NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Pikmin 4 In Development

From Eurogamer

Pikmin 4 is in development and "very close to completion", Nintendo's Shigeru Miyamoto has exclusively confirmed to Eurogamer.

Speaking during an interview held back in July, Nintendo's top designer revealed that work on a fourth major Pikmin game was well underway.

"It's actually very close to completion," Miyamoto said. "Pikmin teams are always working on the next one."

Nintendo then confirmed the news to Eurogamer in a separate statement:

"We can confirm that Pikmin 4 is in development but that is all we can confirm at present."

The last title in the garden strategy series, Pikmin 3, launched for Wii U back in 2013.

Miyamoto did not specify the platform that Pikmin 4 would launch on, but word that the game is close to completion suggests a launch is possible on the company's current hardware.

Nintendo's next platform, the mysterious NX console, is currently in development but is not due to be detailed until some point in 2016. There's no word yet on if it will also launch next year too.

A mix of time-management and strategy tactics, Nintendo's Pikmin series sees you lead an army of tiny creatures as you attempt to survive on a mysterious planet.

The original Pikmin and its sequel released three years apart, both for GameCube. Fans then had to endure a long nine year wait for Pikmin 3.

During that wait, Nintendo re-released the two original titles for Wii with added motion controls. Series hero Captain Olimar also joined the all-star cast of Super Smash Bros. Brawl, and later reappeared in Smash Bros. for 3DS and Wii U.

The first Pikmin game saw you race against time to repair your spaceship. Its sequel strengthened the formula by adding procedurally-generated dungeon caves and fresh Pikmin species.

Pikmin 3 landed somewhere nearer the first in terms of its gameplay, although now with stylish HD visuals. However, some criticised how older Pikmin types had been side-lined.

If there's one thing I hope about this one, it's that you don't have to switch between "leaders". Although I quite like the series, dividing time between different leaders somewhat detracted from the 2nd and 3rd games for me.

Great news, Pikmin 3 was fantastic! I also really enjoyed switching between the leaders. Was very easy and made for some nice puzzle solving. It was also stressful (in a good way) wondering what was happening to the others while you were focused on one.

Pikmin 3 has been one of my favourite Wii U games to date. It had such brilliant pacing, gorgeous visuals and really engrossing gameplay. I believe it's been stated before that it started life as a Wii title so it'll be interesting to see how Nintendo alter Pikmin 4 if it's built for Wii U from the ground up.

Praying it's not a 3DS title...

I still need to fully finish Pikmin 3, great game to just dip into

I'm guessing NX or 3DS, its too soon for another WiiU version/too late in its life

Pikmin 3 was the only Pikmin game I actually enjoyed.

1 was too urgent for my liking. (I'm talking in terms of the time limit)

2 gave way too much freedom. It just felt a bit overwhelming.

3 struck a nice balance between the two, so I'll be watching this one cautiously...

Haven't finished Pikmin 3 yet.

My guess is it'll come out for the NX. That would indicate Nintendo are trying to give the console a better launch lineup than the Wii U.

IMO, it's the last thing the Wii U needs right now.

Yeah, Pikmin 2 for me. Superb game but that open endedness got me at one point or another.

I got excited that it was 'near to completion' until I realised it was a Miyamoto 'near to completion'.

Bloody love Pikmin. I really think it's a series that has gotten stronger with each game. Will be thrilled to play the next one on whatever platform.

He did hint that they were working on a 4th Pikmin game some time ago (and the fact that they've been pushing Pikmin 3 pretty hard with post launch updates, demos and the Pikmin short movies was another big hint), but to think it could be coming out so soon is still a surprise!

If we look at the timeline of Pikmin 1-2 on the GCN (2001-2004 vs 2013-2016), it is pretty similar, so it's not crazy to think that another game using the same engine and assets as Pikmin 3 could still come out on the Wii U next year.

Kind of gives the impression that they're not gonna be moving everyone onto the NX so quickly after all. Perhaps the Wii U will end up having a GCN length lifecycle and the NX really will be treated like a DS style "3rd pillar" (again, the timeline seems to match up too - DS came out the same year as Pikmin 2 and then Wii came out 2 years later). After all, there was that comment a few months back about how the NX wasnt going to necessarily replace the Wii U and 3DS right away...

