NEurope
Serebii

Tatsumi Kimishima is new Nintendo President

Entertainment

Planning & Development Division

Looks like EAD and SPD may have fully merged now.

Kimishima was the obvious choice. He's by far the person at Nintendo who is best qualified for the role (coming from The Sanwa Bank, he was CEO of The Pokemon Company for 2 years before becoming President of NOA until Reggie took over that role; then becoming CEO of NOA, until 2013 when Iwata took over as he became Managing Director back at NCL)

He's someone who has always eschewed the spotlight, so I wonder if he'd even consider taking a front facing role like Iwata did...

Also looks like Shiggy and Genyo Takeda have relinquished control over software and hardware respectively and moved into advisory roles.

Edited by Dcubed

I think it's interesting that he has been CEO of NoA. This might mean that he has some sort of insight into what goes on outside Japan. Nintendo has often been criticised for being too Japanese so this might open them up a bit more.

https://twitter.com/serkantoto/statu...47745529536512

1) The Nikkei quotes new Nintendo boss Kimishima as saying there won’t be changes in the basic strategy set up by former president Iwata.

https://twitter.com/serkantoto/statu...48727743279104

2) Kimishima says the challenge is now to identify new projects+cultivate the right human resources to reach Nintendo-like profits again.

https://twitter.com/serkantoto/statu...48850967773184

3) The Nikkei also quotes Nintendo’s Genyo Takeda as saying the aim is to establish a future-proof group leadership system inside Nintendo.

He certainly does seem best suited for being top dog at Nintendo, best of luck to him.

He certainly does seem best suited for being top dog at Nintendo, best of luck to him.

Only issue is that he's 65, which makes things iffy. I doubt he'll be CEO for too much longer as he'll likely retire in 5 years.

That said, that's probably the point of the third tweet. A group leadership so that if one goes, they can adapt easier.

Welcome Kimishima, your name is really fun to say and type. Hoping this was taken into account when selecting him for the position.

I think it's interesting that he has been CEO of NoA. This might mean that he has some sort of insight into what goes on outside Japan. Nintendo has often been criticised for being too Japanese so this might open them up a bit more.

I would hope - but with his age I'd come to wonder if he'd be as open as maybe someone younger?

Also I've no idea what he's like personality wise, but photos seems to be he has a somewhat stern resting face. My concern is that of Directs, if they'll continue, and who will be the face of them if so? Kimishima or someone else specifically for purpose?

I would hope - but with his age I'd come to wonder if he'd be as open as maybe someone younger?

Also I've no idea what he's like personality wise, but photos seems to be he has a somewhat stern resting face. My concern is that of Directs, if they'll continue, and who will be the face of them if so? Kimishima or someone else specifically for purpose?

Morimoto. Iwata introduced him as his main replacement for Directs. While Iwata had intended to continue doing some here and there, Morimoto was set to be the new face and regular host of Directs.

morimoto-nintendo-direct.jpg

Only issue is that he's 65, which makes things iffy. I doubt he'll be CEO for too much longer as he'll likely retire in 5 years.

That said, that's probably the point of the third tweet. A group leadership so that if one goes, they can adapt easier.

He could probably set a few things in motion, maybe get some changes he'd like in place within them 5 years though.

Although I don't know very much about this guy, I do have some red flags.

Firstly, his age. Secondly, he claimed he wants to continue the path Iwata started. Nintendo really should have chosen someone younger, more hip and western oriented.

Truth be told, however, I can't imagine anyone doing a worse job than Iwata.

With the expanded IP, the NX, they're already on a path. Of course they're going to continue with it!

Although I don't know very much about this guy, I do have some red flags.

Firstly, his age. Secondly, he claimed he wants to continue the path Iwata started. Nintendo really should have chosen someone younger, more hip and western oriented.

Truth be told, however, I can't imagine anyone doing a worse job than Iwata.

Iwata put so many amazing initiatives into action his last year. Just because the Wii U floundered, let's not act like Iwata didn't know what he was doing. Please.

Also, Kimishima was president of NOA, that's western orientated, and age is irrelevant. Plus, using your logic, the "younger" would be more inclined to go mobile purely. I'm actually glad it's someone older. Less likely to buckle to pressure of investors.

