NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Pokémon Go! (Android/iOS)

The capture rate on Entei is a fucking joke (emphasis on the 'fucking').

The first day I did six raids. I took my time. Was throwing pretty consistently. Finally on the last one, on a Curling ball that was neither 'Nice', 'Great' or 'Excellent' I managed to catch one with 15/15/15. And by that point my 12 Golden Razz Berries had become none, so he was caught on a budget Razz Berry. Yes, it was a perfect Entei. And to be honest, thank god I did because it's really let me experience a no-pressure involvement when I take part in them from now on.

I did one yesterday, again no dice.

But I'm now back from my 8th Entei raid. This time I used the set-circle trick. And it really worked. I got 14 balls to throw. Missed my first one (lol – still getting used to the distance and setting the circle). But every other throw was a Curling Great ball. Except one which was 'Excellent' and another which just rolled out of my had after some lag while spinning (anyone else experience this? Occasionally I get a touch of lag while casting my ball and it falls short, which is also annoying but this time it happened while I was spinning).

Every ball was Razz Berried – because I'm out of Golden Razz Berries and lo and behold I received none again.

It's kind of shitty. And it's compounded by the reworked – and fucking trite loot drops. In the past 8 raids I've only received 6 Golden Razz Berries, from one of the raids.

I know the base rate is the same as Lugia but Lugia had a Psychic and Flying badge capture rate bonus to go with him (which are easy to get Gold badges in because of Natu pokemon everywhere). Entei is just fire and...well, I hardly ever see fire Pokemon to catch. So that's annoying, too.

Edited by Daft

I'm not overly keen on how Raids work so far, i thought if a raid was on going you'd be easily able to join, but it seems you need to physically find where the people raiding are to get the code or guess it, i'd assumed it was a public event and it would join players up to the cap and then start a new lobby.

I've not had any issue joining public raids tbh. But I'm in London which seems to have plenty of people raiding near central.

1 hour ago, Agent Gibbs said:

I'm not overly keen on how Raids work so far, i thought if a raid was on going you'd be easily able to join, but it seems you need to physically find where the people raiding are to get the code or guess it, i'd assumed it was a public event and it would join players up to the cap and then start a new lobby.

It is public by default but you can set up a private group if you want. I think people set up private groups if they know they have enough people to beat the boss as a way to stop spoofers piggy backing on the raid, although this can be annoying if you're not part of the group and they are not easily visible.

Haven't been out since Entei dropped but already have two premium passes as well as two you can get for free. That gives me four attempts and if I still haven't caught one (or two) I've got 1,000 coins so could get 10 more attempts!

Edited by Eddage

Oh dear...

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2017/09/pokemon_boss_didnt_think_switch_would_be_a_success_in_the_age_of_the_smartphone

“I told Nintendo that Switch wouldn’t be a success before it went on sale, because I thought that in the age of the smartphone, no one would carry out a game console. It’s obvious I was wrong. I came to realize the key to a successful game is quite simple. Software with absolute quality leads sales of hardware. Playing style can be flexible if the software is attractive enough. Currently it’s popular among the early adopters, but there needs to be one more step to attract a wider audience. I see more potential in Switch, but one shouldn’t overestimate its potential

I guess me and @Glen-i were right in saying that TPC were (very likely) planning on going full mobile with the mainline series, at least before the Switch blew up; terrifying to think about.  Also worrying to think that TPC's strategy isn't congruent with Nintendo's even now, as well as the fact that this guy still doubts the Switch in the long term...

With people like him at the head of TPC, I don't feel comfortable with the direction the brand is taking...

• Like 1

I'm 11 for 2 on Entei. He's a real shit. And these loot drops are Grade A balls.

5 hours ago, Dcubed said:

Oh dear...

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2017/09/pokemon_boss_didnt_think_switch_would_be_a_success_in_the_age_of_the_smartphone

I guess me and @Glen-i were right in saying that TPC were (very likely) planning on going full mobile with the mainline series, at least before the Switch blew up; terrifying to think about.  Also worrying to think that TPC's strategy isn't congruent with Nintendo's even now, as well as the fact that this guy still doubts the Switch in the long term...

With people like him at the head of TPC, I don't feel comfortable with the direction the brand is taking...

Is he Ghetsis? He has to be. It's the only plausible explanation. Which hopefully makes the Switch the symbolic equivalent of me and my LV 61 Krookodile (Man, B/W was such a good game)

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Dcubed said:

Oh dear...

To be fair, it was a fair shout. Switch doing well is great but it could very easily have gone wrong.

I doubt he still thinks it. I imagine we'll start seeing spin-offs on Switch soon :)

On ‎05‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 4:38 PM, Daft said:

I've not had any issue joining public raids tbh. But I'm in London which seems to have plenty of people raiding near central.

On ‎05‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 5:31 PM, Eddage said:

It is public by default but you can set up a private group if you want. I think people set up private groups if they know they have enough people to beat the boss as a way to stop spoofers piggy backing on the raid, although this can be annoying if you're not part of the group and they are not easily visible.

