NEurope
RedShell

KONAMI - What the hell are they doing!?

W1Gckim.jpg

As some of you might be aware I recently replayed Konami Krazy Racers on the Wii U VC, and as is always the case whenever I play an old Konami game these days, I start thinking about all of those classic games and characters that have now become neglected, especially my favourites, TwinBee and Goemon.

You must have JavaScript enabled on your device to view Miiverse posts that have been embedded in a website. View post in Miiverse

Goemon/Mystical Ninja is without doubt my absolute favourite Konami franchise though, so I decided to try and find out what (if anything) is currently going on with it, and to my surprise (and disgust) I discovered that the 2 most recent uses of the Goemon IP have been for a bloody Pachinko slot machine! :mad:

But it gets worse, when I checked out footage of said slot machine, I was shocked to discover that the video elements of it feature new and improved character models, new music (including remixes of classic tunes from the console games) and a general level of polish that makes it look like it could be from a current generation home console game! They didn't just slap old assets on to this thing, they've completely reworked stuff and put actual effort into it. :o

Don't know whether to laugh or cry, but it's beyond depressing to see this kind of energy being used on something I love but for something so trivial. :sad:

I mean just look at this:

And listen to this:

Goddammit! Why, Konami!? :shakehead:weep:

Wish I could go back in time and not learn about any of this, was actually happier just thinking Goemon was completely dead.

Anyway, we all know the Konami of old is long dead, and the recent shenanigans with MGSV/Kojima and the cancellation of P.T. have done nothing but worsen the situation, but Konami still insist that they haven't abandoned the traditional gaming space, even though they don't appear to have any new projects on the go. :blank:

I don't recall anything being announced at E3 or TGS, and now that MGSV and the latest PES are out, there appears to be nothing on the horizon from them at all!

So what do people think, are Konami lying, delusional, or is it something else?

Will we see more video games from them, or is it truly the end? ::shrug:

I think we'll see them honour certain contracts they still have like PES but then gradually move away from the gaming scene and start focusing on their more profitable businesses. They do seem absolutely nuts and I would rather they either stuck around or sold off IPs but I can at least understand that if they arent making enough money, of course they'll drop this stuff.

I probably don't appreciate the same Konami franchises as you, @RedShell, as I only played Mystical Ninja on N64 relatively recently and wasn't exactly blown away :heh:

I do, however, have a very soft spot for the earlier games in franchises such as Silent Hill, Metal Gear Solid, ISS, Pro Evolution Soccer and some of the Castlevania games. Even International Track & Field on PS1 is a guilty pleasure of mine :grin: All of these series have declined over the last decade or more with, for me, only PES starting to show some signs of recovery (It's certainly better than FIFA :shakehead)

Silent Hill: Shattered Memories was also great but that seems to be a one-off :hmm: It's definitely a shame to see such a fall from grace but I feel Capcom have had a similar drop off in quality, particularly the Resident Evil franchise after the amazing fourth instalment. There's also Rare.. :blank:

I don't give a damn about Konami anymore.

What I want is Kojima to do his own thing from now on. Maybe with the help of Kickstarter

I think we'll see them honour certain contracts they still have like PES but then gradually move away from the gaming scene and start focusing on their more profitable businesses. They do seem absolutely nuts and I would rather they either stuck around or sold off IPs but I can at least understand that if they arent making enough money, of course they'll drop this stuff.
This. They can start by selling Goemon to Good-Feel so the series can be reunited with Etsunobu Ebisu. :)

Never going to happen. :(

I probably don't appreciate the same Konami franchises as you, @RedShell, as I only played Mystical Ninja on N64 relatively recently and wasn't exactly blown away :heh:
I only played Mystical Ninja on N64 relatively recently and wasn't exactly blown away :heh:
played Mystical Ninja on N64
and wasn't exactly blown away :heh:
:nono: Does not compute. :heh:

Speaking of Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon, It'd be great if they could at least finally get that out on the VC, so I wouldn't have to dig out my N64 whenever I feel like playing it. :hehe:

Also, more people (those with good taste ;)) need to experience that game.

Also, more people (those with good taste ;)) need to experience that game.

It's just OK and you know it :heh: I have no desire to go back through it again, sadly..

I too have never played a mystical ninja

Anyway Konami are dead, all the reports i've seen just show how their management are truely out of touch.

Reports on various sites say they micromanage to the nth degree, with workers describing it as working in a climate of fear, they got enamoured with the mobile gaming bubble and lost touch with what their existing consumers wanted.

Look at MGS5 and the fiasco of its management, despite that game play being amazing, the game seems very lacking in the story, which i feel is due to the behind the scenes Kojima business, they probably got Sutherland as a VA and then Konami weren't impressed with the increased cost, demanding less lines be recorded - for all its polish it is missing any resemblance of a MG story sure people didn't want MGS4 but its too far the other way for it not to have been behind the scenes meddling.

And then there's P.T and the fiasco of that! the world collectively came over it and still Konami management pulled the plug

right now i'd wish everyone would boycott Konami fully and let them know how we feel/punish them, they need to learn their management style is best suited in the dark ages.

