NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
S.C.G

Need more RAM!

It's time to upgrade my ailing PC again which I purchased three years ago and I've decided that because I'm sticking with Windows 7 for as long as it humanly possible that it would be a good idea to upgrade my RAM so I can hopefully keep it going for another 3 years ideally. :heh:

Here are the tech-specs...

5kk2lt.jpg

After doing a bit of research I think this is what I want...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00QM8VJ0O?keywords=RAM%20Nanya%204gb&qid=1443525181&ref_=sr_1_6&sr=8-6

It's a 4GB stick of RAM which is made by the same company as the one which is in my machine, though this one is 1333Mhz whereas my current one is 665.2Mhz.

On the description is says that the new RAM is "100% downwardly compatible to 1066 mhz (PC3 - 8500U)" but that's still faster than my original RAM.

My main question is, would I be better off buying two of the newer RAM and replacing the existing stick?

I ask this because at least then they would both be running at the same speed which my PC could then take advantage of presumably because how I understand it is that the RAM with the lowest speed will be the one which is accessed first - if I've got this right - so if I just had the one new stick which is capable of running at a higher speed then I'd be essentially limiting its capabilities by around half.

If anyone could help me make some sense of this please then that would be greatly appreciated, I think I'm on the right track but I only want to do this once and do it properly so I thought it best to ask as I know many of you are far more knowledgeable about these things. : peace:

I'm definitely not looking to upgrade my PC for another three years, all I intend to use it for is writing reviews, some light graphics work using GIMP 2.0 and playing some older games on steam which are typically 5-10 years old or more.

My knowledge is a bit rusty, it's been a while since I built my PC.. But in general I believe:

- You don't want to mix sticks. That's why they're sold in packs of 2 or 3.

- Speed is nice, but you probably won't notice the speed increase unless you're hardcore, but more memory will be a significant boost.

I assume you've tried finding the same memorystick as the one you've already got, but couldn't find it.. I'd suggest simply getting a pair of 4GB memory sticks. I don't think it would actually hurt to mix them, but don't hold me to that, and it wouldn't be optimal in any case, so I'd just replace it with 2 new ones.

That said though.. Go to the support site for your motherboard, and check for memory compatibility lists..

though this one is 1333Mhz whereas my current one is 665.2Mhz.

Actually yours is also 1333MHz. As RAM is dual channel you need to multiply the frequency by 2.

So that stick won't be any faster, and as Smeagol said it will actually be slower as you need to run sticks in pairs.

- You don't want to mix sticks. That's why they're sold in packs of 2 or 3.

- Speed is nice, but you probably won't notice the speed increase unless you're hardcore, but more memory will be a significant boost.

This one seems to be the same stick but the same manufacturer so I guess it should be OK?

I'm just looking for it to improve performance a little bit and also to make the next three years using it a bit more comfortable. :)

Actually yours is also 1333MHz. As RAM is dual channel you need to multiply the frequency by 2.

So that stick won't be any faster, and as Smeagol said it will actually be slower as you need to run sticks in pairs.

I didn't know this, so it would seem that if I buy the new one which is the same frequency as the original one then that will effectively be a pair I'd have thought?

Just that it's over £30 for the 4GB I need so I figure that the one will do hopefully.

Thank you both for the information, I'll go ahead and order it now, will of course report back once I've fitted it, I've upgraded RAM before but that was many years ago so I figured a few things may have changed since then. : peace:

Sign in to follow this