Haven't been out since Entei dropped but already have two premium passes as well as two you can get for free. That gives me four attempts and if I still haven't caught one (or two) I've got 1,000 coins so could get 10 more attempts!

People in Leeds are arseholes then and automatically set it to private then it seems! the best place for on going raids in the City are in the shopping centres, where its not easy to see who is raiding

Another two Entei raids. Threw 7 or 8 curling Excellent Balls across the both of them and the rest were Great (had a couple misses). Still no dice. This crap RNG luck is endlessly frustrating.

I'm 13 for 2 on Entei now.

I caught Suicune on my second raid. I'm pleased. Got to hatch as many eggs as humanly possible by 9pm tonight, gone from about 40,000 Stardust to 618,000.

Banging.

Caught my first too Sunday. I kept having network issues during the raid and catching round. Eventually got kicked out on the catching round and couldn’t get back in. When checking my Pokémon later I saw Suicune in my dex. 

Expect Gen 3 Pokemon to start appearing around Halloween. This is the new loading screen.

OcTwf3tl.png

Now you'll finally be able to get some actual good Pokemon.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Here's hoping that they update the egg hatching mechanics once Gen 3 comes in as it's near impossible to get certain Pokemon.

Yo @Serebii, a little Pidgey tells me one of the first Gen 3 Pokemon you caught was a Spoink.

Just admit that Grumpig is awesome already and you can't wait to get one.

Edited by Glen-i

The last month of Pokemon Go has been so much fun. I am LOVING the weather update (and all the other QoL updates like the guaranteed Golden Razz Berries for completing Legendary Raids).

So after catching a 100IV Entei what seems like aaaaages ago...

I've managed to catch a 100IV Raikou

A 2222CP (100IV) Ho-oh ran on me. Boo-urns!!

And yesterday I caught a 100IV Groudon.

I honestly can't believe it. Super crazy luck. Shame I didn't land the Ho-oh to go 4 for 4 but I'm glad I caught any of them.

Edited by Daft
  • Like 1

Yeah, the weather update has been really nice and made a lot new Pokémon appear to me. I had a break from August last year to July this year so had a lot of catching up to do but I constantly ran into the same 15-ish Pokémon so couldn't get that far. Now, though, I see a nice variety and have built my collection to almost 200 with quite a few evolutions ready for a Lucky Egg. 

• Like 2

I received an EX Raid pass for next Wednesday. I dislike the system immensely, still do. Now I'm just stressed about catching Mewtwo, even with the high catch rate because at the end of the day, RNGesus is king.

I caught my Mewtwo. The raid was amazing and a lot of fun. It was absolutely pissing with rain and about 25/30 people turned up and huddled in this small stone gazebo structure. Someone from Instinct had been there since 10:30 fighting for control of the gym. At about 12:40 they managed to flip it (although I don't know if they waited until that point to flip it), when I head about the Gym turning Instinct in the WhatsApp group I'm in I headed from work to the gym. It was absolutely pissing with rain. I hate rain. Got there 15 minutes later to a full Instinct gym and carrying 200 Golden Razz Berries and ready to berry away.

Met some fun, enthusiastic people. There were enough of us to split into separate teams. As the game ticked over into the hour of the raid, the rain wasn't letting up but the in-game weather changed to Windy. Boosted Mewtwo. There are 8 of us in the Instinct Raid. I'm really hoping it isn't Focus Blast.

My team

Level 35 Tyranitar (15 Attack)

Level 35 Tyranitar (12 Attack)  

Level 35 Scizor – Double Bug Moves – 100IV

Level 30 Houndoom – Bite/Foul Play – 80IV but 14 Attack

Level 35 Dragonite – 14/14/14

Level 35 Dragonite – 14/14/14

We did it, with a lot of time to spare, and my final Dragonite was a slither away from fainting.

Gym Control + Team Contribution + 2 balls for Damage = 13 Balls.

I'd watched videos on his animation. I'd nailed the timing on my first ball, but not quite the distance. It didn't matter, the ball wobbled thrice and I had myself a Weather Boosted Mewtwo with Focus Blast.

I think everyone caught it except two people (one who already had a Mewtwo).

So, what do I think of the Ex Raid system? I understand it. The scarcity makes it feel like a special event – this definitely felt like more than just a Legendary Raid, but the flip-side is that its exclusivity makes it prohibiting, and unfriendly.

I wouldn't be unhappy if they scrapped it. Being on the inside, I had a lot of fun (although it was stressful leading up to the event). But from the outside in, it's not a good system. 

• Like 1

Personally I’m not a fan of the system, I know they need to make these legendary Pokémon extra special and need a different way to get them, but there seems to be no rhyme or reason as to how the passes are handed out, it just seems completely random. 

‘I’m still enjoying the game though and would like the weather to warm up so I can’t really start getting out again. My main way I’m playing at the moment is with the Go+ and catching whilst working. 

• Like 1