NEurope
Serebii

Dragon Quest XI S: Echoes of an Elusive Age - 26th Sept

Sad to see that the 3DS version isn’t coming, but it was expected.  Nintendo aren’t going to fund a localisation that isn’t exclusive to their platform and S-E aren’t going to pay to localise a 3DS game of their own accord; especially this late in the console’s life.

Why even bother with a Switch port if it’s gonna come this late though!? Might as well not bother...

Edited by Dcubed

The Switch version now has a (Japanese) title

Apparently, the S doesn't stand for Small.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hopefully it stands for Symphonic!  The big criticism of the PS4 version is that it doesn't have an orchestral soundtrack.  I haven't listened to it myself, but it does seem rather a shame after VIII's was such a big part of that game.

57 minutes ago, Grazza said:

Hopefully it stands for Symphonic!  The big criticism of the PS4 version is that it doesn't have an orchestral soundtrack. I haven't listened to it myself, but it does seem rather a shame after VIII's was such a big part of that game.

If I recall correctly, I read that Sugiyama owns the rights to the Dragon Quest soundtrack (to some degree — I’m not sure whether that’s the entire soundtrack or something specific, like orchestral compositions) and it was his choice to not have the orchestral soundtrack included in the game. Apparently this is because he was worried that releasing the game with the orchestral soundtrack would negatively effect commercial sales (concerts, CDs, et al) of the soundtrack, which is why it is found in its physical form of the Collector’s Edition. 

If that’s true, then I wouldn’t hold your breath in anticipation for it. Even if that’s not necessarily the case, it seems like an odd piece of content to withhold from the initial release, only to have t included down the line, because the orchestral soundtrack has already been recorded. If the orchestral soundtrack is included in the Switch version of the game, then I think that it would only make sense to release an optional patch for the [Western?] PS4 version of the game allowing players to experience the orchestral soundtrack in the same way, much like a patch was put out in the West including the Japanese voice-acting for Persona 5 last year. 

Edited by Julius Caesar

3 hours ago, Julius Caesar said:

If that’s true, then I wouldn’t hold your breath in anticipation for it. Even if that’s not necessarily the case, it seems like an odd piece of content to withhold from the initial release, only to have t included down the line, because the orchestral soundtrack has already been recorded. If the orchestral soundtrack is included in the Switch version of the game, then I think that it would only make sense to release an optional patch for the [Western?] PS4 version of the game allowing players to experience the orchestral soundtrack in the same way, much like a patch was put out in the West including the Japanese voice-acting for Persona 5 last year. 

Fair enough.  You probably know more about Dragon Quest XI than me (I'm trying not to torment myself until I know I can play it!)  I'm just thinking back to VIII, when the Japanese release had MIDI/sequenced music, and orchestral was added in to the Western editions.

It's worth pointing out that the lack of orchestral music stopped the game getting some 10/10s, so maybe Squre-Enix/Sugiyama will have a rethink.  That's a good idea for a patch, anyway (funny to think that wasn't an option in the PS2 days).

• Like 1

DQXI-Switch-Logo_09-23-18.jpg

On December 22nd, producer Okamoto Hokuto, director Takeshi Uchikawa, game designer and scenario writer Yuji Horii and a yet-to-be-named special guest will be delivering more information on Dragon Quest XI S from 14:00 - 14:50 JST (06:00 - 06:50 GMT) at Jump Festa 2019

• Thanks 1

Well, that's about time! I've been holding off getting this on PC, and it's about time we got an update/release date.

I’ll be getting this for Christmas I reckon. Just hoping it holds a candle to DQVIII!

The livestream started earlier and dropped this trailer.

Nothing notable so far, other than voice acting which wasn't in the original Japanese version. Stream is still going so more info or changes may pop up yet.

• Thanks 1

As revealed at the end of the trailer, the game is currently scheduled for release on  the Nintendo Switch in 2019 in Japan, and I can’t see the English version of the game being too far behind.

Here’s a comparison between the Switch and PS4 versions of the game (the Switch version is the top image):

z26u90yhor521.jpg

UPDATE: More comparison shots, with PS4 screenshots on top and Switch screenshots on the bottom this time around: 

h30b05kerv521.jpg

We also have a Japanese site for Dragon Quest XI S

As for the Japanese VA that @Hero-of-Time mentioned: Maaya Uchida voices Veronica; Ami Koshimizu will play the role of Jade; Erik is voiced by Kouki Uchiyama; Serena by Sora Amamiya; Sylvando by Masaya Onosaka; and Rab by Mugihito. Voices can be toggled on/off. Square Enix confirmed that there will be over 200 characters voiced in Japanese, which is likely on par with the amount of voice acting featured in the English release. 

