NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Pokémon Go! (Android/iOS)

This discussion is pointless anyway because it focuses on the very short term effects of Go on handheld games - we know the next Pokemon games are coming to 3DS as that's what they were made for. What now - now that money is clearly just oozing out of Go?

Yep, after the hype dies down, it will be interesting to see how well Sun/Moon does compared to say, Black/White, which also came out late in a console's life.

It's far too soon to be jumping up and down, declaring GO! to have made a massive contribution to the sales. You can't prove that, really. Especially with the already mentioned sale that recently happened.

No one's suggesting it's made a massive contribution to sales. But it would be stupid to think it hasn't sold a few extra 3DSs and games around the world that wouldn't otherwise have been bought.

Actually, you said it would have a push on hardware (3DS), nothing to do with people buying software on consoles they already own. I said I can't see it having a major effect on people who don't already have a 3DS but like Pokemon Go, because ultimately they are very different games. The counter to your claim is also invisible - how many will now not buy a 3DS for the next Pokemon games because they are getting some essence of a Pokemon fix on mobile? It's a difficult argument to prove either way tbh. Also regarding the software point you made - I believe Red/Blue/Yellow have also been on sale, and these Pokemon are the ones that feature in Go.

This discussion is pointless anyway because it focuses on the very short term effects of Go on handheld games - we know the next Pokemon games are coming to 3DS as that's what they were made for. What now - now that money is clearly just oozing out of Go?

I find it odd that some people are literally falling over themselves to exclaim how great this is for handheld Pokemon. I just think...really? If anything, I can see the popularity of this causing a shift in Nintendo's focus. Why spend all that time making games for dedicated hardware when there is SO much more money to be made in mobile? I could see this having a long-term detrimental effect on the Pokemon handheld series, quite the opposite of what some people here think.

This isn't shifting Nintendo's strategy at all. They were quite clear on what mobile offerings would be and if anything they should be applauded that such a barebones game has generated such revenue. Not a chance they will shift to the detriment of there own hardware sales.

If you want the full Pokémon experience you must have Nintendo hardware. That will always be the case.

You say so much more money to be made? Isn't that a guess considering we need to know what Nintendo actually earn themselves from this and secondly it's still to early to determine the long term success of Pokémon Go.

Thirdly doesn't Pokémon Go show that a smartphone audience and dedicated hardware audience different.

Would a full blown Pokémon game releases on ios/android be as popular? I think people playing Go like the fact it's so simple, sociable and without the need of the RPG side of the game. For them it seems Go is just fine and that's not a problem. If Nintendo can release software to satisfy that audience and then release software for the more dedicated Pokémon fan it seems like a win win.

For adults who play Go I don't see it having much effect on them but I have no doubt kids playing Go when seeing adverts for Sun and Moon will be telling there parents they want that game.

Edited by liger05

No one's suggesting it's made a massive contribution to sales.

Pretty sure it was implied by a couple of people... Not to mention that info was talked about in this particular thread.

But what (I'm assuming) Sheikah and I are wondering is whether it'll have a negative effect on the upcoming mainline games. It's certainly possible. Mobile phone gamers can be hilariously stingy and cheap. And there's more than a few people who won't buy newer Pokemon games because they think Pokemon should just have the initial 150. They're completely wrong, but that's not for here.

But it would be stupid to think it hasn't sold a few extra 3DSs and games around the world that wouldn't otherwise have been bought.

Through that same basis, I could claim that having access to GO! on their mobile would make some people think, "I'm not paying 40 quid for that when I could just carry on playing GO! It doesn't even have GPS tracking. So I can't even meet up with my friends."

It works both ways. Until we see those sales figures for S/M, there's no way of knowing the long term impact this will have.

This isn't shifting Nintendo's strategy at all. They were quite clear on what mobile offerings would be and if anything they should be applauded that such a barebones game has generated such revenue. Not a chance they will shift to the detriment of there own hardware sales.

