NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Choze

Dragon Quest XI

The Western release was confirmed last week but there was still a question as to which versions would arrive over here. The PS4 version has now been confirmed.

Edited by Hero-of-Time
  • Like 4

Good shiz. Feels like an age since I tucked into DQ8, I think I'm just about ready to take on another RPG of that magnitude and length again. :heh:

I've never played a DQ game but this looks good.

I do have both VII and VIII in their wrappers though. I ought to have a go at them. 

Release date! 

Apparently the Switch version will be released much later down the line.

In addition to delivering over 100 hours of content, the Western release of DRAGON QUEST XI will also feature several upgrades and enhancements that were not included in the Japanese release, including:

• English Voiceover
  • Draconian Quest, a hard mode that offers additional challenges for more experienced players.
  • Overhauled Menus & UI, with graphical enhancements and more intuitive navigation.
  • Camera Mode, allowing players to take in views of the beautiful landscape, character renders and ferocious monsters in detail.
  • A New Dash Function and many other system enhancements such as improved character and camera movement

Edited by Hero-of-Time
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Oh, Draconian Drahkonian Quest. Nice.

Can't wait for this. My most anticipated game right now.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Release date! 

Apparently the Switch version will be released much later down the line.

The second half of this year is filling up in the best of ways. Heck yeah. 

Also, first gameplay video of the Western version (featuring our first listen to the English VO, which sounds pretty good judging from this): 

Edited by Julius Caesar
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

カミュ/Camus to Erik is an... Interesting localisation choice. Not sure he suits Erik. :laughing:

Voice acting sounds good so far.

Gorgeous. 

And was it just me or did Eleven always seem to do 11 damage? 

9 hours ago, Nolan said:

And was it just me or did Eleven always seem to do 11 damage? 

Eleven, 11 damage, Dragon Quest XI (11).

The number 11 three times...3...Half Life 3 confirmed.

YES, I DID IT.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, drahkon said:

Eleven, 11 damage, Dragon Quest XI (11).

The number 11 three times...3...Half Life 3 confirmed.

YES, I DID IT.

Half-Life 3xDragon Quest XIxStranger Things. Gordon Freeman travels to Alfgard (I don’t think that’s correct....) to rescue the kids. He teams up with Papa Steve to defeat the demogorgon. 

You can get 25% off the Steam version from Greenman Gaming making it £29.99.

Looks fantastic, like the first time there's been a true successor to VIII.

The Access PlayStation guys also put out a vid.

I've seen a few people complain that the battle system is still turn-based. As it should be! There are many other gaming options for those wanting an action based battle system and it's good to see DQ once again sticking to the classic JRPG roots. Can't wait.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I've seen a few people complain that the battle system is still turn-based. As it should be! There are many other gaming options for those wanting an action based battle system and it's good to see DQ once again sticking to the classic JRPG roots. Can't wait.

Yeah, this has me a bit confused, actually.

Granted, I’ve got a whole lot of Dragon Quest that I want to play through before playing this game, but, as someone who loves JRPGs conceptually (a focus on story, character, and simple to get to grips with but hard to master techniques) and is going to dive head first into the genre this summer, I find myself drawn to much more classically designed JRPGs, because they seem like an excellent gateway into the genre. 

Maybe I’m wrong, but I can’t imagine starting with a modernised, action-oriented take on the JRPG formula - such as Final Fantasy XV -  and finding it easy to revert back to older, more classically designed games, such as the pre-X Final Fantasy games, the majority of the Dragon Quest games, or Chrono Trigger, based on what I’ve read/seen/played of those games. 

It’s probably the same people who want Pokémon to change its battle mechanics, but the simplicity of the age-old mechanics for new fans - and a thoroughly ingrained understanding of it for longtime fans - is part of what makes it so easy for the franchise to come across as so charming. 

• Thanks 1

That gameplay trailer is all kinds of amazing. Does indeed feel like a proper sequel to VIII, I'm kinda glad that Japanese developers are putting their big franchises back into the big consoles (e.g. same for Monster Hunter World, and look how that turned out).

2 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Turn-based combat all the way. It's all I need.
Just hook it to my veins.

Pretty sure @Kav agrees :)

• Haha 2

If I wanted to play a non turn based Dragon Quest I’d go play DQHeroes

Actually I should do that. I never did finish the first one. Point is though, numbered DQ games need to be classic turn based. None of that real time shit or ATB systems.

Only concession I might make could be a FFX style character switching gimmick, but there’s no real need for that, and doing so would remove something from what makes Dragon Quest, Dragon Quest. 

Disclaimer: I’m sleep deprived. 

1 hour ago, Nolan said:

If I wanted to play a non turn based Dragon Quest I’d go play DQHeroes

Actually I should do that. I never did finish the first one. Point is though, numbered DQ games need to be classic turn based. None of that real time shit or ATB systems.

Only concession I might make could be a FFX style character switching gimmick, but there’s no real need for that, and doing so would remove something from what makes Dragon Quest, Dragon Quest. 

Disclaimer: I’m sleep deprived. 

As I recall (and at least with DQVIII), DQ usually has only 4 main characters anyway so no other characters to switch to. That's one of the things I really love actually, no back bench characters that you never switch to because they're underlevelled, or you just don't like them. Every character counts.

Edited by Sheikah

DQVIII’s Hero’s Trodain Bandana and Togs are coming to the game, as well as a recipe book, “Trodain’s Top Trends”. These items will be free for all players.

• Like 2

Dragon Quest XI has been reviewing very well across the board, and currently sits at 88% on Metacritic. The only negative reviews that I’ve read for the game just don’t seem to get that it was trying to be a traditional JRPG in the first place, albeit one with plenty of QoL benefits as stated in other reviews,as opposed to “failing to push the genre forwards”. Because that’s clearly what every game in every genre should do, and does do...riiiiiight? ::shrug:

Also, Kotaku have put up their review for this game, and it’s one of the best video game reviews that I’ve ever seen. It’s a meaty one, but it never seems to drag:

Edited by Julius Caesar
  • Thanks 1

Sign in to follow this