NEurope
Jimbob

Golden Joysticks 2015 - Game of the Year

Posting it in here as it covers all (Nintendo, Sony, Microsoft, PC etc). Not to be confused with our Game of the Year awards.

You can vote here for your Game of the Year, courtasy of the Golden Joysticks.

Your link goes to the thank you page.

The Witcher 3 should win everything. :p

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Voted in most games. Had to skip a few like the "personalities" and "Ultimate Game of the Year" as the only one there I like was Kerbal, but isn't really worthy of the title.

Has it really been that bad of a year?

Edit: Wait, was Smash 4 really not in a single category?

Edit: Just check, not a single nomination. Not in Multiplater, not in Hahndheld, not in Family and not even in the Nintendo category.

Edited by Cube

With Witcher 3 and Bloodborne it has easily been one of the best first half of years ever, although perhaps just not to your tastes.

They accept a mailinator email address at the end, fyi.

Voted. Surprised myself by how many votes I gave Life Is Strange.

Cube, pls.

Some of the awesome games that got mentioned on that list:

The Witcher 3

Bloodborne

Alien FUCKING Isolation

Arkham Knight

Dying Light

Dragon Age: Inquisition

Everybody's Gone To The Rapture

Life is Strange

Sunset Overdrive

Invisible Inc

There's more that I can't be arsed to name. A great list of games there.

I gave a looot of my votes to The Witcher 3. By far the best game that I've played this year. That one game alone makes this year a memorable one.

Perhaps I've just been burnt out recently. Most open world games don't really interest me any more. A couple are sequels to games I either didn't like (Witcher) or thought were average (Arkham).

The results are in:

The Full List of Winners

Best original game: Bloodborne

Best storytelling: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

Best visual design: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

Best audio: Ori and the Blind Forest

Best multi-player: GTA Online

Best indie game: Kerbal Space Program

Best family game: Splatoon

Best mobile game: Fallout Shelter

Innovation of the year: First-person mode in GTA 5

Best gaming moment: Bloody Baron quest in The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

Gaming personality: PewDiePie

eSports icon: Counter-Strike GO - Anders Blume

Studio of the year: CD Projekt RED

Best gaming platform: Steam

Best gaming performance: Ashly Burch as Chloe in Life is Strange

Best PlayStation game: Bloodborne

Best Nintendo game: Splatoon

Best PC game: GTA 5

Best Xbox game: Ori and the Blind Forest

Most wanted game: Fallout 4

Ultimate game of the year: Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

Lifetime achievement: Satoru Iwata

Playfire most played: GTA 5

Critics' choice: Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

Breakthrough award: Her Story

The Witcher 3 taking Ultimate Game of the Year was inevitable and is well deserved.

If Undertale came out sooner, I would have been absolutely disgusted at it's absence here.

As it stands, not a single one of these games appeal to me.

Way to make me feel out of touch...

I've not played a single one of those games. Am I out of touch?

No. No... It's the gaming industry that's wrong!

A few years ago, I wouldn't have given Bloodborne or The Witcher 3 the time of day. You could probably include GTA in that bracket, too.

But, you can't argue with quality. There's a reason why these games have great scores, are thought highly of by fans and sell by the millions. The Witcher 3 is now my favourite game of all time, it's superb. I'm glad to see it get the recognition that it deserves.

Bloodborne is brutal and is not everyone's cup of tea. There's something very visceral about it and it would have been my Game of the Year had The Witcher not happened.

Wow... :blank:

I dunno, first person mode being added in later was just nuts and basically made it a whole new game that was a completely different experience to the first time you played it.

Well, was there any other innovation?
I'd say Splatoon was far more innovative, as it essentially reinvents a genre. :hmm:

I dunno, first person mode being added in later was just nuts and basically made it a whole new game that was a completely different experience to the first time you played it.
To be fair (despite having played through and loving GTA V on PS3) I've not played the new version with first person mode. But it still seems weird to me how that could be seen as innovation of the year. ::shrug:

I'd say Splatoon was far more innovative, as it essentially reinvents a genre. :hmm:

I don't see Splatoon's innovation, to be honest.

I also don't see how GTA V's first person mode is an innovation.

Maybe innovation is the wrong term for this award. ::shrug:

Well, was there any other innovation?

Undertale?

Yeah, yeah, I know. It came out after the voting started. But that game is unlike anything I've played before.

Personally, I'm trying to get my head around how Splatoon is classed as a "Family game"

They do realise the most amount of players you can play locally is 2, right? Hardly fun for the whole family...

It's just because it's colourful, huh?

Innovation of the year: First-person mode in GTA 5

I've never played GTA V but is that seriously the best they could come up with for that category? :blank:

Wow... :blank:

I've never played GTA V but is that seriously the best they could come up with for that category? :blank:

Innovation of the Year Nominees

1) 3D head tracking for Nintendo 3DS (Nintendo)

2) Affordable Space Adventures' GamePad cockpit

3) First-person mode in GTA 5 (Rockstar)

4) Destiny's companion app (Activision)

5) FFXV's demo 2.0 fan feedback update (Square)

6) #IDARB (Microsoft)

7) Project Morpheus London Heist Demo (Sony)

Looking at that list, I can't see a more deserving winner. It's not like GTA robbed another nominee of a certain victory. In fairness, the first person mode in GTAV is fucking amazing...

Innovation of the Year Nominees

1) 3D head tracking for Nintendo 3DS (Nintendo)

2) Affordable Space Adventures' GamePad cockpit

3) First-person mode in GTA 5 (Rockstar)

4) Destiny's companion app (Activision)

5) FFXV's demo 2.0 fan feedback update (Square)

6) #IDARB (Microsoft)

7) Project Morpheus London Heist Demo (Sony)

Looking at that list, I can't see a more deserving winner. It's not like GTA robbed another nominee of a certain victory. In fairness, the first person mode in GTAV is fucking amazing...

Like I say, I've never played it but it sounds like such a pathetic selection for innovation of the year (however cool it may be :heh:) It's not like there haven't been other games to let you flip between 1st and 3rd person perspectives so what makes it so innovative in GTA V? That's not a dig.. I'm genuinely curious as I know nothing about it!

Like I say, I've never played it but it sounds like such a pathetic selection for innovation of the year (however cool it may be :heh:) It's not like there haven't been other games to let you flip between 1st and 3rd person perspectives so what makes it so innovative in GTA V? That's not a dig.. I'm genuinely curious as I know nothing about it!

The selection isn't that great. The 1st person viewpoint is a bit of a mindfuck in GTA. You could run down a street, jump into a car, start a police chase and run away on foot in first person. It's hard to describe why it's good, but it just looks fantastic. There's nothing else that's really out there that does the same sort of thing that GTAV does and in the way that it does it. Everything suddenly seems bigger because you understand the size ratios more, since you're now seeing things from the perspective as if you were actually there. If you're being chased and running towards an alleyway, it may seem a long way off because that's how it would be in real life.

Whether it's innovation of the year or not, I don't know. But, it's a bluddy good addition to the series. It's not even the most important category, tbh. I always look at the games that won each system, ultimate game and then things like best audio, best visual, best story, etc.

Let's be honest, it was voted because it was GTA and not because it was innovative. Fallout Shelter is a fairly poor mobile gene but won because it was Fallout.

I'm still baffled at how Smash Bros got zero nominations.

I dont think its a "Lets be honest" situation at all. Rockstar added in something as simple as a change from third to first person and it completely changed the game.