Anyway, I hope that they make more use of the Gamepad's 2nd screen this time. The map/multiple character control was awesome and all, but they can do so much more - especially with that crazy awesome Gamepad + Wiimote & Nunchuck combo that made Pikmin 3 so fantastic! :D

If they bring back the caves from Pikmin 2, perhaps they can do a sort of dual perspective mode where the TV shows above ground and the Gamepad shows the underground! Think of the crazy puzzle possibilities they could do with that!! Especially with multiple characters!! :bouncy:

Edited by Dcubed

The map/multiple character control was awesome and all, but they can do so much more - especially with that crazy awesome Gamepad + Wiimote & Nunchuck combo that made Pikmin 3 so fantastic! :D

I actually felt that trying to make use of the Wii U Gamepad, Wii Remote & Nunchuk over-complicated things as I would have found it more convenient to be able to access the map on the TV screen.

Pikmin 3 is a game I still need to go back and finish but Pikmin 4 feels like a game they may as well hold back for NX as it is unlikely to help sell any more Wii U consoles but will add some nice diversity to the launch of any upcoming system, but it's hard to know what to do at this stage :heh:

I got excited that it was 'near to completion' until I realised it was a Miyamoto 'near to completion'.

Just imagine being his wife!

WQJlV.png

Online Bingo Battle and Missions and I'll be delighted!!

I presume this will be on the wii u - cheaper using the same engine, fill a gap before the launch of the NX. I'd probably prefer it on the NX (presuming it's a more powerful home console), but not too bothered either way. Pikmin looks stunning and is one of my favourite games of the past 5 years

I think this could actually lend weight to the idea that the NX will basically be a "Wii U Turbo", similar to the relationship between Wii and GameCube. Nintendo could take what they've done with Pikmin 3, build on it and have it ready for launch/near launch (I'm not sure they'd be so quick with Pikmin 4 otherwise, let alone announce it).

Just saw this news now - yes!1!! - Comparing 2 with 3, the length and content of 3 felt more like Pikmin 1 in that it was fairly short. So kinda thought 4 wouldn't take too long.

Please let there be online. Would also like to see realtime weather and a 'stay up all night' mode.

<3

My guess is it'll come out for the NX. That would indicate Nintendo are trying to give the console a better launch lineup than the Wii U.

IMO, it's the last thing the Wii U needs right now.

Yeah, would appreciate this game more as a launch or launch window title as 1 was and 3 was meant to be.

Great game to just chill with at the beginning of a consoles life - 1 solidified my love for the GC.

Miyamoto gives an update on Pikmin 4.

After Shigeru Miyamoto confirmed that Pikmin 4 was “close to completion” during E3 2015, fans have been wondering just where and when it may end up. We were fortunate enough to have the chance to speak with Miyamoto during E3 2016, where we asked a medley of questions to the famed game creator. Curious about the lack of information on the latest Pikmin, however, we couldn’t help but inquire about the status of the project.

“Yes, you are right, and we’re working on [Pikmin 4]. So, you know, when we’re in development we have to create a list of priorities and it has been hard to kind of fit that into that list, but we’re hopefully starting to see that on the list now.”

Miyamoto gives an update on Pikmin 4.

After Shigeru Miyamoto confirmed that Pikmin 4 was “close to completion” during E3 2015, fans have been wondering just where and when it may end up. We were fortunate enough to have the chance to speak with Miyamoto during E3 2016, where we asked a medley of questions to the famed game creator. Curious about the lack of information on the latest Pikmin, however, we couldn’t help but inquire about the status of the project.

“Yes, you are right, and we’re working on [Pikmin 4]. So, you know, when we’re in development we have to create a list of priorities and it has been hard to kind of fit that into that list, but we’re hopefully starting to see that on the list now.”

In other words, it was going to be released for Wii U until they decided to port it to the NX...

In other words, it was going to be released for Wii U until they decided to port it to the NX...