If you want the full Pokémon experience you must have Nintendo hardware. That will always be the case.

Yeah, for now.

But business strategies change. Remember a time when Konami didn't make Pachinko machines? Remember when the thought of Pokemon spin-off games being free-to-play was laughable?

The Pokemon Company are flat out scaring me sometimes with the direction they're going. Thankfully, Game Freak don't appear to be following suit.

Well, not yet. I have a genuine fear that they might go a very unfavourable road in response to this in the future, especially if Sun/Moon end up being the worst selling mainline game. ("If" being the key word)

Edited by Glen-i
Automerged Doublepost

Through that same basis, I could claim that having access to GO! on their mobile would make some people think, "I'm not paying 40 quid for that when I could just carry on playing GO! It doesn't even have GPS tracking. So I can't even meet up with my friends."

Different audiences. Sun and Moon doesn't need to be picked up by those playing Go to be a success.

I fail to believe that fans of the Pokémon games would suddenly not be interested due to playing Go. They are totally different experiences.

Got my first egg, but I'm so far away from hatching it. Only walked 0.17km so far.

I can't bring myself to walk around with my phone out looking like a lemon. It would be great if it could run in the background and record how far you've walked with your phone in your pocket.

Different audiences. Sun and Moon doesn't need to be picked up by those playing Go to be a success.

I fail to believe that fans of the Pokémon games would suddenly not be interested due to playing Go. They are totally different experiences.

EDIT: I'm not saying it won't be a success, it's Pokemon. It'll sell. But if it doesn't do as well as Black/White, I'm sure someone at Game Freak will wonder if GO affected it.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. The majority of people are insanely cheap.

Why do you think mobile gaming took off so massively in the first place?

EDIT: I'm not saying it won't be a success, it's Pokemon. It'll sell. But if it doesn't do as well as Black/White, I'm sure someone at Game Freak will wonder if GO affected it.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. The majority of people are insanely cheap.

Why do you think mobile gaming took off so massively in the first place?

But why can't this be seen as anything different to say fifa.

Fifa gets released on smartphones but we don't think people who love fifa on consoles see a smart device release as something comparable or something which would take them away from the console version.

I just don't see Go having an effect on Sun and Moon sales negatively simply because the games are completely different. It's far more likely that if the game isn't very good that would have an effect rather than the success of Go

Got my first egg, but I'm so far away from hatching it. Only walked 0.17km so far.

I can't bring myself to walk around with my phone out looking like a lemon. It would be great if it could run in the background and record how far you've walked with your phone in your pocket.

I heard if you lock your phone while the game is still running then it might still register, haven't tested that though.

Doesn't work for me.

When I unlock my phone it pops up with a "no GPS signal found" message for a few seconds, suggesting when you lock it cuts everything out (although maybe it's to do with my personal settings on my phone).

This isn't shifting Nintendo's strategy at all.

So they make a mobile game and it becomes the highest grossing app in pretty much every region. Pokemon Go more than doubles the value of Nintendo and they didn't really even make it. Pokemon Go alone makes them more valuable than Sony.

All this, and 'it doesn't change Nintendo's strategy at all'. That is pretty extraordinary, don't you think? If I started making money like that by doing something, do you not think that just maybe I'd focus on doing that more, and less of my normal day job?

Do you not remember how when Kinect started doing gangbusters that whole companies such as Rare became Kinect developers for a time? How they packaged that in with the next console and afflicted everyone with it?

Do you not remember how when the Wii did gangbusters, such was its success, Nintendo made a direct console sequel, based heavily around the previous one (especially in terms of gimmicks and power)?

Do you not remember Konami and Sega - they started making money from mobile. What happened to them?

My point is, we have all too often seen something that is successful cause companies to redirect their focus.

