NEurope
S.C.G

Rare Replay

Rare_Replay.png

Announced at E3 2015 during Microsoft's press conference and officially released on August 4th 2015, Rare Replay is a collection of 30 games from the developer's long history all available on a single disc, exclusively for Xbox One.

"To celebrate its 30th anniversary, Rare brings together the adventures of its iconic characters in a collection of 30 games that span the decades. From its earliest 2D classics to Xbox 360 triumphs, Rare Replay delivers a gaming treasure trove for veteran players and newcomers alike."

2890127-rare_replay_key_art.jpg

e9721d7c-301c-4411-a945-3d9f36be1664.png

I just got my copy in the post today - thanks ShopTo! - so I'll be playing this weekend for certain, who else is buying this collection and if so...

...what will you be playing first?

Knight Lore for me!

: peace:

Mine arrived this morning. Of course I preordered it straight after E3 and then intended to pick up a One later. Yeah, that didn't happen and I forgot I still had the game preordered. :D

Rare have said they are working on a patch for JFG to make it dual analog controls. This is exactly what I wanted for the game.

Rare have said they are working on a patch for JFG to make it dual analog controls. This is exactly what I wanted for the game.

I think they already did as part of day one patch.

My copy not here yet. Was sent out Thursday morning but then sat in depot since Thursday afternoon according to the tracking. Sat in postal depot and it's a bank holiday on Monday so not holding out hope I'll get it before launch.

Worth the wait though as due to Amazon's deals at E3 I only paid $26.99 (just 13 quid!)

Edited by flameboy

I think they already did as part of day one patch.

My copy not here yet. Was sent out Thursday morning but then sat in depot since Thursday afternoon according to the tracking. Sat in postal depot and it's a bank holiday on Monday so not holding out hope I'll get it before launch.

Worth the wait though as due to Amazon's deals at E3 I only paid $26.99 (just 13 quid!)

Nah, it's not part of the day one patch. They've said it's still being worked on. Still, I'm happy it's on its way.

I've spent the best part of the day trying to keep myself busy, so I don't go out and buy a Xbox. :D It's only a matter of time though, especially with Gears arriving this month.

I've just started installing the game, the moment you insert the disc and attempt to load it, you get ten items added to the queue which is the collection itself and the following titles which were already released as Xbox 360 games...

Banjo-Kazooie

Banjo-Tooie

Banjo-Kazooie Nuts & Bolts

Jetpac Refueled

Kameo Elements of Power

Perfect Dark

Perfect Dark Zero

Viva Pinata

Viva Pinata Trouble in Paradise

This makes sense seeing as Microsoft are now going to be making Xbox 360 games playable on the Xbox One, these all appear as if they are separate games so perhaps it just means that if you own Rare Replay then you get to play these games again earlier than they will made available to play from the original discs but perhaps you need the disc to launch them all, this would make sense as otherwise you could just lend someone the game and they could just get all of the above titles for free.

It makes me wonder though, being that 10,000 gamerscore is advertised, if the achievements for all of the aforementioned titles remain the same then that would account for 5800 of the achievements assuming that each of the retail titles comes to 1000 each with the XBLA titles amounting to 200 a piece.

Perhaps it's all different though, in any case it's all installing at the moment with the XBLA titles taking around a minute to install with the retail titles being larger but still only taking around 5 minutes per game plus the Rare Replay disc only taking minutes as well; for the whole thing to be installed within half an hour is rather impressive considering the amount of content. :)

According to my hard drive on the console I did have around 199GB left while I'm now down to 172GB - at the moment - so that seems to suggest that the whole package is a fair few GB, I've yet to see how it's all put together and how the games play but so far this seems to represent excellent value for money, especially for anyone who managed to nab it for little over £15 by pre-ordering early.

Will report back when I've played a few titles. : peace:

God I want this game so badly :(

Trade your PS4 in for a Xbox. You don't really care for the console and have expressed a few times that you prefer the Xbox exclusives.

@S\.C\.G In terms of the achievements, all the 360 games use the original achievements, so if you unlocked on the 360 games then you already have them. No new achievements for you. The achievement community kicked off over it as they were expecting to be able to add to their scores.

