NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Pokémon Go! (Android/iOS)

Do you need to litterally keep the app open? Or can you lock the screen, switch app etc as long as it's running in the background?

Caught myself a pikachu, drowsy, pigey, staryu and a Ghastly (most in Roundhay park)

Do you need to litterally keep the app open? Or can you lock the screen, switch app etc as long as it's running in the background?

Caught myself a pikachu, drowsy, pigey, staryu and a Ghastly (most in Roundhay park)

It has to be open all the time. There's a battery saver option that dims the screen by turning your phone upside down though.

As of now the app needs to running. Which is a pain. The Pokemon Go Plus accessory does the buzzing for this if you can get one.

Right now, you can use the power saving option, which allows you to turn your phone upside down and it dims the screen and turns off the main game screen and just shows a logo.

It's amazing that it'll probably be this and not the five years of lobbying by smartphone enthusiasts which results in an increase in battery life...

On another note, everyone heard about T-Mobile (in America at least)? Starting next Tuesday there will be no data deducted from your tariff for an entire year just for GO (I mean, it uses like 0.01GB per hour as is, but still!)

A mobile game makes a network offer its customers free data.

Wow.

Meanwhile at Nintendo...

tumblr_nqjy4vic9b1tszwcio1_500.gif

Anything to get American phone prices down. A quick glance and a sim only 2GB data plan is $50 a month. It's crazy how much more it costs there.

Anything to get American phone prices down. A quick glance and a sim only 2GB data plan is $50 a month. It's crazy how much more it costs there.

The price of Freedom!

Caught myself 2 Eevee's, a Ghastly, a clefairy on my way to work, then right at the entrance to my work got stopped by this guy

22890006-6F34-4762-9D36-4B8333E39BA5_zpsakgac2ja.png

`Had a little dabble but didn't fully understand it, went to the blue icons but they were poke stops, how do you find Pokemon? Are they the bits of dirt and leaves which fly up? I was literally on it 10 minutes so it's probably all really easy.

With regard S to some posts above, you can see where Pokemon are 15 minutes away? And you need to keep your phone on to get it rather than turning it off, going to the place and turning it back on?

`Had a little dabble but didn't fully understand it, went to the blue icons but they were poke stops, how do you find Pokemon? Are they the bits of dirt and leaves which fly up? I was literally on it 10 minutes so it's probably all really easy.

With regard S to some posts above, you can see where Pokemon are 15 minutes away? And you need to keep your phone on to get it rather than turning it off, going to the place and turning it back on?

The leaves are rough locations of pokemon.

As for the keeping phone on - that's for eggs, which requires you to walk a certain distance to hatch them.

Both myself and the missus downloaded it yesterday and I've been having a bit of a go with it on and off for the best part of a day now and it's ok. A little more depth would be nice but I was having fun just walking about my local area trying to catch things and bumping into loads of other people playing as well and seeing that we all tucked our phones to our chest as we walked passed one another :laughing:

You'd think with so many people wandering about with phones we'd all try and stop hiding the fact that we're playing because it's clear when you're holding the phone up and swiping at the screen that it's this. All seems to be people around my age though that I've seen playing so far, so much for Pokémon being for kids (they probably don't know who half of the mon are).

Best I've managed to catch was a 185CP Golbat in my house earlier this morning. Only just got to level 5 so not taken on a gym but quickly looking at what's around shows that all the battles would be against Pokémon at nearly 1000CP so that's not happening anytime soon. Did have my first Zubat appear in the middle of a bloody road but being sensible, I crossed the road and caught it rather than the guy I saw last night standing in the middle of the street trying to catch something.

So yeah, at the moment it's intriguing. A novelty perhaps but it'll be interesting to see how Nintendo/Niantic expand the game and whether the novelty wears off with people quickly or not.

A novelty perhaps but it'll be interesting to see how Nintendo/Niantic expand the game and whether the novelty wears off with people quickly or not.

The novelty has worn off with me already.

It just doesn't have enough content (yet...I hope). It's hardly even a game, then again it's probably not supposed to be one.