[They were quite clear on what mobile offerings would be and if anything they should be applauded that such a barebones game has generated such revenue. Not a chance they will shift to the detriment of there own hardware sales.[

Yah? Well for one, that was before they started adding trillions of yen to their company value. Second, Nintendo are well known for their smelly chat. Past classics include 'online is the air they breathe'.

Oh right, cool. Which board meeting did you hear this in?

Maybe what you say is right and they carry on for the rest of time making dedicated hardware and comprehensive Pokemon Games (which I find unlikely as handhelds seem like a dwindling breed). But we have heard from Niantic that many more features are pegged for Go. Secondly, the game has been mined; and it turns out it's WAY more complicated than people first have it credit for. The groundwork is done to allow this game to be fleshed out. Maybe it will never have a single player adventure pegged to it but that's not the be all and end all.

You say so much more money to be made? Isn't that a guess considering we need to know what Nintendo actually earn themselves from this and secondly it's still to early to determine the long term success of Pokémon Go.

No, it's not really a guess. Pokemon go is making serious amounts of money - not only did it more than double the value of Nintendo and make them valued higher than Sony, it is estimated to be making 1.6 million dollars a day (way more than that now as it is out in more countries) on iOS devices alone.

It is estimated it made 14 million dollars in the first 6 days of release, when it was available only in Australia, New Zealand and North America. It is making money like never before.

Thirdly doesn't Pokémon Go show that a smartphone audience and dedicated hardware audience different.

Yes - if by different you mean that Go players includes both casuals and hardcore Pokemon players while original Pokemon does not.

Would a full blown Pokémon game releases on ios/android be as popular? I think people playing Go like the fact it's so simple, sociable and without the need of the RPG side of the game. For them it seems Go is just fine and that's not a problem. If Nintendo can release software to satisfy that audience and then release software for the more dedicated Pokémon fan it seems like a win win.

I suppose the question is, why pursue far less profitable ventures? Maybe they will, but maybe they won't. It's just that making so much money could make some heads turn.

No one's suggesting it's made a massive contribution to sales. But it would be stupid to think it hasn't sold a few extra 3DSs and games around the world that wouldn't otherwise have been bought.

And it would be stupid to not recognise that for some, they are getting their Pokemon fix from this game and may now not see the need to invest in a 3DS to play more Pokemon.

It's not about the audiences. It's about profitability. I'm sure Konami had a somewhat different audience that was buying MGS5 compared to playing their pachinko machines and mobile games. That doesn't matter though - some companies focus on where the money is and stop doing the other things.

On another note, I expect Sun/Moon will sell a lot of copies (probably more than the previous main game) as more 3DS units are out there than there were when the last game was released. Maybe Go will have sparked some people to get it - time will tell. But I think it will be interesting, particularly if Animal Crossing mobile takes off too, to see what impact the mobile division of Nintendo's games has on the future of their dedicated handheld games.

Edited by Sheikah

But @Sheikah literally every single one of your examples shows a redirect of focus do disastrous results, so yeah,companies have done, Nintendo, but it rarely works, maybe they'll learn from it, these once in a life time moments cannot be replicated.

And when sun and moon sells even better because of go, and they make lots of money from that, maybe their original strategy will be the continued and right one, these 'different' experiences drawing people to the bigger more dedicated ones on the consoles.

I think you'd have to be stupid to see this one game do so well me presume it should be the way going forward. How did miitomo do? Let's see how animal crossing and fire emblem do.

But @Sheikah literally every single one of your examples shows a redirect of focus do disastrous results, so yeah,companies have done, Nintendo, but it rarely works, maybe they'll learn from it, these once in a life time moments cannot be replicated.

And when sun and moon sells even better because of go, and they make lots of money from that, maybe their original strategy will be the continued and right one, these 'different' experiences drawing people to the bigger more dedicated ones on the consoles.

I think you'd have to be stupid to see this one game do so well me presume it should be the way going forward. How did miitomo do? Let's see how animal crossing and fire emblem do.

