NEurope
Tales

Detroit: Become Human

Credits just rolled. 

Spoiler

I absolutely loved it. 

One of my favourite games this year, easily. 

My endings were strange. I really pursued Connor to not give into deviancy, and to stay true to his mission at all costs. When it came to the final few chapters and him and Markus were fighting for control, I totally made sure that Connor was the one who got the upper hand. 

After the first set of credits rolled, it shot to Amanda in her rose garden, telling Connor he was now obsolete and would be destroyed. Fuming! I knew there was a reason I didn't like her haha. 

Really shocked about Hank committing suicide. I feel like I could have prevented that from happening, but perhaps just didn't go down the right path choices to do so. 

Markus' story was indeed the weakest of the 3. I found it a little boring in parts and his chapters were always seemingly a bit longer and more of a slog. 

Kara and Alice - I discovered that Alice was in fact an Android towards the end - which I found a little odd. I fail to see how that added to the story - unless I missed something? It disappointed me in a way, as I almost lost my concern for her when I found that out. It also took a bit of the emotion out of the ending I got with them. 

They made it across the border, but Luther was killed and Alice was shot. Kara managed to survive and I opted for her to live on instead of giving up. I think if Alice were actually human, I'd have absolutely chose to give up. 

Now I really want to play it again and go against the things that I did originally to see what would happen instead. The flowcharts at the end of the chapter look like they could branch off in loads of alternative ways, so I'm excited to see how things could have panned out. 

All in all - sublime. Right up my street this kind of game and I thoroughly enjoyed it. It also speaks volumes to me that I've had this PS4 Pro since Wednesday and with this one game I've had a better gaming experience from it than anything I've played on my XBOX since launch. I've owned a PS4 before which I traded in last year for my X, and even thought the same then what with games like the 2 Uncharted's and Ratchet and Clank etc. Microsoft needs to sort that out ASAP. 

• Like 1

Glad you enjoyed it.

It sounds like you got one of the more brutal endings for Connor and Hank. During my first playthrough I done the complete opposite to you and made sure Connor and Hank developed a friendship and that Connor broke his programming.

The first ending I got with Kara was a happy one but they had to go through hell to reach that point. From the sounds of it you managed to escape when the raid happened. It's certainly worth checking out what happens when they get captured. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Aneres11 said:

Credits just rolled. 

Thoughts (Hide contents)

Kara and Alice - I discovered that Alice was in fact an Android towards the end - which I found a little odd. I fail to see how that added to the story - unless I missed something? It disappointed me in a way, as I almost lost my concern for her when I found that out. It also took a bit of the emotion out of the ending I got with them. 

Spoiler

What you've described, the drop in caring/emotion towards Alice, happened to me as well. I felt different towards her when I knew she wasn't human. And that's when I realised that was the point. The whole theme is what makes us human, or alive - are these androids alive in the truest sense of the word? 

I went through the game believing they were. But, when I noticed my emotions towards Alice had lessened because of her revelation it dawned on me that I obviously did think less of androids as if they were less alive than us. 

Obviously, this is a hypothetical scenario in a fictional video game, so it's hard to judge whether I will think that in thirty years when this all happens. 

Basically I was played, when I thought I was the one doing the playing. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, somme said:

Didn't think of it like that - but yes very good point. 

I've started to play through it again - one for trophy purposes and two so I can do the opposite of what I did previously and see where it leads. 

Although I have to be careful not to kill some characters off early...!

Following the trophy guide and it's interesting that in order to get: 

Spoiler

Hank to shoot Connor (which happened on my playthrough), you have to basically be an absolute arse hole to Hank for the entirety of the game up until that point. 

I wasn't intentionally trying to make that happen as I really wanted them to like each other, but looks as though my choices were all wrong. 

Things like the decision to save Hank or continue chasing the deviant - I went with the deviant as I thought it would impress Hank that he managed to capture him to make progress with the case. But that backfired!

