NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Choze

Dragon Quest XI

9 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

The post game in this is really just the final chapter of the game. It's a very strange setup but it does mean you've still got a lot of game left to play. 

Best news I've heard all year :D 

It's taken me 78 hours to "beat" the game so I'm hoping for at least another 40 hours of post-game content. 

Started the post-game content.

Spoiler

Now the scenes with the little dark dude make more sense.

I quite like the twist. Mordegon is dead but now a new threat arose. 

This game, man...this game :D 

• Like 1

How did you find the boss

Spoiler

Dora the Explorer Grey, she quite a bit more tougher with Tougher Enemies on as she attacks 3 times per round instead of 2.

34 minutes ago, Ike said:

How did you find the boss

Boss (Hide contents)

Dora the Explorer Grey, she quite a bit more tougher with Tougher Enemies on as she attacks 3 times per round instead of 2.

Not too too bad. There were much more difficult bosses.

7 minutes ago, drahkon said:

Not too too bad. There were much more difficult bosses.

Seen a few people struggle with that boss, it's pretty easy when you know how to shut it down.

On 12/28/2018 at 4:01 PM, Ike said:

Seen a few people struggle with that boss, it's pretty easy when you know how to shut it down.

Indeed. That's actually how you beat most of the bosses in Hard Mode. Brute forcing them is almost never the right choice. Understand the bosses' movesets and reacting/preparing for them is key.

Anyway, post-game is kicking my ass :D Fought 3 bosses so far and they wrecked my shit. Even with buffs and debuffs it's almost impossible for me to keep up with healing. Guess I do have to use the EXP farming method. 

Started playing this yesterday.

First off, gorgeous game.

I feel like I'm not quite sure what I should be doing battle-wise though. Still very early on in the game and I've just got my horse but as you can't attack from the horse I just don't know if I should be getting off every few feet to go attack monsters or blaze past them on my way to the city. Giving you the horse this early just seems weird to me.

Been playing the heck out of this the past week or so. Absolutely love it - an RPG player's dream. I like how well constructed Dragon Quest games are - there's just no bloat. Damage and HP numbers are low and equipment and items you get (and exploration) is meaningful. Extraordinary game.

The only thing I would really improve is the soundtrack - an absolute step down from DQVIII, which was fully orchestrated. Can't really understand this one given a lot of the tracks are the same as those featured in DQVIII (and the games before it), just they're in some sort of low-fi MIDI format this time. DQVIII had an astonishing, fully orchestrated soundtrack.

My parting gift for this post:

stump_chump.jpg

"Stump Chump"

What a guy.

Edited by Sheikah
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Today marks the end of my journey.

Spoiler

y4m3lURyWmpcEeMFYr12bCR2y-qtKI4ExeQcNdtT

"Platinum'd" the game (playing on Steam so it's not really a Platinum). Tougher monsters and less EXP from weaker monsters. Probably should have turned on no running since I don't anyway.

Spoiler

Calasmos was a bit anti-climatic - he went down to poison damage. :laughing:

Tried a run without weakening him and almost beat him, got him to the point where he stops time for all but 1 character but he ended up wiping the party. The run where I beat him, I only weakened him during the second half.

Was sort of expecting him to turn into Estark since they have similar designs.

The ending was perfect, and also gave me a new desktop background. :heh: I needed a cup of tea and left it on the menu to reflect on it though. 

Feeling a bit empty and lost now it's over. I'm a little burnt out, but it's giving me motivation to finally try and play through the whole of

Spoiler

Dragon Quest III

once I've played some other stuff I think.

• Like 2

I felt the same finishing it. It was such a special game and easily one of the best games this generation has produced.

Recently I've also been thinking about playing through some of the older DQ games. I was tempted to play through IV, V and VI on the DS. I loved IV and V and haven't played them since I completed them when they were first released. I never did get around to playing VI and that's been sat on my shelf all of these years waiting to be played.

I think it's knocked DQVIII of the top of my list but both are equally great in their own right.

I've been wanting to replay at least DQIV and DQV for a while as well since I've also not played them since the DS releases.

I rebought this on Steam during the sale and am enjoying it a lot more now I've given myself the chance to get into it. Only just got my first party member though so not that far in.

I was tempted by the Switch version for the extra content and 2D mode but the cheaper price and higher frame rate of the PC version won me over.

On 12/07/2020 at 1:45 PM, Happenstance said:

I rebought this on Steam during the sale and am enjoying it a lot more now I've given myself the chance to get into it. Only just got my first party member though so not that far in.

