NEurope
Hero-of-Time

My Nintendo ( Club Nintendo Successor )

Those are actually pretty good. I'm still waiting for them to get the N64 controller back in though. I'm not holding my breath though.

Not gonna lie, those are pretty cool.

Shame Majora's Mask isn't out on NSO yet, that has some great poster art!

4 hours ago, Ashley said:

N64 poster set has been added:

I had a poster exactly like that Mario Kart 64 one on my wall as a teenager.

Edited by Helmsly

2 hours ago, Cube said:

Why does Lylat Wars have the wrong name?

I was gonna say that they couldn't be bothered to make 2 posters, but then @Dcubed informed that this is only for Europe, so...

Maybe it's their way of saying you should use the American version on NSO?

Edited by Glen-i

I remember back in the day of Club Nintendo you would have had to have bought about 20 games to be able to afford those posters! 

4 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

I remember back in the day of Club Nintendo you would have had to have bought about 20 games to be able to afford those posters! 

Yeah, and these days you have to sell your soul playing mobile tat.

I know which one I prefer.

6 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

Yeah, and these days you have to sell your soul playing mobile tat.

I know which one I prefer.

I barely play any mobile games and I had 700 points just now. They give you 30 just to sign in every day! Do that for a couple of weeks and you can get the posters.

Far, far better than the old Club Nintendo days imo. It blew my mind how many games you had to buy just to afford anything. 20 games was being polite. Nowadays if something isn't a My Nintendo reward for barely any Plat points, they throw something in with a game if you order from them. The Cat Mario plushie I got for a fiver extra from 3D World would have taken 30 odd games back in the day.

Edited by Ronnie

10 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

I barely play any mobile games and I had 700 points just now. They give you 30 just to sign in every day! Do that for a couple of weeks and you can get the posters.

Fair point, but I'd be surprised if those posters hung around for 2 weeks.

Back in my day you used to get posters like this for free in the gaming magazines. Many were double sided too. I remember having a few up in frames in my rooms.

5 hours ago, Ronnie said:

Back in the prime of Club Nintendo, 20 games would get you some nice playing cards, some soundtracks, a nice statue and a Game and Watch.

And you didn't have to pay for shipping.

5 minutes ago, Cube said:

Back in the prime of Club Nintendo, 20 games would get you some nice playing cards, some soundtracks, a nice statue and a Game and Watch.

And you didn't have to pay for shipping.

Do you mean buying 20 games (so about £800-900) gets you one of those things? Cause that's how it was. 

And it's hard to care about a whopping 2 quid of shipping when you're getting stuff for basically free. 

• Like 2

I couldn't afford many games and got plenty of stuff. 

Old Club Nintendo was amazing. Now it's stuff that isn't worth paying the delivery costs for (even if there were no points requirements).

On 1/21/2022 at 7:28 PM, Ronnie said:

Do you mean buying 20 games (so about £800-900) gets you one of those things? Cause that's how it was. 

And it's hard to care about a whopping 2 quid of shipping when you're getting stuff for basically free. 

All fair points that are absolutely true; but it's also true that the stuff we're getting today is nowhere near as good as what we used to get via Club Nintendo.

I mean, a few posters and some Mario Kart Live bits of cardboard decorations are nowhere near as good as the likes of Doc Louis' Punchout, the Mario Galaxy 1 & 2 soundtracks or the Game & Watch Collection for the DS.

I mean, just LOOK at the awesome shit we used to be able to get!!

Edited by Dcubed
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Dcubed said:

All fair points that are absolutely true; but it's also true that the stuff we're getting today is nowhere near as good as what we used to get via Club Nintendo.

I mean, a few posters and some Mario Kart Live bits of cardboard decorations are nowhere near as good as the likes of Doc Louis' Punchout, the Mario Galaxy 1 & 2 soundtracks or the Game & Watch Collection for the DS.

I mean, just LOOK at the awesome shit we used to be able to get!!

That’s absolutely fair enough. The actual stuff back in the day was much much better. I could just never afford any of it cause the points totals were so high!

I see the equivalent these days as being the 'freebies' you get with games if you buy from the Nintendo Store. Still not as good but there’s been a few nice things packed in over the years with some games. 

Edited by Ronnie
  • Thanks 1

Got the N64 poster set, it's the first Club Nintendo thing I've redeemed/bought in years. I'll try and keep my platinum coins topped up in the off chance that they do another set with F-Zero X. 

Edited by Mandalore

On 21/01/2022 at 7:28 PM, Ronnie said:

Exactly. Looks like that old rewards programme has fallen victim to the Zelda cycle. As far as I remember it was all complaints about the cost being so high (like you say), complaints about items not being in stock when people had finally amassed the currency, and complaints that the Japan items were not made available to the rest of the world. 

• Like 2

yeah even if the old rewards were better, they didn't come around often and when they did they were expensive and sold out pretty quickly. I did get a couple of nice Diorama's and Donkey Konga 2 (complete with Bongos!) though

On 21/01/2022 at 6:34 PM, BowserBasher said:

Back in my day you used to get posters like this for free in the gaming magazines. Many were double sided too. I remember having a few up in frames in my rooms.

Out of the three posted, I got the Zelda and Starfox 64 ones from NMS. Probably the Mario Kart one too!

I stuck them up with blutack and flipped them from time to time, however, there was one worthy of framing: a DKC 3 poster. :santa: 

6 hours ago, Helmsly said:

yeah even if the old rewards were better, they didn't come around often and when they did they were expensive and sold out pretty quickly. I did get a couple of nice Diorama's and Donkey Konga 2 (complete with Bongos!) though

Nice. :cool:

I snagged a Starfox Armada poster (for some reason I was impressed that it came in a tube), Super Mario World fridge magnets and possibly some Mario playing cards or top trumps, although those could have been from a magazine. I would have had a decent number of stars to spend but I cannot remember what "big" item/s I redeemed them on. ::shrug: It seems only the tat lives on in the memory. LOL!

• Like 1

I remember that I got a copy of Yoshi's Universal Gravitation for free from the old Club Nintendo, back when it was called Nintendo VIP 24/7...

... I still feel ripped off.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, darksnowman said:

Out of the three posted, I got the Zelda and Starfox 64 ones from NMS. Probably the Mario Kart one too!

NMS really did give away some neat stuff back in the day. The writers seemed to love Street fighter above anything actually from Nintendo, so a lot of the gifts were Street fighter related like the Street fighter 2's Soundtrack, a VHS guide to playing Street fighter 2 etc. I remember the huge Street Fighter 2 Turbo poster they put out in two parts, which was on my wall for at least a decade.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 24/01/2022 at 10:58 PM, Helmsly said:

NMS really did give away some neat stuff back in the day. The writers seemed to love Street fighter above anything actually from Nintendo, so a lot of the gifts were Street fighter related like the Street fighter 2's Soundtrack, a VHS guide to playing Street fighter 2 etc. I remember the huge Street Fighter 2 Turbo poster they put out in two parts, which was on my wall for at least a decade.

What a blast from the past! :cool: They gave Street Fighter 2, Street Fighter 2 Turbo and Alpha plenty of coverage, you're not wrong. I think Seal was a fan of the Street Fighter film. :laughing: 

In the video you linked, my young self thought it was such sage advice when they say a combo doesn't come off because of timing. Hearing it now, I want them to tell me if the button presses need to be strung together more tightly, or later, to get the desired timing!

• Like 1

Looks like the Yanks have finally caught up with us here in the UK, as they just launched an official online My Nintendo Store today: https://www.nintendo.com/store/

Hopefully that means that we'll start seeing more physical goods and cool merch come out on both sides of the pond :)