NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Fierce_LiNk

The Chemical Brothers

We don't really have any new threads for music anymore, so I thought I'd make one.

The Chemical Brothers. They're just fantastic. I've been listening to the new album (Born in the Echoes) a lot on Spotify and I think it's an excellent album.

Any other fans out there? I've only really got into them the last few years. I bought Further in Cardiff a few years back and it blew me away almost instantly.

Maybe this is why we don't have many new music threads...

That feel when you see that this thread has a reply, you rub your hands and praise the lord that there's another Chemical Brothers fan and open the thread and see this...

Lyk dis if u cri evrytiem

Seriously, the new album is great. One of the songs just came on the radio and I did a little squeeee.

Well maybe my commenting in it has given it a little boost, and all the rabid Chemical Brothers fans will come out in force now.

Well maybe my commenting in it has given it a little boost, and all the rabid Chemical Brothers fans will come out in force now.

Yup. I'll just wait here for them all to arrive. :)

:'(

I'm a casual fan of them. Meaning I enjoy their songs but have never listened to an album of theirs.

Really like Go which is being played on the radio a lot at the moment. Catchy stuff.

I really enjoyed their 90s stuff, specifically Dig Your Own Hole and Exit Planet Dust. Is the new album more along the lines of the earlier, syncopated psychedelia or their later stuff which is less repeating progressions of electronic riffs and more ambient?

I'd find out myself but internet where I am is shiiiiit.

Maybe you start a thread on, I dunno, Tegan and Sara or something..

Like Mr-Paul, I'm a casual fan. It all started with the video of Setting sun for me. I do have Dig up your own hole on vinyl.. It contains my favourite track, Electrobank. The video for it had Sofia Coppola in it.. I also have the vinyl singles for Star guitar and Electronic battle weapon 7 (And an "advanced Dutch" lesson for you: the last one is what I call "tering herrie" (the good kind)).

I'm also hearing Go on the radio.. I like it overall, but I'm not overly fond of Q-Tip's voice and rapping.. Would prefer a dub.

Oh and I have Get yourself high on vinyl.. But I bought that one for the Switch remix.. Another example of "tering herrie".

Would love to see them live once though.

I'm with the others on the casual front - have always generally loved their songs but never really actively listened to an album. Recall that I used to absolutely love Hey Boy, Hey Girl waaaay back in the day.

I'm more than partial to Galvanise myself.

I went through quite a love hate with that song. Seemed to be on what's now 4music+viva and radio all the time that I grew to a point of being sick of it, despite actually originally loving it(and the video given I probably saw it a bajillion times) - so now when I hear it I still absolutely do love it, but there's a weird undertone of me thinking aren't I supposed to hate this or something?

My life's hard bro.

I really enjoyed their 90s stuff, specifically Dig Your Own Hole and Exit Planet Dust. Is the new album more along the lines of the earlier, syncopated psychedelia or their later stuff which is less repeating progressions of electronic riffs and more ambient?

I'd find out myself but internet where I am is shiiiiit.

Ambient is probably a very good way of describing the previous album Further. Ish. I say that because there were still moments of pure rockiness on there, too.

The new album is more electronica/house than the previous album. I'm asking @Eenuh for her opinion because it's a tricky one to nail down. It's not really psychedelic at all. It's upbeat, I think house is the way to describe it. Something that you can nod your head to or you'd have playing at a house party.

Wide Open is probably the most ambient track off the album and one of my favourites. It wouldn't be out of place on the previous record. It features Beck on vocals and is the final song on the album, which is a nice serene way to end it. Wouldn't you know it, I can't find a youtube link for it. Spotify is your friend. Here's a link to it on Daily Motion: Here

This is a cracker and is the opening song off the album-

I'll See You There is quite psychedelic actually. A bit Setting Sun-esque.

@Eenuh is quite a big fan of EML Ritual:

There's a good amount of variety on the album and it's just a top tier piece of music, imo. I fell in love with Further and thought it would be very hard to beat that. I believe that the album was designed with almost being like one continuous track in mind, a bit of a concept album I guess, but it came off really well. The more I listen to this, the more I think it's a better album.

Go is the song that's been getting a lot of air time. Probably for a good reason as it's a such a good tune.

I thought I'd check out the album, but hadn't expected it to be quite so good. It's actually Spotify music for Rocket League, too. :D

Edited by Fierce_LiNk

Just listened to Wide Open and Go, and it's pretty alright. Wide Open is super subdued compared to classics like Block Rockin Beats etc, but Go - that chorus is euphoric. Seems like the bros have managed to learn some new tricks from HudMo and Clark, but I don't think they're ever going to top their Wipeout years

Sign in to follow this