Same with the Tracies. I shot them both, thinking Hank wouldn't really care, but that is also something that leads to Hank's bad impression of Connor. 

I was way off!

Playing through it again now though and I can already see how changing my behaviour with him is making Hank grow to Connor. 

Doing Markus's story again is a chore. 

The relationship between Hank and Connor is fantastic when you push them towards being friends. It's one of my favourite parts of the game.

• Like 1

Yeah Markus's storyline was an absolute bore, but I loved the Connor and Kara stories.

I did everything the "right" way to get them to be mates at the end with a mid-credits scene but I can absolutely see your point @Aneres11 that you would think going after deviants would ingratiate yourself towards Hank. The thing is Hank is supposed to be a good guy, or at least become a good guy and more pro-android as the game goes on. So first you save his life, then you let two in-love androids go.

• Like 1

Just completed it a second time. 

I keep spoilering, just because there may be people who haven't played yet. 

Spoiler

This one was not as enjoyable. I liked the relationship with Hank this time, but just failed to unlock the 'Partners' trophy as Connor ended up killing Marcus at the end because I couldn't fund that blue orb in Amanda's weird garden in time to stop it. Which was really annoying. 

This play through, Markus went back to see the old guy (forget his name) which I thought was a nice touch. In my first play through, the guy died after I chose for Markus not to defend himself against the crack head son. 

I felt like this time the Markus chapters were even longer, but I never killed him like I did with Connor the first time round so that's probably why. It was also a shorter play through for Kara, as they never tried to cross the border to get to Canada this time round due to the revolution winning out against the humans. I think there's a trophy for doing that (or maybe I got it for keeping them all together at the end in the recycling centre) so I'll check out the last few bits I need to mop up. 

I don't know if I can be arsed with all the magazines, as I think there's a fair few. But I wouldn't want that stopping me from the Platinum. I always go for Plats where I've loved the game, so it'd be a shame for me to not get it really, plus it might allow me to see every part the game had to offer. 

Heavy Rain next! Never played it before - hope it's as good. :)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Aneres11 said:

I keep spoilering, just because there may be people who haven't played yet.

Thanks. I'm only about an hour in so far.

1 hour ago, Happenstance said:

Thanks. I'm only about an hour in so far.

Hope you enjoy it as much as I did! 

Some final thoughts. 

I know I've posted loads in here, but I've thoroughly enjoyed this game and this last run through probably gave me my favourite story out of the lot. 

Spoiler

So this time around I went for the 'survivors' play through, where I kept everyone alive at the end. I did a peaceful protest as Markus and much preferred the way that story panned out rather than the violent one which I did on my second run. In my first run I have Connor kill Markus, so his chapters were cut a bit shorter (a good thing in hindsight haha). 

Kara's story this time was also my favourite. On both previous occasions I had crossed the border by sea only to have someone die, first time Luther and ALice, second time Kara and Luther. I also visited the recycling centre on my second play through, but I didn't enjoy that quite so much. 

On this last one, I ended up at the bus shelter, stealing tickets from the family and having to get past border control with the option to sacrifice someone. It was so tense, and easily my favourite Kara route out the whole lot. It also meant they all ended up staying together, which was amazing. 

Connor I had to be careful with. I ended up pissing Hank off by shooting the Chloe at Kamski's place, but only because if I didn't I don't think I'd have been able to get the Jericho location from the evidence as I hadn't chosen to shoot anyone and let most people go. I also didn't interrogate the android well enough earlier on so never got the 'it's inside' clue for the statue so I guessed my only option was to get the location from Kamski. 

Thankfully, Hank remained a friend. 

I watched the short movies I unlocked in the menu and absolutely loved them. Every once in a while a game comes along that I don't expect to love as much as I do, and it really does blow me away. This is the case with this game. It's been such a joy to play (Markus aside...)