Absolutely loved DQXI, hope you enjoy it! 

I was tempted by the Switch version for the extra content and 2D mode but the cheaper price and higher frame rate of the PC version won me over.

Having played it on the PS4 not too long after its western launch, if I were ever to play through it again, I'd have to pick up the Switch version. It's still weird that PS4 players were basically penalised for supporting the game, I hope it's handled a bit better by Square Enix moving forwards with the series, but I'm not all that confident that they will. 

Demo for Dragon Quest XI S is out on consoles.

Edit: Played it for a few minutes and I gotta say: The downgrade isn't as bad as I expected. Especially given how people were saying that the Switch version looks like ass.
It all comes down to one thing: The art style is so good, that it looks beautiful even with a little downgrade.

Man, Dragon Quest just has that certain charm that in my opinion hasn't been matched, yet. I'm gonna buy the game, aren't I? :laughing: 

Edited by drahkon

Well this seems as good a place as any to mention Yuji Horii teasing the plans for Dragon Quest in 2021, with the franchise turning 35 years old! From Gematsu:

2021 will mark the 35th anniversary of the Dragon Quest series in Japan, and creator Yuji Horii has said to expect various announcements in celebration.

During his closing remarks at Dragon Quest X Fall Festival 2020 on October 30, Horii said, “Thank you very much for today. Next year, Dragon Quest will celebrate its 35th anniversary. I believe we will be able to make all sorts of announcements in regards to that. And there is still a whole lot of fun to look forward to in Astoltia [the world of Dragon Quest X]. Please continue to support Dragon Quest in the future. Thank you very much!”

An update on the new Dragon Quest Monsters? Ports/remakes of the older games? And, I mean, it's reasonable to expect to see XII next year, right? XI released in 2016 in Japan if I'm remembering right, so 5 years on just learning about XII seems about right (surely?), and while I know that a lot of effort was poured into the localisation for us in the west, I would even imagine that XI S didn't require the full team to return. Should be interesting to see how it all shakes out!

1 hour ago, drahkon said:

Demo for Dragon Quest XI S is out on consoles.

Edit: Played it for a few minutes and I gotta say: The downgrade isn't as bad as I expected. Especially given how people were saying that the Switch version looks like ass.
It all comes down to one thing: The art style is so good, that it looks beautiful even with a little downgrade.

Man, Dragon Quest just has that certain charm that in my opinion hasn't been matched, yet. I'm gonna buy the game, aren't I? :laughing: 

Yeah, Dragon Quest XI was one of my favourite games of the generation hands down, and honestly I'm sure would be one of my favourites if I were to make a Top 10 of my all-time favourites. Charm is definitely what the series has, and it has it in spadefuls! Only thing in my mind which comes close to that charm, that's actually popular in the west, would be the earliest Pokémon games.

And that petered out over the years... :blank:

The thing that sucks is how the series is handled by Square Enix in the west. Sent out to die in 2018 releasing a few days before Spider-Man if I'm remembering right, the whole ordeal with S (and the lack of an upgrade?) meaning that those who supported the game from its launch in the west ended up with an inferior version, and so on. 

Edited by Julius

It came out in 2017 in Japan, but it's been 3 years already? Doesn't feel like it.

12 minutes ago, Julius said:

The thing that sucks is how the series is handled by Square Enix in the west. Sent out to die in 2018 releasing a few days before Spider-Man if I'm remembering right, the whole ordeal with S (and the lack of an upgrade?) meaning that those who supported the game from its launch in the west ended up with an interior version, and so on. 

It was published by Nintendo in the west, so not sure SE are to blame for that.

The only reason why DQ11s even exists is because Nintendo paid for it.

Be grateful that you get to scrounge Nintendo's funded game on your console of choice now.

49 minutes ago, Julius said:

the world of Dragon Quest X

They should release this one over here, for crying out loud :nono: 

And they should remake Dragon Quest Monsters.

And they should remake every Dragon Quest game ever made.

And they should do it NOW.

• Like 1

Just now, drahkon said:

They should release this one over here, for crying out loud :nono: 

Yup. That one still hurts. It looked so good. :( 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

41 minutes ago, Ike said:

It came out in 2017 in Japan, but it's been 3 years already? Doesn't feel like it.

My mistake! Still, it's flown by, and I wouldn't be too surprised if we heard about or saw XII next year. Though I guess, everything is subject to change at the moment! 

It was published by Nintendo in the west, so not sure SE are to blame for that.

Going to assume you're referring to my mention of S specifically.

