NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Choze

Dragon Quest XI

Yeah @Mandalore, big long RPG's like this benefit from the portability factor of consoles like the Switch a lot.

The lower resolution is very negligible, you wouldn't really be able to tell there's a downgrade unless you look at the two versions side-by-side. It's a very impressive port! The cartoony artstyle helps disguise it very well.

It's also easily in my top 3 Dragon Quests. (Granted, I've not played the first three or 10 yet) You don't see RPG's on this scale very often these days.

Edited by Glen-i
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mandalore said:

Almost finished with Yakuza 7. After all the Dragon Quest references, I'm curious to try a game in the series. Is this a good one to go for if I've never played any before? And am I better off getting it on Switch or PS4/5?

Can't say for sure if this one is the best starting point, although I'd only ever played 1 of the mainline DQ games before playing this and I enjoyed it just fine. :)

As for where to play it, well if portability isn't a big deal for you then I absolutely recommend avoiding the Switch version and getting it on PS4/5. The Switch version is very good, but again, unless you specifically want to play it on the go, then having a crisper image, smoother frame rate and possibly faster load times too (they were lightning fast on PC :cool:) is much nicer.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

It's also easily in my top 3 Dragon Quests. (Granted, I've not played the first three or 10 yet) You don't see RPG's on this scale very often these days.

Ever get around to doing that 3D mode playthrough you were planning?

@Mandalore XI is a brilliant game. As my first DQ and one of my earlier JRPG adventures, it definitely did an excellent job of making me feel nostalgic for a series I had no previous experience with, and also pushed me to actually strategise and come up with sequences I could rely on (Pokémon and Final Fantasy I often found myself brute forcing my way through battles). 

I played the original back on PS4, but as someone who doesn't really use Switch outside of docked mode, like @RedShell I would probably recommend picking up the PlayStation version of portability isn't a factor.

The real and more practical reason to pick it up on PlayStation though - again, if portability isn't a big sell for you - is that the PlayStation version can often be found at a lower price than its Switch counterpart, both digitally (£34.99 on the PlayStation Store vs £49.99 on the Nintendo eShop) and physically (~£20 vs ~£40 at most places). 

Edited by Julius
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, RedShell said:

Ever get around to doing that 3D mode playthrough you were planning?

Funny that you mention that, I'm literally playing it right now.

Spoiler

I just got Sylvando back after the incident.

I was kinda worried that Sylvando would feel awkward in the 3D version (Remember 2D has no voice acting and much more simplified cutscenes, like you'd expect from a SNES style RPG), but the good writing and great voice acting makes him feel like an actual character instead of a stereotype. Kudos all round there.

There's a surprising amount of subtle differences with the mechanics compared to 2D. It really feels like I'm playing some kind of grand remake of DQ 11.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Found the PS4 definitive edition on ShopTo for £16.51, I think I'll get that as I never use my Switch in handheld mode.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Mandalore said:

Found the PS4 definitive edition on ShopTo for £16.51, I think I'll get that as I never use my Switch in handheld mode.

That would've been important information to know.

Even if the price was the same, if you don't use handheld mode, get the PS4 version. Just make sure it is XI S. The soundtrack on the original version is not good.

Sign in to follow this