NEurope
ReZourceman

Job Relocation Rights

Hi.

Does anyone have any experience at all with this? I've read the government page, and it seems reasonably clear, but basically, Claire's place of work is looking like it's moving from Aylesbury to Harrow (30 miles), and we/she is concerned about her rights.

I've heard rumours of a 14 mile limit for relocation, or needing to offer redundancy etc, but it's all very unclear, and she is extremely stressed about the situation.

Obviously it will all be different depending on contracts, but does anyone have any experience.

You hit the nail on the head.

What's her contract? How long has she worked there? Has she actually been asked to move yet? What kind of work (for interest sake)?

Not heard of a 14-mile limit before myself but if you have any source for that I would be interested. If she works for a recognised, large-ish company then I'm sure they've fully thought through the legal shit. The redundancy side of things is much more likely.

Sorry, no experiences.

From what I can tell, there are two possibilities:

- She has a "mobility clause" in her contract that covers the distance, then she can either go with it or hand in her notice.

- If not, she can either try and work things out with the company or choose to be made redundant. If she has worked there long enough, she would be entitled to a redundancy payment.

From what I can tell, there are two possibilities:

- She has a "mobility clause" in her contract that covers the distance, then she can either go with it or hand in her notice.

- If not, she can either try and work things out with the company or choose to be made redundant. If she has worked there long enough, she would be entitled to a redundancy payment.

I found the same thing on this page. If they have a mobility clause then she will have to move unless it is unreasonable. What is deemed reasonable can is up for debate and can be settled in a tribunal if it comes to that.

One extra point to note is:

"Employers don’t have to offer employees any compensation for relocating, unless it’s specified in their contract."

I found the same thing on this page. If they have a mobility clause then she will have to move unless it is unreasonable. What is deemed reasonable can is up for debate and can be settled in a tribunal if it comes to that.

One extra point to note is:

"Employers don’t have to offer employees any compensation for relocating, unless it’s specified in their contract."

Pretty much this, and I'm nearly sure they won't consider 30 miles unreasonable.

Its happening a lot over here in the NHS as everything is being centralised. My ex got redeployed as his job was 40/50 miles difference, but that was only because they had a job for him closer than that distance. I don't know if you'd have that option in private sector.

My boss got redeployed, 40 miles ish, and he got protected travel for 3 years. But that's not compulsory for employers to do. Its all about whats in your contract & what your union can get for you (if they're in one)

If relocation is an option for a role they have to have a clearly outline the distance, I don't think there is a legal limit in the UK.

I know I'm in Canada so I'm slightly different but for example in all our contracts it says anyone can be relocated within 50kms of their home office. A lot of people have left as a result of being screwed over, knew one person who already drove 60kms to work and then they moved them 50kms further away so they suddenly at a 110kms commute which would take hours especially in Winter. So yeah I guess my point is if its in her contract there isn't a lot she can do :(