NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Pokémon Go! (Android/iOS)

[tweet]754144048529625088[/tweet]

Remember when people thought it would do damage to the franchise? :heh:

Still could :p We've not seen the long-term repercussions

I've been with windows phone for 3 years and I'm finally moving off to Android because of Pokemon Go...

I recall them showing the trailer and the part with the massive meetup between people trying to catch a Mewtwo and heard comments along the lines of the scene being overly ambitious with the amount of people who would actually try this together.

Doesn't seem so Farfetch'd now...

Reading the first 5 pages of this thread for the first time makes for interesting reading.

Incense spawns 1 pokémon every 5 min while standing still and every 1 min/200 meters while moving. Thought you guys want to know!

Reading the first 5 pages of this thread for the first time makes for interesting reading.

Indeed...

It will be interesting to see how it all plays out. I think this has the potential to be bigger than the mainline games.

It's still early days but the hype around this thing has certainly surpassed any of the mainline stuff in recent years.

Yesterday I was reading on Gaf about a guy who works in a game store over in the US. He said when the servers were all down on Saturday he had people coming in buying all the Pokemon games that he had in stock. He eventually sold out of everything due to people wanting their Pokemon fix. :D

Incense spawns 1 pokémon every 5 min while standing still and every 1 min/200 meters while moving. Thought you guys want to know!

How many steps is 200m?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Still could :p We've not seen the long-term repercussions

You are so salty.

You are so salty.

Why? It's not a good game (though hunting with friends is fun).

The game itself is mediocre at best. It's buggy as hell and it's shallow as hell.

If this represents a fundamental change in Pokémon, then Pokémon is fucked

Is there a level cap on trainers/Pokemon? The reason I ask is that gyms are normally defended by 1000+ cp Pokemon, which is going to take me a while to get to, since I have a life and other shit to do. But by the time I get there, the Pokemon will probably be even higher. Gyms are basically a no go for me, which seems to be half the fun.

Got sent a data dump for the game. Seems there's IVs (Individual Values, sort of akin to genetics if you're not aware of standard Pokémon fare) in the game, there is a max CP level for each Pokémon.

You can only go up to an absolute maximum of 40 "levels" of a Pokémon (but most will be a lot less since they start higher).

STAB is in the game at *1.2 rather than the main game's *1.5, so if you have a Pokémon with a move that matches its type, it's definitely a better option to use for a gym battle.

Currently trying to properly decode the data and will put some full lists up on my site at some point. The systems are surprisingly complex considering how simple the gameplay is.

Edited by Serebii

It might not be shallow but the servers are shit! Just dropped a lure on a poke stop and an xp egg and its kicked me out and won't let me back in! So I've walked and exercised for nothing! Damn you Nintendo I could be at home on this sunny day!

My friend and I just went to a lure. His one works great but my one crashes. Spoke to a few nice people though

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

The game itself is mediocre at best. It's buggy as hell and it's shallow as hell.

What if it represented a branching point? The mainline games (and spinoffs and all that) would exist but this is a different avenue.

This has majorly annoyed me today. First time I was out in a town where there were loads of pokestops and 'mon and all it did was glitch, freeze and not load up.

Having said that, I had a lovely time out anyway! But it would have been good if this actually worked some time...!

Got the game a few days before the UK release and had a lot of fun playing it around my local town. Now it's shit.

I don't really understand these server issues. Surely it's just a case of the developer buying more servers to cope with demand? Or is it more complicated than that?

The shareholders must be losing their shit, so much potential money blown so far.

Well, all the buzz on my social channels is switching from universal praise and excitement to everyone very specifically discussing the game being buggy and broken. Unprecidented success could very well become utterly deserved bad press if these periods of downtime continue much longer.

I went for a run this morning at 7am and the game was working fine but as the day went on it seemed to get worse and worse. Once the US wakes up then it's pretty much game over. :D

Damn you Nintendo I could be at home on this sunny day!

Don't blame Nintendo, it's not their game! But yeah, today I was in a busy city with dozens of lure enhanced Pokéstops, but I got kicked out all the time in this potential gold mine. And it was in a time that USA was not even playing much. Got a Charmander though and hatched my 10km egg into an Eevee. Which gave me enough candy to evolve it, so I decided to try the naming trick:

2d0d90a9aca64f34a065e7367318ed59.jpg

So holy crap, that worked!

I actually agree with you on this.

there is some fun to be had but I am failing to see how anyone can call this a good game. It is average at best but like I said there is fun to be had and I guess that if people are finding it fun then that is a good thing.

If a pokemon game was released on 3DS with no story or strategy and with so much lack of depth it would get ripped to shreds. If Nintendo can get these new pokemon players interested in the proper pokemon games though then what they are doing is working.

if nintendo want to stick with this kind of game on mobile thats fine but god no please dont ever think about taking pokemon in this direction on handheld.

Edited by khilafah

If a pokemon game was released on 3DS with no story or strategy and with so much lack of depth it would get ripped to shreds.

Yeah, because people would expect more from a £40 game. Go is free, so it's silly to expect a full RPG.

It's basically a glorified Easter egg hunt, which is fine by me. It's not meant to be played as a "proper" game, it's just something to do whilst doing other stuff. If I'm in town, I'll see if there's some Pokestops near by, but it's not like I'll sit and play it like I would a console game.

I think it's brilliant seeing people out and about playing it. Got our first "Good luck on the Pokemon trail" from some guy outside his shop today. It's crazy how many people recognise what's going on. The guy looked about 70 and knew all about it and said he'd seen people passing by all day playing it.

Edited by Goafer

My first chance to play in a 'big' town (Scarborough on holibobs) and as much fun as it was seeing all the Pokestops and new Pokemon. I have now reset the game about 40-50 times just from 2-6pm... Soon annoying!!

Got sent a data dump for the game. Seems there's IVs (Individual Values, sort of akin to genetics if you're not aware of standard Pokémon fare) in the game, there is a max CP level for each Pokémon.

You can only go up to an absolute maximum of 40 "levels" of a Pokémon (but most will be a lot less since they start higher).

STAB is in the game at *1.2 rather than the main game's *1.5, so if you have a Pokémon with a move that matches its type, it's definitely a better option to use for a gym battle.

Currently trying to properly decode the data and will put some full lists up on my site at some point. The systems are surprisingly complex considering how simple the gameplay is.

Cheers! Interesting find!

I wonder if the IVs are actually being used here in Go, or if they're just being put in place for the eventual ability to transfer Pokemon to S/M?

STAB being x1.2 instead of x1.5 is also interesting. I wonder if they might be planning on changing that in S/M as well?