But even as an app it's horrible. Constant freezes, crashes, sever issues...it needs improvements soon.

I enjoyed it for what it was, now I've moved on ::shrug:

Still, it's great to see that this app is a big success.

Hopefully the crazy feedback Nintendo got will push them to go further with the idea of a big world that has Pokémon "living" in it.

As I've posted "The 'other' Wii U Thread" two days ago: Pokémon Go! just makes me want a console Pokémon RPG.

I tried it yesterday and yeah while it's kinda fun hunting down Pokémon this game or is it just an actual app not really for me.

It's lacking so much depth. Don't really find myself having any Desire to continue playing to be honest.

Had planned to walk about 3 miles this morning to the local shopping complex as opposed to getting the bus, but seeing as it started raining, the bus seemed like a smarter move. Dropped an incense for the duration of my ride, and found:

• Dratini

• Machoke

• Hypno

• A Fearow (which got away due to the game freezing...)

• Wartortle

• Vulpix

• Geodude

And a bunch of others very rare around my area! Now to find more Dratini...

nintendos-mobile-strategy-2008-whats-an-iphone-2010-whats-an-3063056.png

Pretty accurate. Am loving the stories with regards to autistic children and this game bringing them out into the real world; talking and making eye contact with strangers.

No matter how long the hype or excitement stays from the masses, it's always hard to gauge these things, I expect people to look into using apps like this in the future in a medical capacity.

Pretty accurate. Am loving the stories with regards to autistic children and this game bringing them out into the real world; talking and making eye contact with strangers.

No matter how long the hype or excitement stays from the masses, it's always hard to gauge these things, I expect people to look into using apps like this in the future in a medical capacity.

they really shouldn't make eye contact with trainers though

Team update...

Screenshot_20160715-172220.png

Was so fucking hyped with that Arcanine! I've had two Growlithe hatch from eggs which gave me enough candy to evolve the second one into that beast!

Only walked just under 8 miles today but explored some different parts of Bristol that I've never been to before, including an awesome park with a huge tower and mini waterfall.

Am currently level 22. The XP needed to level up is getting crazy now, for 21 you needed 50,000 XP, 22 was 75,000 and to reach 23 you need 100,000! I currently have 39,000 of that 100k and have saved up a load of Pokemon to evolve which I'll do just after using a lucky egg for some serious gains :heh:

Edit: Also, none of those Starmie know any water moves which kinda sucks!

I hate all of you.

I'm still getting nothing but shite and I really really want a Staryu / Starmie.

Ugh.

If we're comparing teams

NLUMxkj.png

I caught a 19CP Wortortle today.

Played a lot less today - had Star Wars Celebration to cover as well as sorting out some birthday stuff - but that didn't stop me from setting an incense on the way to the shopping complex (a good 30 minute drive) and finding a Dratini!

My mediocre bunch:

Screenshot_20160715-190612.png

Walked into town today (3 Pokestops on the route, huzzah!) And the amount of people playing was crazy.

Also, this is my local gym:

20160715_180203.jpg

The hill is fucking steep and I got destroyed. Won't be going back until my Pokemon are totally ripped.

Is it normal to feel slightly annoyed by these new casual Pokémon fans - who would usually scoff at the thought of any adult still playing proper Pokémon. I hope Nintendo doesn't do a Wii and start a new focus on this new crowd.

Is it normal to feel slightly annoyed by these new casual Pokémon fans - who would usually scoff at the thought of any adult still playing proper Pokémon. I hope Nintendo doesn't do a Wii and start a new focus on this new crowd.

Someone finally gets me!

Before, I was that weird man playing Pokemon on the bus.

Now, I'm that weird man playing Pokemon on the bus, but not with his phone.

Someone finally gets me!

Before, I was that weird man playing Pokemon on the bus.

Now, I'm that weird man playing Pokemon on the bus, but not with his phone.

Really exposes how fickle people generally are and how superficial their "games are for kids" stance is. TRUE GAMERS FOR LIFE! (I love you all).