NEurope
Serebii

Dragon Quest XI S: Echoes of an Elusive Age - 26th Sept

Not sure that I agree with any of the criticisms (if you could even call them that?), but I always love a good Dunkey-induced chuckle, especially about games that I love :D 

I took a break from Dragon Quest the last 2 days after Gloomnivore was the first main campaign enemy to wipe my party. Continued and finished AI: The Somnium files instead. Coincidentally and surprisingly enough though.. AI also provided me with a fix for my newly acquired Puff Puff addiction.. Unexpected but much appreciated!

Looks like the game completely bombed on the Switch over in the US. According to the September NPDs, it failed to make the all format top 20 and only managed number 7 in the Switch only chart.

Gotta imagine that a lot of people already had their fill of it on the PS4 last year. On this weeks episode of Frame Trap the EZA guys briefly talked about this and said that it's an amazing game but not one you want to go through again so soon. Brandon even said it was a once in a lifetime thing for him.

Damn shame to see.  That’s probably the end for the series outside Japan then unless the next game is Switch/Switch 2 exclusive (no way will S-E be willing to localise it without Nintendo bankrolling it).

Edited by Dcubed

20 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

Damn shame to see.  That’s probably the end for the series outside Japan then unless the next game is Switch/Switch 2 exclusive (no way will S-E be willing to localise it without Nintendo bankrolling it).

PS4 version did well though, didn't it? Wasn't it the best selling/fastest DQ game in North America when it launched? I think the issue here is that the Switch version is a year late. Had it launched alongside the PS4 version then it would have fared much better.

1 minute ago, Hero-of-Time said:

PS4 version did well though, didn't it? Wasn't it the best selling/fastest DQ game in North America when it launched? I think the issue here is that the Switch version is a year late. Had it launched alongside the PS4 version then it would have fared much better.

No it didn’t.  It failed to crack even 500k-600k in the US/EU according to the sales folks on Reset Era.  That’s around half of what both DQ8 and DQ9 managed, despite being a much more expensive game to make.

The whole “fastest selling” thing was about revenue... no shit it competed with DQ9 on revenue; it’s twice the price!

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

No it didn’t.  It failed to crack even 500k-600k in the US/EU according to the sales folks on Reset Era.  That’s around half of what both DQ8 and DQ9 managed, despite being a much more expensive game to make.

The whole “fastest selling” thing was about revenue... no shit it competed with DQ9 on revenue; it’s twice the price!

Yeah, looking around it appears the number is somewhere in the 600-800k range as of last November. Still, it at least managed to break into the top 20 NPDs last September and given it was up against the behemoth that was Spider-Man, that was quite the achievement.

As for vs DQIX, yeah DQXI was twice the price but made over double the revenue. It's still marked down as the best launch for any DQ game in the West.

I wonder what it is about the series that puts western gamers off? Probably the cartoony look and old type gameplay mechanics.

Edited by Hero-of-Time

17 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I wonder what it is about the series that puts western gamers off?

I sure as hell know what doesn't put me off.

dragon_quest_11_bunny_suit_outfit_costum

• Haha 3
  • Weird 1

3 minutes ago, drahkon said:

I sure as hell know what doesn't put me off.

dragon_quest_11_bunny_suit_outfit_costum

That certainly put people off over on Era. I remember loads of them complaining about it. :D 

• Haha 1
  • Weird 1

I remember loads of them complaining about it. :D 

God forbid, people like to look at women (AND MEN, I'M NOT SEXIST) (be they real or animated) and media presenting them in a suggestive/sexy way. ::shrug: 

Edited by drahkon
  • Like 1

That certainly put people off over on Era. I remember loads of them complaining about it. :D 

So does Reset Era exist solely to complain about everything in gaming? Because it certainly sounds like it from what I've heard.

I can understand rallying against loot boxes, microtransactions, scummy business practices and real, genuine censorship but this? I can't see what the problem is. ::shrug:

If anything, it just sells me more on the game, which I was already sold on and just need to actually start playing it sometime soon because it looks amazing. :D

If I was to complain about anything related to this game, it's just that it didn't sell enough but it's not too surprising due to reasons already outlined.

Still, the Switch has a uder-base of more than 10 Million now and Dragon Quest XI hasn't hit a million in sales? That is a shame because even discounting those who played it on PS4 I would have thought there would still be more room for the game to make more sales, so it might just be the busy time of year, so many games and maybe some Switch owners are hoping to get it as their game at Christmas time?

