NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Pokémon Go! (Android/iOS)

Promising because it's Pokemon and therefore it'll sell bucket loads.

Promising because it's Pokemon and therefore it'll sell bucket loads.

Except the three Pokémon apps that have had support drop because they weren't profitable :p

Uhhh... I can't help but feel this is a bit of an optimistic choice of word.

I mean, exactly how much actual gameplay have we seen of this?

Because I remember it being next to none.

I presume people are basing it on playing Ingress.

But they showed promise, didn't they?

Joe-Biden-Laughing-Shaking-his-Head.gif

Oh, not even a little bit to the actual Pokemon Fanbase.

What I find hilarious are the people who are bitching about having to go to a store to get Mew, but are also looking forward to GO :p

Uhhh... I can't help but feel this is a bit of an optimistic choice of word.

I mean, exactly how much actual gameplay have we seen of this?

Because I remember it being next to none.

Well it was a REALLY expensive advert, so it must be promising! :p

What I find hilarious are the people who are bitching about having to go to a store to get Mew, but are also looking forward to GO :p

Oh snap! I spaced on Mew!

@Dcubed, we've gotta get our codes. Because we're Londoners, and it's reasonable to get a code here!

Mew will only be available in the Amazon rainforest.

watching_avengers_i_understood_a_gif_reference-88347.gif?76d6e6

Thanks for reconfirming that I'm a massive nerd.

You big, fat nerd.

That's where I found it on the Google Pokémon thing two years ago

That's where I found it on the Google Pokémon thing two years ago

That was the joke.

(Then again, you probably wouldn't expect a joke like that from someone who hasn't played a main Pokémon game since 2000ish)

That was the joke.

(Then again, you probably wouldn't expect a joke like that from someone who hasn't played a main Pokémon game since 2000ish)

I thought the reference was from Mew being found in South America in Red/Green.

Looks about what I expected.

I can already see the premium currency (crystals) as well... I'll be shocked if they don't allow you to buy better Pokeballs with real money whenever you miss...

Edited by Dcubed

Yep, pretty much what I'd thought it'd be. Utter garbage.

I've said it before, but I really don't like the path Pokemon Company is going. It's leaving a bad taste in my mouth.

Hey, at least Mystery Dungeon is still entertaining me for hours on end. 5 more Pokemon to go!

Aside from the actual visuals and animations which look fine - I think, hard to tell really - to me the whole thing just looks like a waste of time, you don't battle the Pokémon then? You just try to catch them... with Pokeballs which cost you real money? :blank:

Am I missing something here? ::shrug:

Aside from the actual visuals and animations which look fine - I think, hard to tell really - to me the whole thing just looks like a waste of time, you don't battle the Pokémon then? You just try to catch them... with Pokeballs which cost you real money? :blank:

Am I missing something here? ::shrug:

In the initial reveal, something that practically everyone missed, was that they explained that you can catch Pokémon without even opening your phone. Just press the GO Plus button and it catches. That implies no battles to capture

Yep, pretty much what I'd thought it'd be. Utter garbage.

I've said it before, but I really don't like the path Pokemon Company is going. It's leaving a bad taste in my mouth.

Hey, at least Mystery Dungeon is still entertaining me for hours on end. 5 more Pokemon to go!

Unfortunately, this path is where gaming is heading. Microtransactions. Mobile bullshit.

Sun & Moon will blow our socks off, though :)

Edited by Serebii
Automerged Doublepost

Now now, microtransactions are popular in consoles too. Plus its just a modern version of arcade units trapping you in the transaction loop anyway.

In fairness I understand the lack of battles. If you're out on your mobile trying to find them, you'll probably begin to feel self-conscious if you just point your phone at grass for a few minutes.

Edited by Ashley

Micro-transactions work well when done right, it's just that The Pokémon Company is one of the very worst offenders.

Heh, the game looks about as bad as I expected it to. At least the map screen isn't too bad, I guess.

Micro-transactions work well when done right, it's just that The Pokémon Company is one of the very worst offenders.

Are they really? The microtransaction model in Rumble World and Picross is literally the best way it can ever be done, surely.

(And even Shuffle's microtransactions aren't too bad considering how easy it is to ignore them if you spend some time grinding.)

Heh, the game looks about as bad as I expected it to. At least the map screen isn't too bad, I guess.

Are they really? The microtransaction model in Rumble World and Picross is literally the best way it can ever be done, surely.

(And even Shuffle's microtransactions aren't too bad considering how easy it is to ignore them if you spend some time grinding.)

Nintendo Badge Arcade does them right, far better than anything TPC has done. They make sense in the context of the game, there's nothing obscured, no deception, no BS chance manipulation behind the scenes and the prizes you win have use outside of the game and would otherwise cost actual money in the 3DS Theme Shop.

There's a point to be made for their other Free to Start games as well (Steel Diver Sub Wars and Rusty's Real Deal Baseball), but some would argue that they're closer to Shareware than "modern" F2P, so I'll just leave it at that :p

Miitomo also uses them purely for cosmetics and not to block users from using the app. That's another way of doing them in a way that's far more consumer friendly than TPC's works.

Edited by Dcubed

Nintendo Badge Arcade does them right, far better than anything TPC has done. They make sense in the context of the game, there's nothing obscured, no deception, no BS chance manipulation behind the scenes and the prizes you win have use outside of the game and would otherwise cost actual money in the 3DS Theme Shop.

There's a point to be made for their other Free to Start games as well (Steel Diver Sub Wars and Rusty's Real Deal Baseball), but some would argue that they're closer to Shareware than "modern" F2P, so I'll just leave it at that :p

Miitomo also uses them purely for cosmetics and not to block users from using the app. That's another way of doing them in a way that's far more consumer friendly than TPC's works.

I think what @FireMeowth mean was that Picross and Rumble World could be played completely free, or you put money in to essentially remove those elements. There's an upper spending limit. Hit that and you can spend no more and you get free currency each day.

Gotta cash 'em all!

One could argue that is a good way of doing it. Microtransactions that act as a tax on the lazy.