Finally, Square Enix said to look forward to the New Year, promising a broadcast for Dragon Quest XI S, as well as more news on the Switch release, in January. 

Edited by Julius
  • Thanks 3

It's absolutely pathetic that it took them this long to get a Switch version done, but at least it looks like a good port.

Still, if voice acting is the only addition that this version is getting, then they might as well not bother.

This really has to be the equivilent of DQ8 3DS (which had a ton of new, extra content) for it to have any real chance of success. Including the 3DS version with this package would be a good start...

“In the game’s story you can marry [redacted due to spoilers], but I thought that people would want to choose from various characters, so we’ve added that,” Horii said. “While it isn’t marriage, you can even choose Erik or Hendrik—so you can choose the person you live with.”

Producer Hokuto Okamoto supplemented Horii’s statement, adding, “You can choose the partner you live with.”

https://gematsu.com/2018/12/dragon-quest-xi-s-launches-in-2019-in-japan-teaser-trailer#oMFUAOswgFarp78X.99

Oh, they added more partners to marry live with, that's nice.  That's a decent start! More new content like this is what this Switch version really needs!

Edited by Dcubed

Well, that looks great.  If it has only small graphical adjustments like that, I don't know why the Switch version was ever in doubt.  I'm really grateful they're bringing it to Nintendo's console.

• Thanks 1

Sources has told NintendoSoup that Dragon Quest XI will release worldwide in 2019. Still not confirmed by Square Enix, so take it with a grain of salt, but it's not that hard to believe it will release worldwide this year. I wonder if it will include english voices too, or just japanese.

https://nintendosoup.com/report-dragon-quest-xi-s-launches-worldwide-in-2019/

Edited by ArtMediocre
  • Thanks 1

This Autumn!

Can't help but feel they showed a bit too much...

BUT HOLY SMOKES THEY'RE BRINGING THE 16-BIT THING IN! AND THE OPTION TO TOGGLE BETWEEN THE ORIGINAL MUSIC?! AND NEW PARTS TO THE STORY?!

Heck yeah! Can't wait to play this again!

Edited by Julius
  • Thanks 2

They said the field and battle music would be orchestrated, right? Doesn't sound like the whole soundtrack will be orchestrated.

Oh, the 16-bit version looks awesome :D 

Everyone has to buy this (and Crypt of the Necrodancer), especially @Kav. It's a perfect fit for you.

• Haha 1

Oh yes!!!  There's not a single game I want to play more.  Clever way to integrate the 3DS version too.

At 17 seconds in it looks like an Yggdrasil tree.  Funny how often this idea turns up in things.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Ike said:

They said the field and battle music would be orchestrated, right? Doesn't sound like the whole soundtrack will be orchestrated.

You're right, didn't pick up on that the first time. Strange choice.

Honestly, the saving grace for me is that it will have the 16-bit mode which we can transition to on the fly, and new story elements. I absolutely adored playing through Dragon Quest XI on PS4, and will very happily purchase and play this again (I hope they don't send it out to die like it felt was the case last year on PS4 and PC), but it does feel like Square Enix have been quite slimy in holding back just how much more this version of the game would have when compared with the PS4 version. 

I've never purchased a game twice before, but this really was an experience which I fondly look back upon, and I can't wait to read the thoughts of people who haven't played the game yet, like @Grazza! Plus, a second playthrough, and in a 2D format..let's just say that it might help me figure out which is my favourite game that I've played so far!

2 minutes ago, Julius said:

I've never purchased a game twice before, but this really was an experience which I fondly look back upon, and I can't wait to read the thoughts of people who haven't played the game yet, like @Grazza! Plus, a second playthrough, and in a 2D format..let's just say that it might help me figure out which is my favourite game that I've played so far!

I was very, very tempted to buy a PS4 for this, I really was, but I'm glad I waited.  It's not the money; I just genuinely like playing the Switch in handheld mode so much.

I hope they port VIII using this engine as well.

On 12/22/2018 at 9:10 AM, Dcubed said:

This really has to be the equivilent of DQ8 3DS (which had a ton of new, extra content) for it to have any real chance of success. Including the 3DS version with this package would be a good start...

Well now! I think we've got ourselves a deal! :D 

Well, that upgraded this game from "probably will buy" to "defo bought"

Give me that 3DS version not on 3DS!