That's all I've got which I can really say about the game without playing it for myself, I must get on that.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, S.C.G said:

So does Reset Era exist solely to complain about everything in gaming? Because it certainly sounds like it from what I've heard.

I can understand rallying against loot boxes, microtransactions, scummy business practices and real, genuine censorship but this? I can't see what the problem is. ::shrug:

This is pretty much Era...

giphy.gif

Sadly, it's still the best place to get gaming news and read gaming banter.

As much as I love this place, the gaming chatter is very much few and far between these days, so I go there to read ( very rarely post ) the gaming chat. I think @Dcubed posts more over there than he does over here. :p 

• Haha 2

It is a massive shame this game hasn't sold better.  All year I have witnessed how, through good advertising, Nintendo has managed to make Fire Emblem, Mario Maker and Link's Awakening household names, and yet this isn't on as many people's radar.  And no disrespect to Link's Awakening, but it is just a pleasant remake of an old game that takes a few days to complete, whereas Dragon Quest XI is one of the best video game adventures you'd believe is possible to make.  It is an outstanding piece of software.  The only reason I haven't posted about it more is because I'm constantly picking my jaw up off the floor.

45 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I think we know the answer then - make the game more controversial.  Free skimpy bikini DLC for Jade!

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Grazza said:

It is a massive shame this game hasn't sold better.  All year I have witnessed how, through good advertising, Nintendo has managed to make Fire Emblem, Mario Maker and Link's Awakening household names, and yet this isn't on as many people's radar.  And no disrespect to Link's Awakening, but it is just a pleasant remake of an old game that takes a few days to complete, whereas Dragon Quest XI is one of the best video game adventures you'd believe is possible to make.  It is an outstanding piece of software.  The only reason I haven't posted about it more is because I'm constantly picking my jaw up off the floor.

Yeah, it's sad to see. It's easily one of the best games this generation and one of the best JRPGs I have ever played. It's a harsh reminder that just because a game is well made, it doesn't mean that it's going to sell well. :( 

And it's not like they didn't market it. It was in a bunch of the Directs, they put Hero in Smash, and the 10-hour demo. I think the timing is just bad. If they released this in the barren first half of the year instead of now it might have sold a lot better.

What always held me back of starting a DQ game was the fact that it's called 11 (or some of the earlier ones on 3DS). It makes me feel like it is an ongoing series and I'm missing out not having played the first 10 parts. Which is nonsense, as it is a standalone story, right?

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

This is pretty much Era...

giphy.gif

Sadly, it's still the best place to get gaming news and read gaming banter.

As much as I love this place, the gaming chatter is very much few and far between these days, so I go there to read ( very rarely post ) the gaming chat. I think @Dcubed posts more over there than he does over here. :p 

You are very wrong.  I hardly post there anymore (pretty much just to ask the odd question, reply to a mate of mine, or to piss off someone :p )

3 minutes ago, Vileplume2000 said:

And it's not like they didn't market it. It was in a bunch of the Directs, they put Hero in Smash, and the 10-hour demo. I think the timing is just bad. If they released this in the barren first half of the year instead of now it might have sold a lot better.

What always held me back of starting a DQ game was the fact that it's called 11 (or some of the earlier ones on 3DS). It makes me feel like it is an ongoing series and I'm missing out not having played the first 10 parts. Which is nonsense, as it is a standalone story, right?

Yeah, Nintendo went all out on it.  I think it’s safe to say that it’ll have much better legs on Switch than it did on PS4 though; as Switch games just have longer tails in general than PS4 when it comes to sales.  So not all hope is lost yet.

1 hour ago, Grazza said:

I think we know the answer then - make the game more controversial.  Free skimpy bikini DLC for Jade!

Hey, it’d get some more eyeballs on the game at least :D 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

You are very wrong.  I hardly post there anymore (pretty much just to ask the odd question, reply to a mate of mine, or to piss off someone :p )

3000+ posts is a hefty amount. Didnt you get banned at some point as well? 

You have a habit of winding people up over there. It's hilarious to watch. :D 

• Haha 1

Turn based RPG's that aren't Pokémon are just not mainstream enough to break into that market in a successful way. Which is a massive shame.
But yeah, cartoony graphics certainly did not help in that regard as well. Which is stupid, beause it's a gorgeous game, even on Switch.

