Metroid Prime

Wind Waker

Twilight Princess

It was the last time they really understood what to go for.

Can't I vote for a console AND a handheld? Ok...

Gamecube and Gameboy are my favourites of each, and I voted for the latter. It breaks my heart to see the GBA and the 3DS with zero votes (and the only vote the GB© has is mine!)

You know, if we voted for our top 5s, and tallied a score based on that (much like the Top 50 Wii games from a few years back), I wonder what it would look like?

Can't I vote for a console AND a handheld? Ok...

Gamecube and Gameboy are my favourites of each, and I voted for the latter. It breaks my heart to see the GBA and the 3DS with zero votes (and the only vote the GB© has is mine!)

You know, if we voted for our top 5s, and tallied a score based on that (much like the Top 50 Wii games from a few years back), I wonder what it would look like?

Maybe we can do that just before the NX console comes out?

That way we can look back on the finished Wii U and 3DS life cycles.

N64.

Over the past two years I've picked up many games from that system and played them for the first time. Time and time again I'm shocked at how modern those games were and more than anything, that the game developers of that time really used the 3D medium, rather than making tragically linear corridor experiences.

It's pretty close between the SNES and N64 for me (have lots of fond memories from both :love:) but were it not for the SNES and certain games I experienced on that system at the time, well I probably wouldn't be here posting this right now. ;)

And actually, to this day I still prefer a lot of the SNES versions of franchises that appeared on both of those systems, only exceptions being Mario 64 and Ocarina of Time:

F-Zero > F-Zero X

Super Mario Kart > Mario Kart 64

Pilotwings > Pilotwings 64

Starwing > Lylat Wars

Donkey Kong Country > Donkey Kong 64

Super Mario 64 > Super Mario World

Ocarina of Time > A Link to the Past

So yeah, it had to be SNES for me. :)

But...

Obviously I love 'em all. I mean, this is like being asked to pick your favourite child, and you just don't do that.

:grin:

Just had to be the SNES.

When a system has 3 of your favourite games of all time on it (Super Metroid, A Link to the Past and Super Mario World) it becomes hard for any other system to compare.

Gamecube.

Whereas the N64 pushed games into 3D environments, the Gamecube finally gave Nintendo enough hardware power to create incredible environments with precise controls.

Melee, Prime and Wind Waker were all incredible games that were huge steps over their N64 counterparts and whilst Sunshine was disappointing, it had incredible controls and it looked stunning. Nintendo also delivered with their other franchises...F-Zero, Wave Race and Eternal Darkness were all brilliant and games like Rogue Squadron were simply unbelievable.

Then there's Tales of Symphonia, Donkey Konga, Resident Evil (REmake, Zero and 4), Viewtiful Joe etc... The dream <3