NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Pokémon Go! (Android/iOS)

Pokémon Go is taking over the world.

And in early trading in Tokyo on Monday, shares of Nintendo went absolutely parabolic, rising as much as 23%. Shares of Nintendo rose about 10% on Friday.

According to Bloomberg’s David Ingles in Hong Kong, this is the best one-day move for the stock since 1983.

To be more clear, the 23% rise is the single biggest rise in stock value in a single day since 1983. In Japan.

This is going to please the shareholders and no doubt will get them pushing for more mobile games from Nintendo.

If Nintendo keep people interested in Pokemon GO and nail the up and coming Animal Crossing mobile game, then this could be a new era for the company.

Pokémon Go is taking over the world.

And in early trading in Tokyo on Monday, shares of Nintendo went absolutely parabolic, rising as much as 23%. Shares of Nintendo rose about 10% on Friday.

According to Bloomberg’s David Ingles in Hong Kong, this is the best one-day move for the stock since 1983.

To be more clear, the 23% rise is the single biggest rise in stock value in a single day since 1983. In Japan.

This is going to please the shareholders and no doubt will get them pushing for more mobile games from Nintendo.

If Nintendo keep people interested in Pokemon GO and nail the up and coming Animal Crossing mobile game, then this could be a new era for the company.

Sad times for gaming indeed :p

A great time for gaming. Nintendo have managed to turn the stale Pokemon series into something interesting to the masses again.

A great time for gaming. Nintendo have managed to turn the stale Pokemon series into something interesting to the masses again.

Something predicted the day Nintendo decided to go mobile. Once share holders see it as a success they will push for more no doubt.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised seeing more resources from Nintendo going into mobile.

Wasn't the argument always that Nintendo wanted to use mobile as a platform for people then to move to Nintendo hardware

Does anyone believe that people who play Pokemon Go but don't own a 3DS are now gonna go buy a 3DS to play a fully fledged Pokemon game?

Something predicted the day Nintendo decided to go mobile. Once share holders see it as a success they will push for more no doubt.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised seeing more resources from Nintendo going into mobile.

Wasn't the argument always that Nintendo wanted to use mobile as a platform for people then to move to Nintendo hardware

Does anyone believe that people who play Pokemon Go but don't own a 3DS are now gonna go buy a 3DS to play a fully fledged Pokemon game?

The world seems to have stopped for this game! It's getting unbelievable buzz. I can easily see it pushing people to get a 3DS to play a proper Pokemon game.

Anyone know when it's out in the UK? Keen to play

The world seems to have stopped for this game! It's getting unbelievable buzz. I can easily see it pushing people to get a 3DS to play a proper Pokemon game.

The official release has been put on hold whilst server issues are resolved. Hopefully not too long though.

The official release has been put on hold whilst server issues are resolved. Hopefully not too long though.

I really not sure people will move over to a proper Pokémon game.

I do wonder if what people are getting out of Pokemon Go is perfectly enough for them.

They see no reason to play a fully fleshed out Pokemon game.

Bit size mobile offering is enough for them.

Will say with the all the buzz Pokémon GO is getting, maybe this is the time for Nintendo to start pushing Pokémon on 3DS.

See if they can profit from the buzz of Pokémon go

Edited by khilafah

I do wonder if what people are getting out of Pokemon Go is perfectly enough for them.

Will say with the all the buzz Pokémon GO is getting, maybe this is the time for Nintendo to start pushing Pokémon on 3DS.

Edited by khilafah

Obviously the majority won't be swayed to get a 3DS but even if only 1 in 100 do, that's still a big positive for Nintendo.

Obviously the majority won't be swayed to get a 3DS but even if only 1 in 100 do, that's still a big positive for Nintendo.

I think this is a gross misunderstanding of the situation. These people aren't going to go buy a 150-200 quid or whatever 3DS and a 30 quid or so game, after playing this free to play game. These people play these games because of the platform they are on; the experience you get with Go is also VERY different to the one on 3DS (a major reason Go is working is because of the real-world location tie in).

Everyone has a phone in their pocket, ergo it is convenient. Most of these Go players aren't going to put up with the inconvenience and expense of a handheld console. It also matters little to Nintendo either way as there is clearly FAR more to be made with mobile; convincing people to get a 3DS and game is probably not their main concern right now!

I think this is a gross misunderstanding of the situation. These people aren't going to go buy a 150-200 quid or whatever 3DS and a 30 quid or so game, after playing this free to play game. These people play these games because of the platform they are on; the experience you get with Go is also VERY different to the one on 3DS (a major reason Go is working is because of the real-world location tie in).

Everyone has a phone in their pocket, ergo it is convenient. Most of these Go players aren't going to put up with the inconvenience and expense of a handheld console. It also matters little to Nintendo either way as there is clearly FAR more to be made with mobile; convincing people to get a 3DS and game is probably not their main concern right now!

The misunderstanding is you assuming I meant a big chunk of people playing GO will buy a 3DS, they obviously won't. The point is, some will, even if that number is 1 in 100 that's still a bonus for Nintendo. They've said themselves they're using mobile games to push people to their consoles and handhelds. To suggest that no 3DS's will be sold because of Pokemon GO is a little close minded.

The misunderstanding is you assuming I meant a big chunk of people playing GO will buy a 3DS, they obviously won't. The point is, some will, even if that number is 1 in 100 that's still a bonus for Nintendo. They've said themselves they're using mobile games to push people to their consoles and handhelds. To suggest that no 3DS's will be sold because of Pokemon GO is a little close minded.

I think the effect will be so small as to not really matter. Just very different games...on paper, handheld consoles are a very hard sell now. So expensive and handhelds are not already in your pocket.

If anything I can see Go becoming more feature-rich as it is such a phenomenal success; and as a result, actually having a negative effect on the main series (Nintendo shift their interested to mobile).

I think the effect will be so small as to not really matter. Just very different games...on paper, handheld consoles are a very hard sell now. So expensive and handhelds are not already in your pocket.

If anything I can see Go becoming more feature-rich as it is such a phenomenal success; and as a result, actually having a negative effect on the main series (Nintendo shift their interested to mobile).

From Eurogamer.

UPDATE 11TH JULY: Now then, the Wall Street Journal has today run a report that says Pokémon Go will "likely be available in other regions, including Europe, Japan and other Asian nations within a few days". That info comes from "people familiar with plans for the game", apparently.

"Days" bodes well for a release this week. But when exactly - early or late this week? - we don't know.

Looks like those of us who didn't use the workaround won't have much longer to wait. :yay:

From Eurogamer.

UPDATE 11TH JULY: Now then, the Wall Street Journal has today run a report that says Pokémon Go will "likely be available in other regions, including Europe, Japan and other Asian nations within a few days". That info comes from "people familiar with plans for the game", apparently.

"Days" bodes well for a release this week. But when exactly - early or late this week? - we don't know.

Looks like those of us who didn't use the workaround won't have much longer to wait. :yay:

It's great to see Pokemon become relevant again. There's a lot of people on my timeline (many from here, granted) who are giving this a go and enjoying it.

So, people are more than willing to play Nintendo's software, but don't necessarily need their hardware in order to do so. Food for thought. ;)