NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Pokémon Go! (Android/iOS)

Pokemon Go looks amazing, if they can pull it off!

Yup. The trailer was hype inducing.

It will be interesting to see how it all plays out. I think this has the potential to be bigger than the mainline games.

I wonder if it will hook up in any way with future Pokemon games on Nintendo devices?

Pokemon GO (iOS and Android )

Probably the most excited i've been for a Pokemon game in years.

What is it? Is it a game or just some limited app?

What is it? Is it a game or just some limited app?

Details from Gaf.

Mobile 'real life' Pokémon collecting, battling and trading.

A collaboration between Niantic, Nintendo and The Pokemon Company.

Masuda involved in game design and music.

Iwata was originally involved in the project's start, Pokemon Snap was an inspiration.

It seems like it is based off of Niantic's mobile game Ingress which is an augmented reality MMO that you play in real life locations.

Optional accessory called Pokemon GO Plus, a Bluetooth enabled wristband that lights up or vibrates for notifications in Pokemon GO.

EDIT:

The game is free to start and has in app purchases.
Edited by Hero-of-Time

Details from Gaf.

So not much to worry about for the dedicated handheld games.

The way people were speculating beforehand they were acting as if a fully fledged game was going to ios.

No doubt due to the apple conference.

The game is free to start and has in app purchases

That will he hacked on Android within days.

It's not a fully-fledged game, but it's not far off. Other than the story (which let's face it, few people will really miss), in-game items (as far as we're aware but they could be the IAPs) and all the extra gubbins (dancing, ribbons, face painting or whatever they're including now) what else is missing?

Genuine question though as it's been a while since I played one.

Obviously the experience will be different, but the game itself seems pretty close all things considered.

It's not a fully-fledged game, but it's not far off. Other than the story (which let's face it, few people will really miss), in-game items (as far as we're aware but they could be the IAPs) and all the extra gubbins (dancing, ribbons, face painting or whatever they're including now) what else is missing?

Genuine question though as it's been a while since I played one.

Obviously the experience will be different, but the game itself seems pretty close all things considered.

Err... You just catch Pokemon, trade and battle them with other people... That's it. Pokemon Stadium has more links to the mainline games than this does.

There's nothing else from the mainline games in there. There's no world to explore (well, except the real one :p ) and nothing to interact with.

It's no threat to the mainline game. Actually seems like a pretty neat idea. I can see it complimenting it quite well - go to certain real-life location, catch special Pokemon, transfer it to Pokemon Bank and use it in the proper mainline game.

Nice to see the Pokewalker make its triumphant return once again too! That thing is rad as hell!

Edited by Dcubed

There is no way the game is going to live up to that trailer hype.

Also quality Gen 1 pandering that would make X/Y blush. Clearly aiming at those who lost interest in Pokemon ages ago.

It's a genius idea, but I seriously don't like the way Pokemon Company seem to be going. It's worrying.

Err... You just catch Pokemon, trade and battle them with other people... That's it. Pokemon Stadium has more links to the mainline games than this does.

But those are also the best parts of the Pokémon games....

Technically this isn't a part of the DeNA deal

I never said it was. :heh:

The announcement is in this thread because this is where we are talking about Nintendo games on smartphones, no matter what the deals are.

Plus, if a topic had to be created for it, it would need to go in the general gaming section and figured the news would get more exposure in here.

Speak for yourself, I don't like battling other people one bit, I prefer battling CPU trainers in the Battle Tower, etc.

It's boring when everyone uses the same Pokemon all the time. So I don't bother online.

Still makes me uneasy, this direction TPC are going.

I did speak for myself. (But I don't battle online as well due to the same reasons as you.)

But I do think that this is quite exciting and look forward to seeing more of it!

Yeah likewise. That's what I play the game for. I don't care about youngster Joey's Rattatas.

Technically this isn't a part of the DeNA deal

Great contribution there..

Interesting to see that it might use augmented reality. Didn't Nintendo try that with the 3DS at launch before abandoning the concept?

Interesting to see that it might use augmented reality. Didn't Nintendo try that with the 3DS at launch before abandoning the concept?

Because this was my reaction to the announcement :p

COha3L5XAAAUim9.jpg

There is a Pokemon augmented reality game, Pokémon Dream Radar. This sounds extremely similar.

Nice enough if you already have a smart-phone, but it's not something I'd be buying one specifically for, then again it doesn't seem to be aimed at me in that case.

I'm with @Glen\-i on this one...

There is no way the game is going to live up to that trailer hype.

Also quality Gen 1 pandering that would make X/Y blush. Clearly aiming at those who lost interest in Pokemon ages ago.

It's a genius idea, but I seriously don't like the way Pokemon Company seem to be going. It's worrying.

The trailer was clearly ridiculous, especially how you had people on the trailer who don't look like they'd ever consider playing a Pokémon game in their life and now suddenly are all "Hey! Let's all hook up and play Pokémon because it's on phones and is suddenly the coolest thing ever!" Yeah... not buying it at all. :heh:

I've always liked Pokémon but seeing something that unrealistic in the trailer is just laughable even if it is a commendable "dream" of sorts. :indeed:

Those Gen 1 Pokémon though. :awesome:

So yes, it's a nice concept, probably not for me but it'll be interesting to see how this plays out.

Nice enough if you already have a smart-phone, but it's not something I'd be buying one specifically for, then again it doesn't seem to be aimed at me in that case.

I'm with @Glen\-i on this one...

The trailer was clearly ridiculous, especially how you had people on the trailer who don't look like they'd ever consider playing a Pokémon game in their life and now suddenly are all "Hey! Let's all hook up and play Pokémon because it's on phones and is suddenly the coolest thing ever!" Yeah... not buying it at all. :heh:

I've always liked Pokémon but seeing something that unrealistic in the trailer is just laughable even if it is a commendable "dream" of sorts. :indeed:

Those Gen 1 Pokémon though. :awesome:

So yes, it's a nice concept, probably not for me but it'll be interesting to see how this plays out.

In fairness I imagine they very purposefully didn't include any under-18s in the trailer due to the IAPs.

Because this was my reaction to the announcement :p

COha3L5XAAAUim9.jpg

Y U SO MISERABLE!?

Edited by Ashley

In fairness I imagine they very purposefully didn't include any under-18s in the trailer due to the IAPs.

That is a good point which I hadn't even considered but still, it's such an unrealistic scenario, I get that's the whole point of these promotional concept videos but it still doesn't make it any less amusing. :p

Y U SO MISERABLE!?

S.C.G used Sunny Day!

It's not very effective. ;)

Edited by S.C.G

Well colour me intrigued...! Looks like a very tempting concept, though it'll depend on the execution for me. Given it's freemium looking I'll no doubt check it out at least though.

I'm going to try and help sorting out meets for this across the UK and US where possible