How is Konami's redirect a disastrous result for them? They make bucket loads of money from mobile and pachinko! Much more after they pretty much switched their entire focus to mobile. This is after all the most relevant example to Nintendo and Pokemon Go (the other examples were just to show that companies have often switched focus based on where the money is).

Pokemon Go has also done better than any other app from any other traditional developer, so the focus-altering pressures can only be higher. Sure, it's one game. But it's proof of concept and also more than doubled Nintendo's value. It's absolutely bonkers is what it is, and I'd be very surprised if Nintendo weren't thinking about doing more mobile now they've seen that there's such money to be made.

Edited by Sheikah

No it can't run in the background but why would you think you have to hold it? Put battery saving mode on (the in-game option, not a device setting) and put it in your pocket upside down, the screen will go off to save battery but the game is still running.

And presumably turn off any screen lock settings you have? Mine is set to lock after 30 seconds. Does the app supersede that?

Hey guys, I remember pages and pages back that people were talking about planned future features and content. Having trouble finding it though.

Does anyone have a link to a post about it or could someone be kind enough to just give it to me in bullet points! (Puuuwweeeeeeeees?)

That didn't work for me Shorty, but no matter. Still caught myself a cheeky Dratini. b295c5c66a531740474b39d5908514fd.jpg

So is the only way to get Dratini Candy (for example) catching Dratini? If I want to evolve it, I'll need to catch 22 others?

That didn't work for me Shorty, but no matter. Still caught myself a cheeky Dratini. b295c5c66a531740474b39d5908514fd.jpg

So is the only way to get Dratini Candy (for example) catching Dratini? If I want to evolve it, I'll need to catch 22 others?

Yep that's right. A good tip to get more candy would be to transfer Pokémon (if you have many of the same), which will give you an extra candy.

I caught a few Dratini's in Amsterdam yesterday along a harbour :D

You get three per catch, plus an extra if you transfer one (which is just deleting it).

Yep that's right. A good tip to get more candy would be to transfer Pokémon (if you have many of the same), which will give you an extra candy.

I caught a few Dratini's in Amsterdam yesterday along a harbour :D

No, not quite right - you get 3 candies for catching a Pokemon (every time) and 1 more for trading it in.

Edited by Sheikah

Ah yes, for some reason I thought when you traded it, you lost the three it was carrying, but you got one back.

Went to a Pokemon Go meet today which involved 6k of walking and hundreds of lures being dropped along the walk in between 30 minute stops at strategic places in Bristol. Had a great time and met some really nice people, it is this community aspect that makes the game so utterly fantastic! Roughly 200 people turned up at various points throughout the day, even had an ITV West news reporter filming parts of it!

Caught a Tentacruel which I was happy with but the highlight of the day was evolving my Magikarp into a Gyarados. That was even better than the Blastoise I found 20 metres outside my front door at 8:30 this morning :heh:

This is what my top Pokemon look like now...

Screenshot_20160723-210356.pngScreenshot_20160723-210413.pngScreenshot_20160723-210433.pngScreenshot_20160723-210453.png

So close to a 2000+ CP Pokemon!

I'm about 60k XP from reaching level 25 and have roughly 60 Pokemon ready to evolve whilst using a Lucky Egg so will hit 25 tomorrow/Monday. I then start work on Tuesday so my play time will seriously reduce but my one target before starting work was to have a Gyarados so I'm happy I managed to achieve that!

Hey guys, I remember pages and pages back that people were talking about planned future features and content. Having trouble finding it though.

Does anyone have a link to a post about it or could someone be kind enough to just give it to me in bullet points! (Puuuwweeeeeeeees?)

Shall I take that as a no then? :(

Shall I take that as a no then? :(

The only detailed features for upcoming patches is Trading and Generations 2 through 7

The only detailed features for upcoming patches is Trading and Generations 2 through 7

Ah ok thanks :D

Didnt I hear something about peer to peer PvP or was that just speculation then?