I have played and completed Ganbare Goemon 1-4 on the SFC and the N64 and DS games. It makes me very sad as well, but I also miss Parodius, Pop N TwinBee, etc.

That Konami are dead now though - most of everyone who was talented in those days moved on a long time ago.

Speaking of that - what do Treasure do anymore? They seem to have faded into obscurity.

right now i'd wish everyone would boycott Konami fully and let them know how we feel/punish them, they need to learn their management style is best suited in the dark ages.

Not going to be hard given that they aren't gonna release anything else. :D

To be honest I can see why they are doing what they are doing, at least in terms of the videogame market. They have found success in the mobile sector, as well as in their other ventures. From a business stand point, why would you bother risk making a AAA game or a niche title when you are making money in other sectors?

As for their IPs, they have no need to sell them. Had the company been strapped for cash then I guess they would have went up for sale. As it stands the company seems financially stable.

Of all the sorrowful downfalls the industry has ever seen, few compete with that of Konami :(

It's clear to see what direction the management want to take the company and the general lack of respect they have for their company's legacy (or Hudson's for that matter!!)

Best we can hope for is for other companies to take on their staff and give them a good home and a decent budget... And that's not something that is easy to come by these days as the big Japanese developers are largely imploding and increasingly heading to mobile only...

Nintendo have taken on most of the original Goemon series staff at Good Feel and pretty much all of Hudson now reside at ND Cube, but there's still a huge amount of talent that are literally rotting away within the walls of Konami, doing shockingly menial work like working as janitors and security guards! :o

And it's easy enough to say that they should all go indie, but that's a difficult task in Japan; given their work culture and really? Out of all the people at Konami, the only directors who truly have brand name power were Kojima and Koji Igarashi - as talented as the rest of them may be, they don't really have the same kind of pulling power as them, so Kickstarter would be a very difficult option for them...

At this point though, Konami is basically a prison that is holding these people and their IP hostage... Their support of services like Virtual Console also leaves much to be desired...

If only someone could buy their IPs and developers :( Then they can just fuck right off for good!

I'm not a fan of Pro Evo and have never played an MGS game. So, I can live without those quite easily.

But, I'll never forgive them for fucking us all about with PT. They teased us with a carrot and smacked us over the back of the head with a shovel.

Konami sunk to a new low today. It was the Video Game Awards last night/this morning and Kojima was supposed to be there to collect an award for MGSV. He didn't show, despite earlier in the week tweeting about how he would be there.

During the show Geoff Keighley got on the mic and rightfully called out Konami and told the audience, and everyone watching around the world, that Konami had sent lawyers to Kojima, instructing him that he could not attend the show and receive the award.

Honestly, this company can burn in hell.

Konami sunk to a new low today. It was the Video Game Awards last night/this morning and Kojima was supposed to be there to collect an award for MGSV. He didn't show, despite earlier in the week tweeting about how he would be there.

During the show Geoff Keighley got on the mic and rightfully called out Konami and told the audience, and everyone watching around the world, that Konami had sent lawyers to Kojima, instructing him that he could not attend the show and receive the award.

Next week's Jimquisition will be a fun one! :laughing:

In hundreds of years when the story of all this is written the real truth will emerge and we'll find that Kojima was actually a madman with his very own Metal Gear and Konami were just protecting us all along.

Im with you man, the way they have treated their staff has been disgusting, all their big talents have left/been forced out (Iga, Kojima) and that thing last night was just the final straw. Keighley was right to expose it, Kojima deserved better than that.

There's the video of Geoff Keighly explaining the situation at the awards. That's really fucked up.

Is he standing on top of his teleprompter? He looks down and uhhs a lot for a host. Granted I don't watch the shows so I've never seen how he normally hosts, but wow.

On topic though, I agree he did the right thing giving a bit of disclosure into why Kojima was unavailable. I almost feel bad about Konami being under such a witch hunt but honestly they seem to thrive off being hated these days. And with how they've treated and blacklisted Jim Sterling out of the blue essentially, I could see them behaving similarly towards Keighly and the VGAs in this instance.

They've got nowt to release anyway so I doubt they will be particularly missed at the VGA or by Keighley

:nono: Does not compute. :heh:

Speaking of Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon, It'd be great if they could at least finally get that out on the VC, so I wouldn't have to dig out my N64 whenever I feel like playing it. :hehe:

Apparently it is on VC, but only on Wii as opposed to being availabkle on Wii U, or so a chum would have me believe.

Which is a shame as I would love to get it on Wii U and replay it again.

Apparently it is on VC, but only on Wii as opposed to being availabkle on Wii U, or so a chum would have me believe.

Which is a shame as I would love to get it on Wii U and replay it again.

Legend of the Mystical Ninja for SNES is on the Wii VC, yeah. But the N64 game isn't, not even in Japan.

Goemon themed Panchinko eh? Dunno why you’re excited about that. 

• Sad 1
  • Angry 1