Sure, S was published by Nintendo, but then the point remains that Square Enix published what they would have known at launch in 2018 to not be a fully featured version of the game when compared with S.

Considering just how early XI was announced as coming to the Switch (one of the first titles, if not the first, announced for NX, right?), it certainly gives the impression that Square Enix held things back for S, probably even before the time of the launch of the PS4 version in Japan in 2017. 

29 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

The only reason why DQ11s even exists is because Nintendo paid for it.

Be grateful that you get to scrounge Nintendo's funded game on your console of choice now.

Sure, not denying that first part. What I'm saying is that Square Enix knowingly omitted additional features and elements from the version which was available first, that's what comes off as scummy to me. 

I don't know why I have to scrounge, and I mean console of choice is a lot to take from what I said, considering that that was the only version available in the west for a year :p I loved the game and put over 100 hours into it, and I'm glad that those who played XI S enjoyed it too. 

What I'm saying is that this isn't like Persona 5 Royal, for example, where there was what, 3 years between the western release of that and the original? And where it clearly hadn't been developed in parallel, and didn't seem like the developer had omitted things to cash in on them down the line. 

I don't know, I just don't think you'd be arguing the same thing if the roles were reversed and a version was released on the Switch, only for a superior version (bar graphical fidelity?) to release a year later exclusively on PlayStation or Xbox. It sucks as a consumer who was trying a franchise for the first time, and supporting one which historically doesn't do well in the west. 

It's simply not a Nintendo vs PlayStation thing. I think it's awesome that people have loved XI S on the Switch, I'm just saying that there not being an upgrade path kind of sucks now that XI S is coming to other platforms a year later, especially for those who played what turned out to be an inferior version (again, bar graphics) during its initial launch in the west (for a franchise which traditionally doesn't perform well over here) two years ago? It doesn't seem that unreasonable to me, and heck, I still think Atlus should've done the same thing for Persona 5 Royal. But it is what it is, and I would say the same thing if it were the other way around :smile:

Edited by Julius
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Julius said:

Going to assume you're referring to my mention of S specifically.

Yeah I was, but maybe I mixed up when the 2 versions released.

Regarding the no upgrade path, remember the Switch version was re-written from the ground up which means that they would have had to back port the new content back to the original engine.

Just now, Ike said:

Regarding the no upgrade path, remember the Switch version was re-written from the ground up which means that they would have had to back port the new content back to the original engine.

Yeah, I remember, and that's true and a great point about it needing to be ported back to the original engine. 

Again, it's nothing against the DQ team. To me, it just feels like Square Enix as publishers are hellbent on milking it. I know it's the same for a lot of publishers, but it's especially odd in this case I feel, just considering how the series doesn't typically fare too well in the west. Maybe I'm remembering wrong, but didn't XI S perform surprisingly poorly in Japan? 

This is all to say: I just hope we don't see a repeat of this all with XII, and they are both released on the same date with versions being at parity as much as they can be when it comes to features and story (the main differences I imagine are inevitably are going to be revolving around resolution and frame rate). 

Just a quick reminder that the branches of S-E responsible for Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest are very different, and that includes publishing. The practices of one won't necessarily reflect on the other.

39 minutes ago, drahkon said:

And they should remake every Dragon Quest game ever made.

They kinda did. Dragon Quest is unique in this regard, because every re-release adds something on top of what came before, and Enix seems adamant to do this for every entry. Rarely do they ever cut content outright, and they have remade the first 6 games before, more than once. Look at this list, and you'll see each game has been remade or updated quite a few times (amusingly, reading that list shows they have also already remade Dragon Quest Monsters for the 3DS. Didn't know that before I clicked)

The issue is that these versions don't necessarily come to the west. That's the painful part.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The base version of Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age is no longer available for purchase across digital PlayStation storefronts following this week's release of the special edition. The same goes for the PC version over on Steam, where the listing now states: "This version of DRAGON QUEST XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age - Digital Edition of Light is no longer available. Please see the new DRAGON QUEST XI S: Echoes of an Elusive Age - Definitive Edition." This has happened at the request of the publisher — Square Enix in this case — and so we can assume the situation is the same for the base PS4 version.

Welcome to the digital future!

It's a bit harsh to get rid of this version. Sure, there's extra content in the new version but the visuals are better in the original.

9 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Welcome to the digital future!

It's a bit harsh to get rid of this version. Sure, there's extra content in the new version but the visuals are better in the original.

To be fair, how is this any different from a publisher stopping printing a physical game disc? I still have access to my old version of Dragon Quest XI on Steam if I want to reinstall it.

Sign in to follow this