This would be the one game i'd probably bite and purchase an Xbox One for.

Gamespot gave this an 8/10.

Their negatives are very odd indeed;

Game selection is skewed towards fulfilling a timeline, rather than a collection of Rare's best work

Other than games ruled out by rights issues what other games are missing? There are their GBA games? Conker's Pocket Tales, Banjo Pilot, It's Mr Underpants? There are other Spectrum games that literally no one remembers...I don't get it.

Gamespot gave this an 8/10.

Their negatives are very odd indeed;

Other than games ruled out by rights issues what other games are missing? There are their GBA games? Conker's Pocket Tales, Banjo Pilot, It's Mr Underpants? There are other Spectrum games that literally no one remembers...I don't get it.

Goldeneye?

Trade your PS4 in for a Xbox. You don't really care for the console and have expressed a few times that you prefer the Xbox exclusives.

This.

Goldeneye?

But that's ruled out by rights issues. They need the OK from Activision and Nintendo to release it.

But that's ruled out by rights issues. They need the OK from Activision and Nintendo to release it.

So? It's still (arguably) Rare's greatest ever game. It's the first game I looked for when this collection was announced.

So? It's still (arguably) Rare's greatest ever game. It's the first game I looked for when this collection was announced.

I was just pointing it out as the post you quoted said "Other than games ruled out by rights issues"

I was just pointing it out as the post you quoted said "Other than games ruled out by rights issues"

Ah, fair enough, didn't actually spot that bit.

Still, I can't take a Rare collection seriously without Goldeneye.

Ah, fair enough, didn't actually spot that bit.

Still, I can't take a Rare collection seriously without Goldeneye.

@Cube pretty much summed up what I meant. I'd agree Goldeneye the Donkey Kong Country games and Diddy Kong Racing are the stand out probably. DK was never gonna appear as he is a still a growing concern as a franchise for Nintendo. Goldeneye is mired in rights issues, the movie rights changed hands since then and the games have been through numerous deals no one was ever going to give Microsoft publishing rights as part of a compilation.

And Diddy Kong Racing.

And Mickey's Speedway USA...

...right?

@flameboy A XBLA version of GoldenEye was in the works as Microsoft, Nintendo and Sony came to a temporary agreement. According to sources at Activision, Nintendo decided to cancel the agreement (likely because the XBLA version would have been much better than the Virtual Console on Wii).

And Mickey's Speedway USA...

...right?

@flameboy A XBLA version of GoldenEye was in the works as Microsoft, Nintendo and Sony came to a temporary agreement. According to sources at Activision, Nintendo decided to cancel the agreement (likely because the XBLA version would have been much better than the Virtual Console on Wii).

You know what....Mickey's Speedway USA was actually pretty good as fair as karting games go....Only problem was that one of Scrooge McDuck's nephews Hewey, Dewey or Louiy was way overpowered.

It just hit me yesterday just how shockingly over priced N64 games are on the Wii U. Here we have Jet Force Gemini, Conker, Banjo 1+2, Blast Corps and Perfect Dark, all with a bit of a clean up, for under £20. You then have Nintendo charging £9 a pop for N64 games on the Wii U that look a lot darker than they should. Shocking. :shakehead

@S\.C\.G you managed to get any play time of the collection yet?

Maybe I'm a little strange but I don't really like collections of games. There's something about loads of games on one disc, some of which I wouldn't normally buy, that I'm not fond of. I actually prefer to have these things as separate VC downloads, despite the obvious cost ::shrug:

Maybe just get the digital download of the collection?

Literally the only difference would be a different menu/UX.

Viva Pinata is so good. I'd love to play that again.

Maybe I'm a little strange but I don't really like collections of games. There's something about loads of games on one disc, some of which I wouldn't normally buy, that I'm not fond of. I actually prefer to have these things as separate VC downloads, despite the obvious cost ::shrug:

That's just crazy talk. :p

Putting aside the lack of certain games in this collection, it's still insane value for money. I didn't actually realise the N64 games were that expensive on the VC until @Hero\-of\-Time mentioned it. £9?! That can't be the standard price for an N64 game, surely?