Sadly, I'm missing two trophies. The magazines, and Connor being killed 8 or so times. I would need to do another play through to get both of these and I really don't know if I've got it in me. I'm ready to move onto something else. This is where I prefer achievements to trophies, as I'm at 92% with the game, but no Plat (obviously). Whereas if this were Xbox I'd be on 920/1000 gamerscore, which I'd be more than happy with and could move on. :D 

• Like 1

Platinum get. :)

Oh BTW @Hero-of-Time - did you experience or watch this after playing?

Spoiler

I also saw an option on one of my play throughs at the recycling centre where Kara offered to pull an Android to a truck who had tried to escape and was shot dead. Once she got to the truck, the game gave me the option to leave Alice to die and play dead in the truck along with the other disassembled Android parts!!

Bloody brutal! I watched the YT vid of someone doing it - heart wrenching! Haha. 

I do love all these paths the game can take. 

Edited by Aneres11
  • Like 1

Thanks for that video. I never got to see it during any of my playthroughs. It was pretty grim. :( 

• Like 1

Picked this up a few weeks back and last week, after clearing a few other things from my backlog, I sat down and have it a go and over the weekend I put in some serious time to finish it up earlier this afternoon and what little bits of trepidation I had evaporated quickly and turned this into one of my favourite games this year.

I'll say I've never finished a David Cage game before. I got side tracked with other games when I was playing Heavy Rain on the PS4 and despite having Beyond Two Soul sitting waiting to be played, I've yet to touch it. Two gaming regrets that I'll put away in the coming weeks especially now that I've finished experiencing this incredible experience.

The writing was superb for most of the game bar, as others have said, Markus' story where there was a noticeable jump and escalation early on that seemed a bit too far fetched given where he'd come from. Both Connor and Kara had really great stories where I grew to care about them and the people immediately around them. And some of the moments within both of those characters' arcs were done so well. What's here is a clear step above and beyond what the likes of TellTale have done in there games as of late (The first season of the Walking Dead had moments that were really stand out in the same way this did, it's just a shame that in most of their games since they haven't really hit that same note).

Spoiler

For Markus, I started out fighting back but toned down the violence in the hope that peace would happen but sadly not. It ended with Markus, North and a few others from Jericho in a barricade being gunned down, with both Markus and North dying holding hands. Was gutted that was all I could get from that story as there was no way I was going to use the dirty bomb and I'd hoped Connor would've been able to get back with the other androids.

For Connor, I stuck to accomplishing the mission throughout but got to know Hank and eventually turned deviant to try and save the androids. Managed to survive against the fake Connor, though I did die twice through the game (the initial interrogation and trying to find the deviant in the broadcast tower) but in trying to prevent Amanda and CyberLife taking control of the revolution and Connor, I got lost in the snowstorm in the garden, went the wrong way and didn't make it to the handpribt thing. Was so annoyed as I turned right when I should've gone left.

Kara's story was definitely my favourite. It touched on some difficult themes but they were handled really well I thought. Unfortunately for me, Luther died in Rose's house because the close curtain option wouldn't show up regardless of where I stood when the policeman arrived and then Kara for shot on the boat across the river when she ducked to protect Alice. So Alice made it alone. That one stung the most as I had hoped I'd get the happy ending they deserved, even if the reveal about Alice took some of the connection between the two away though the signs were there from the start so I should've guessed when she wouldn't eat at either point she has food.

I'm interested to see how things could've ended differently but think I'll wait a bit before jumping in again just to give some space between what will likely be 2 very different play throughs.

Only a couple of gripes, mainly the frame rate dropping during some of the more intense QTE sections that really made it difficult to keep up with what was happening and there was a weird moment at the end where one of the androids speaking to Connor looked like it should be hiding in the back of a crowd because of how low poly it was. It just looked really out of place during my ending.

