NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Pokémon Go! (Android/iOS)

I'm going to try and help sorting out meets for this across the UK and US where possible

Wouldn't it be better for you (as a person) to try and arrange some kind of collaborative thing with another site/individual that can focus on those things so you can focus on the game?

Wouldn't it be better for you (as a person) to try and arrange some kind of collaborative thing with another site/individual that can focus on those things so you can focus on the game?

I have lots of free time, don't worry :p

Does this app allow you to train/customise your Pokémon? Are the battles going to have the same depth as the main games? If the answer to these questions is "no", the mainline games are safe.

As for me, I think this is a really cool thing, I might actually get it. I want to know what sorts of wild Pokémon are roaming in the Porto Region.

Does this app allow you to train/customise your Pokémon? Are the battles going to have the same depth as the main games? If the answer to these questions is "no", the mainline games are safe.

As for me, I think this is a really cool thing, I might actually get it. I want to know what sorts of wild Pokémon are roaming in the Porto Region.

Main games are safe. GO even links into them

Main games are safe. GO even links into them

Oh cool, in what way?

Would be nice if it was similar to the PokeWalker thing that they swiftly dropped.

Oh cool, in what way?

Would be nice if it was similar to the PokeWalker thing that they swiftly dropped.

We're not sure yet.

Oh right. I see they're just "thinking of ways to connect". Could be nothing. Or something akin to nothing.

But most likely it'll be some sort of event Pokémon that you can collect from certain places at certain times that are then transferable to the maingames. Like that Mewtwo battle in the trailer.

There is a Pokemon augmented reality game, Pokémon Dream Radar. This sounds extremely similar.

Nah, Pokemon Go is more like Denpa Men. It's a location based game that relies on GPS/WiFi signals; like Ingress (in fact, Pokemon Go is made by the same developer!)

It's the type of game that really is a natural fit for mobiles, given the reliance on a Data signal.

The actual game interaction is gonna be very basic. It's the social aspect of it that is gonna be the main draw (and it'll almost certainly tie into the mainline games via Pokemon Bank - so people who are playing on mobile will have an incentive to pick up the mainline Pokemon games to make use of the Pokemon that they catch with Pokemon Go).

Edited by Dcubed

...and they won't release it for free on the 3DS because..?

That this exists is all fine and dandy, but if Nintendo are at all serious about staying in the hardware business, everything they make for mobile should be available in a superior version on their own hardware.

I don't think the 3DS is technically capable of doing this in a good way - hence the mobile. Also due to the fact that it probably requires constant Internet connection to function properly.

I used to love the mainline games when I was younger. Ive got both Y and Omega Ruby buy just cannot get back into them. They're just far too many Pokemon that I just have no idea what is decent and what isnt.

That this exists is all fine and dandy, but if Nintendo are at all serious about staying in the hardware business, everything they make for mobile should be available in a superior version on their own hardware.

Presumably, the 3DS can't do geo-location (or some other technical aspect) as well as mobiles do.

A better reason, though, is that they want mobile and 3DS to interact with - and complement - one another, and having the same app exist in the 3DS in a strictly superior version doesn't really do this.

Furthermore, considering the app seems tailor-made to interact with the mainline games, I think that already counts as "the superior version" that people would be encouraged to get.

Mind you, all of this is speculation, as we don't have that much info on this.

Did no one else feel bad for Mewtwo at the end?

There is a Pokemon augmented reality game, Pokémon Dream Radar. This sounds extremely similar.

Yes, I knew this reminded me of something! The closest I could get before seeing your post was the Denpa Men.

What they need are special AR glasses for Pokémon GO to make it like the trailer, until then I expect to see a lot of disappointed people when the game does come around.

I expect to see a lot of disappointed people when the game does come around.

We were all thinking that already.

giphy.gif

But seriously, it will be interesting to see if this has a quick drop-off rate.

zI do wonder if the Google Maps April Fool's was made because this was in early planning stages back then.

The 3DS doesn't have a GPS chip or 3G/4G.

zI do wonder if the Google Maps April Fool's was made because this was in early planning stages back then.

Isn't Niantic a former Google company?

It is indeed. Only just split a few months ago actually!

Nintendo and Google have always had a good relationship in general. In fact they've partnered a good few times before; they even co-developed a Japan only Wii game that was sort of like a quiz show game based on Google searches.

It became independent in August this year.

Ah okay, it is possible then. Or Google just has nerds working there!

Completely irrelevant but does anyone else find this picture of Pikachu creepy?

gaming-pokemon-go.jpg

It looks like its made out of slightly melted rubber.

Edited by Ashley

Pokemon Go to be shown off at GDC.

One of the year's biggest events for the development community will take place from 14th-18th March (public expo from 16th March) with GDC (Game Developers Conference) in San Francisco. Thousands of developers and industry professionals will descend on the city for a series of events, networking sessions and opportunities to try out new projects.

There'll be some interest in a major Nintendo project, too, with Pokémon Go to be shown off in a special session by the project's developer Niantic. The company's CEO, John Hanke, will be giving the presentation (date and time to be confirmed) to go into depth on the intriguing real-world AR game, the partnership with Nintendo and The Pokemon Company and how the app will work with the accompanying bluetooth device.

Below is part of the event's description.

Over the last three years, Niantic, Inc. has been defining the genre of Real World gaming, using smartphones and tablets to connect the digital world to the physical world. Niantic's newest game, Pokemon GO, ups the challenge of real world gaming design, taking a beloved franchise and setting its hundreds of brightly-colored monsters loose across the globe, adding a new Bluetooth wearable device created by Nintendo to the mix. Join Niantic founder and CEO John Hanke as he discusses how the company has developed a unique vision for delivering a mobile Pokemon experience that gets would-be trainers into the outdoors.

No fixed date and time has been set yet, but this'll be another event that builds anticipation for the promising Pokémon app.

No fixed date and time has been set yet, but this'll be another event that builds anticipation for the promising Pokémon app.

Uhhh... I can't help but feel this is a bit of an optimistic choice of word.

I mean, exactly how much actual gameplay have we seen of this?

Because I remember it being next to none.