Edited by Serebii

Iwata put so many amazing initiatives into action his last year. Just because the Wii U floundered, let's not act like Iwata didn't know what he was doing. Please.

Also, Kimishima was president of NOA, that's western orientated, and age is irrelevant. Plus, using your logic, the "younger" would be more inclined to go mobile purely. I'm actually glad it's someone older. Less likely to buckle to pressure of investors.

Iwata has been succesful on the hardware side. The DS and Wii were very compelling when they launched. However, when it comes to software or the correlation between software and hardware sales, he's been utterly incompetent. He seemed completely baffled by the ammount of work required to make HD games, despite being able to watch literally the entire rest of the game industry for over five years. He believed that Nintendoland and New Mario Bros U were killer apps. He seemed to believe that Tropical Freeze would cause a significant boost in hardware sales.

You are true about Kimishima being in charge of NOA, which gives some hope.

Edited by Hogge

Being in the West doesn't mean you're Western orientated. The head of NOE is also Japanese. They could do with people from the region who will have a deep understanding of the region.

Hopefully his time at NOA will help, but just because he was there doesn't mean it will definitely.

Being in the West doesn't mean you're Western orientated. The head of NOE is also Japanese. They could do with people from the region who will have a deep understanding of the region.

Hopefully his time at NOA will help, but just because he was there doesn't mean it will definitely.

The head of NOE does extremely well and understands the region

Tell that to my copy of ExciteTruckBots!*

Oh wait. You can't. Because it doesn't exist :( #notstillbitteriswear

*thanks Serebii

Edited by Rummy

You know what my first response about Tatsumi Kimishima was urgh a HR guy this isn't going to work. The more I think about it though he somehow reminds me of Yamauchi, I feel like he could have some hardline methods that may work.

Tell that to my copy of ExciteTruck!

Oh wait. You can't. Because it doesn't exist :( #notstillbitteriswear

Think you meant Excitebots :P

And that was like 7 years ago man. NOE of today is awesome

I'm unsure on it, we can only see how things go. On the one hand he's worked in the west so could have a better attitude toward the marketplace here, on the other he's quite old and may possibly be in the mindset of typical old Nintendo (which isn't good).

Think you meant Excitebots :P

And that was like 7 years ago man. NOE of today is awesome

You can't deny that. NoE is the sole reason we even have some games. Xenoblade comes to mind. In fact, Shulk in Smash may not have happened if it wasn't for them localising Xenoblade.

Can you believe America aren't getting Yoshi's Woolly World for over a month still?

https://twitter.com/serkantoto

Reading through this guy's tweets is a good idea. Interesting stuff in it. Kimishima likely interim, only set on president for a year at the moment. He knew the Wii U would fail.

So did most of the internet. Doesn't mean we should run Nintendo, though. Unless....:D

I do very well at my job as well but doesn't mean other's do...

But for a company that can quite easily be questioned for it's insular Japanese focus (which has it's perks, I won't pretend otherwise, but also its problems) to have a board of directors like this:

Representative Directors

Tatsumi Kimishima, President

Genyo Takeda, Senior Managing Director, Technology Fellow

Shigeru Miyamoto, Senior Managing Director, Creative Fellow

Directors

Shigeyuki Takahashi, General Manager of Finance Administration Division, Supervisor of General Affairs Division, In charge of Quality Assurance Department

Satoshi Yamato, General Manager of Marketing Division, In charge of Advertising Department

Shinya Takahashi, General Manager of Entertainment Planning & Development Division, Supervisor of Business Development Division and Development Administration & Support Division

Kauro Takemura, Chief Director of Human Resources, Director

Susumo Tanaka, Chief Director of Operation, Director

Hirokazu Shinshi, Chief Director of Manufacture, Manager of Production Planning, Director

Other executives

Reggie Fils-Aimé, President and COO of Nintendo of America (NOA)

Satoru Shibata, President of Nintendo of Europe (NOE)

I would just like to see them taking on people from outside of Japan to represent the fact they're an international company.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying he's a bad hire or I'd necessarily want anyone else (of any nationality), it's just a passing general comment about Nintendo.

Edited by Ashley