But a fantastic game and I can't wait to play through again and to finally sit down and finish Heavy Rain and start Beyond Two Souls. The only things beating this for me this year so far are Celeste and God of War (Hollow Knight would arguably be there but I played some of it last year so it's still a 2017 title for me despite it's Switch release).

After Life is Strange: Before the Storm/The Awesome Adventures of Captain Spirit, The Wolf Among Us and now this, trying to think what to play next. Might give The Council a go.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Ganepark32 said:

After Life is Strange: Before the Storm/The Awesome Adventures of Captain Spirit, The Wolf Among Us and now this, trying to think what to play next. Might give The Council a go.

Episode 3 is out tomorrow. I'll post about it when I'm done.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sméagol said:

Episode 3 is out tomorrow. I'll post about it when I'm done.

Awesome, I've decided I'll wait till next month to pick it up (I've picked up the Bioshock collection to keep me going till then) as my internet is being seriously wonky and taking ages to download updates (I saw it drop tho as low as 0.05mbps earlier before going up again) so need to change supplier then I look forward to jumping in. At least I'll only have to wait for 2 episodes to finish it out. Shame they're not considering a physical release at all though.

One thing I didn't mention about Detroit but really liked was the way they did the main menu for the game, with Chloe there to help you set it up and then doing things like asking your survey questions and such. The little touches like her looking upset and asking whether I should leave the story as it was, forgetting about it, or if I wanted to continue as I progressed through it was also a nice touch that made it seem like it was paying attention to the story that I was creating. Though I will say it was a little weird hearing the game saying how it was great to start the weekend off with some Detroit on Friday evening. A little thing but a really interesting way to make something so mundane stand out.

Edited by Ganepark32

Phew, what a game.
Only played a bit but man...quite intense. The issues so far are handled extremely well.

Pretty sure Marcus' story line will be boring as hell, but I can't wait to see where Kara's and Connor's journeys will end. 

So far I've made some questionable choices, but choices I might actually make when faced with situations portrayed in the game (well, I'll probably die immediately :p).

Mymy, that sequence in the mansion. So incredibly well done. I was on the edge of my seat the entire time. :bowdown: 

Spoiler

What a spectacular sequence. 
All three main characters were on the ship and shit went downhill...

Had to leave Lucas behind :( 

I decided to start a revolution. It was always my plan with Marcus and I was happy to see that I could choose to revolt. 
Connor broke free. :) 
Kara and Alice are alive...and kind of well.

Spoiler

Alice is an Android. I predicted it quite early. Kinda took away all the emotions from the scene where it was revealed ::shrug: 

Can't wait to see how it'll end.

Not sure if I'll go for the remaining choices/endings after I'm done. Maybe with a guide, but to be honest I want my ending to be the ending. I've moved on from trophy hunting :p 

Edited by drahkon

What a ride. Absolutely incredible game.

Spoiler

Androids are free, according to Marcus.
Connor saved Hank and didn't do something. Not sure what his actual mission was...

Kara died :( 

Credits are rolling and I am tempted to do another run with different choices. I'm not in the mood for an interactive movie again for now, though. Maybe sometime in the future :) 

Happy to see you enjoyed the game, @drahkon. It's one of the best gaming experiences i've had this generation and it's always interesting to read the choices people made when faced with a couple of options.

Spoiler

How did you end up getting Kara killed?

2 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Drahkon's Ending (Reveal hidden contents)

How did you end up getting Kara killed?

Spoiler

Kara and Alice tried to cross the river to get out of Detroit. Border patrol found the boats and started shooting...Kara got hit and so did the boat. I decided it'd be best if Kara pushed the boat to safety after she and Alice had managed to stay alive. 

Kara was beyond help :( She had to shut down because most of her Biocomponents were destroyed by the bullet and the freezing water.

• Sad 1

Ah, so you didn't get to go to the place I did during my first play through of the game. I'm glad I didn't mention it then. It was a very harrowing experience and I do think it is one of the better endings in the game.