19 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

Turn based RPG's that aren't Pokémon are just not mainstream enough to break into that market in a successful way. Which is a massive shame.
But yeah, cartoony graphics certainly did not help in that regard as well. Which is stupid, beause it's a gorgeous game, even on Switch.

Really Glen? You’re really gonna walk into such an obvious trap?

octopath-traveler-bravelydefault-million

Hell even DQ8 and DQ9 both cracked 1 million in the West too.

Come on mate.  You’re better than this :p 

Edited by Dcubed

OK, fine. Fair point. Then I have no clue why Dragon Quest struggles so much.

I can see how Bravely Default and Octopath Traveler scratch the "classic Final Fantasy" itch - FF seems to have been uniquely successful in the West and is probably the only J-RPG that's a household name.  I also believe Dragon Quest XI was well marketed amongst avid gamers, with a superb demo and coverage in the Directs (as @Vileplume2000 says).

But I'd say TV advertising is still extremely important.  I saw ads for Mario Maker 2 and Link's Awakening (can't remember if I saw Fire Emblem), but none for Dragon Quest.  They just didn't get across that it's up there with those big Nintendo releases.  Speaking to people at work, they've bought Link's Awakening and Mario Maker, but though they may have heard of DQ XI, they haven't felt the desire to buy it.

It could be the cartoony graphics, but that didn't affect Breath of the Wild.  And it could be that it's turn-based, but that doesn't affect Pokémon.  It really is a mystery.

37 minutes ago, Grazza said:

It could be the cartoony graphics, but that didn't affect Breath of the Wild.  And it could be that it's turn-based, but that doesn't affect Pokémon.  It really is a mystery.

I guess it wouldn't just be the cartoony graphics, but the actual monster designs themselves. When your evil, threatening monsters look something like this...

maxresdefault.jpg

...and have punny names like the above "Night Clubber", it can be hard to sell to people who want their RPG's more serious. The sad truth is that the majority of older gamers want their games to be as realistic and serious as possible. Anything that really shows its Japanese silliness are bound to be hurt by it in the sales department once it gets released over here.

Of course, that brings us to Pokémon, which is cartoony and turn-based. Against all odds, it still sells gangbusters. I can never pinpoint why, because I like silly, goofy, turn-based RPG's so I'm clearly in the minority. (Who's looking forward to Tokyo Mirage Sessions Encore? I sure am!) But if I had to guess, a big part of the appeal is how much the Pokémon themselves become a personal aspect of the game.

It sounds melodramatic, but people get really attached to their favourite Pokémon. Probably because most people play their first Pokémon game during their childhood, and let's face it, when you're a kid, you're bound to find one Pokémon that you'd wish you had as a pet.

Nicknaming them, customising their moveset to how you like and so on helps to make your random Sandile feel like your own special Sandile. And the sheer marketability of Pokémon certainly helps. I can tell you that I definitely did not just buy a Greninja plushie when I went to the London Pokémon Centre preview event yesterday.

Other RPG's just don't have that going for them, and if they try to go for the monster-collecting aspect... well, just look at Digimon. That's actually one of the more successful Pokémon style RPG's and it's still leagues below Pikachu and pals.

(BTW, I just want to point out how much I love the monster design Toriyama pulls off in Dragon Quest, they are almost consistently more interesting than his human characters)

Edited by Glen-i
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm pretty sure Dragon Ball is pretty popular. The game's artstyle can't be the problem.

Anyway, it's sad to hear, I genuinely considered this to be the biggest release of September.

19 minutes ago, Sméagol said:

I'm pretty sure Dragon Ball is pretty popular. The game's artstyle can't be the problem.

Anyway, it's sad to hear, I genuinely considered this to be the biggest release of September.

There's no denying that the Dragon Ball anime is much more edgy and action packed than Dragon Quest is (Well, at least from Z onward, let's face it, that was the one that made it popular over in the west) Toriyama's designs lend themselves really well to 2D animations, so a lot of the audience can look past any goofiness that happens because it provides a nice contrast to the action scenes. Dragon Quest is like, 80% silliness and puns.

Also, Dragon Ball is not a video game series (No matter how much Smash fans asking for Goku would tell you otherwise), so while there may be some overlap in the audience, it's not just gamers who like Dragon Ball, but I can guarantee pretty much every fan of Dragon Quest is a gamer.

Edited by Glen-i