NEurope

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rummy

Testing an SSD?

Hi all,

My mate was popping round last night, but when he arrived he told me his computer was broke - unfortunately for me it's a Mac, which I know nothing about. Basically wasn't booting, coming up with a folder with a symbol question mark? He thinks it's the SSD, and mentioned in passing about recovering his files - so we opened it up and took it out! It's a Samsung Evo 840 256GB iirc.

I've managed to recover the files via a linux live boot(and much unrelated and annoying issues on the way) and so the next step is - how do we know if the SSD is definitely faulty? In the past for standard HDDs I've used Seatools, WD Diagnostics etc. but I was wondering; - Is there something similar for either linux or windows or bootable(bearing in mind this drive is currently HFS format, for MAC) that can be used to tell me the drives broken broken?

I think it is - as we used the MacOSX boot recovery tool thingy to try verifying the drive and it failed. Repairing failed too(it suggested data backup) AND GParted/Disk Utility in Linux describes the partition files systems as being 'not clean.'

However I was just wondering if there's something out there particularly for SSDs(I believe the other thingies, but not sure if they play as well with SSDs) or that could tell me if it's a definite irreversible fix/what's possibly wrong? He said the drive's only like a year old, so I'm surprised it's broken already.