NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Dcubed

Games Done Quick

Looking forward to Banjo Kazooie 100%, Robobot Meta Knightmare, Okami HD and the Mario Series Relay Race in particular!

The Resident Evil Block should be good fun too :D

8 hour speedrun of FFVII has just started. Seems quite an interesting one. Apparently the battles aren't actually random but on a step counter so they basically have to memorise the precise amount of steps they take on each screen in the game to manipulate the battle system.

• Like 1

Breath of the Wild has now been added as a bonus run incentive for $100,000, hopefully they'll make it as it's one I'd like to see.

• Like 1

Sadly not been able to watch most of this year's runs live, but the Portal one was just insane!  Really looking forward to watching the catch ups!

This FF7 one is pretty interesting, lots of little skips and tricks.  Wont be able to watch the whole thing right now, but I'll surely watch the rest of it later.

Can't believe that they're already at 1.1 million! They're gonna destroy last year's total! :o

2 hours ago, Happenstance said:

Breath of the Wild has now been added as a bonus run incentive for $100,000, hopefully they'll make it as it's one I'd like to see.

I knew it would happen.  It was by far the biggest omission from the lineup and that game is basically made for speedrunning.  And there's no way that it wont reach the incentive goal.  Can't wait to see just how much they break the game! :D

Edited by Dcubed

Just catching up with some of the runs.  OH MY GOD @ the Banjo Kazooie one! :o

• Like 1

Really frustrating that I've not been able to watch most of this year's AGDQ live, but I have caught little bits here and there.

The Skyrim run was outright hilarity, while the Ristar and Rayman runs have been really impressive!  Also, it was pretty amazing to see someone from Nintendo's localisation team (for Splatoon 2, didn't catch their name sadly) actually sit in on the couch with them giving commentary on the game!

Really looking forward to catching up with a lot more of these runs when they get uploaded to Youtube and I get some time!

Edit:  HOLY CRAP!! This Castlevania Harmony of Dissonance run!! It's NUTS! :o 

Edited by Dcubed

Wow it really snuck up on me this year. Sounds like I have a few good runs to catch up on!

The Awful Games section was fun (Superman 64 finally gets a section! Plus Bart vs Space Mutants was one of the most disappointing games I ever owned).

It still impresses me that these runners do it so well in front of a live audience. Watching ‘I Wanna Be The Boshy” right now, which is ridiculously tough, and the guy is absolutely blitzing it!

On 1/9/2018 at 3:36 PM, Dcubed said:

Edit:  HOLY CRAP!! This Castlevania Harmony of Dissonance run!! It's NUTS! :o 

I just watched this. You are certainly not exaggerating.

2vO1Xj.gif

KZm5BJ.gif

Yv0lnW.gif

Edited by Glen-i
  • Haha 2

Forgot this was happening til my mate reminded me last night. Just been watching the Yoshi's Island any% warpless race atm as my first outing of this year's offerings. I'm probs gonna be only catching up on the shorter/old school ones that I used to like due to time and also OWL time too.

It's not the most fascinating watch for those who aren't big fans - the main commentator doesn't sound(not to say he isn't) very punchy and loses himself on occasion, which is a shame as he has great knowledge of the runs but doesn't get it across enough imo for the regular viewer. On top of that there aren't too many obvious 'tricks' as it were, so less to talk about for the technical side. Being over an hour on top doesn't help either - BUT!

Having said that as a massive YI fan(dunno where you sit on it @drahkon, know you're a big SMW fan) I'm enjoying it to watch as a 4 way race. Not understanding entirely how/where some of these big gaps are getting closed but finding it fun, maybe through slight reminiscence :p  I was watching an old one from somewhere! Still enoyable nonetheless.

Makes me really want to do a charity gaming run/marathon like the guys have done here in the past. Tbh I'm watching YI and I'm really thinking how awesome it'd be to do a fast bowser run against Drahkon, as well as an attempt at all exits ;)

Edit:fuckers. Tempted fate it seems and twitch/Chromecast just gave up on me.

1 minute ago, Rummy said:

Makes me really want to do a charity gaming run/marathon like the guys have done here in the past. Tbh I'm watching YI and I'm really thinking how awesome it'd be to do a fast bowser run against Drahkon, as well as an attempt at all exits ;)

Kinda reminds me of the 24 hour Kirby Marathon @Dcubed, @Ugh first aid and I did way back. And I ran through Kirby 64 with pretty much only one ability combo (Cutter/Spark). That was funny!

Anyway, funny you should mention Yoshi's Island. Because I ran through that game myself on the SNES Mini a few months back.

t2S4KYx.jpg

Not gonna set the world on fire, but...

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Rummy said:

Having said that as a massive YI fan(dunno where you sit on it @drahkon, know you're a big SMW fan)

I have to admit that I'm not too keen on Yoshi's Island. But watching Speed Runs/Races is almost always fun :D

Soooo....I think through some specialness of my own I may not have actually been watching this year's, yet I can't find the original damn twitch stream I had to finish the one I WAS watching! They weren't far off world 6

I had wondered as you don't mention it much @drahkon, dunno what to say about YI after all as from what I've seen of the actual one from this year it seems more lively than I described. I like SMW runs still but they've gotten to some points where it's just crazy beyond sense!

Edit: can ANYONE tell me when the fuck this clip is from?? I honestly can't find any fucking info to date it. @Dcubed you know your AGDQ stuff right?! - https://m.twitch.tv/gamesdonequick/v/5852154?sr=a&t=0s

Editedit: think it's a 2015 stream! Checked the hashtag. Fucking AGDQ/Twitter need to sort their fucking organisation and titling out even if I have enjoyed this!

• Like 1

On 17/01/2018 at 10:59 AM, drahkon said:

This is just awesome.

Not usually a Kaizo fan but that and the TASBot closeout were indeed very awesome. I definitely wanna have a SMW speedrun-off with you someday man. Maybe start with a bowser speed run then a race to see how quick we'd get all 96(I've never tried it at speed, always play at usual pace). Sponsorship on a per-achievement/level completion basis could be cool with sacrifices etc(obvs thinking on a charity context as part of something a bit bigger). 10p per death from ourselves, 5-20p per exit found from sponsors who don't wanna just flatrate etc.

51 minutes ago, Rummy said:

I definitely wanna have a SMW speedrun-off with you someday man. Maybe start with a bowser speed run then a race to see how quick we'd get all 96(I've never tried it at speed, always play at usual pace).

Haven't done a 96 run in ages...never actually tried it as a speed-run either.

And to be honest, I've never really tried any speed-run techniques for a Bowser run. Never looked them up :D I just try to be as quick as possible. Last time I did it was a year ago, drunk in under 20 minutes. A mate wanted me to prove it because I kept telling him I can do it :laughing:

• Thanks 1

I haven't got any techniques myself, just know all the routes and levels. There's usually an exit I forget somewhere, and it's frustrating because it's hard to tell for some which ones you got and didn't! Forest of illusion particularly. The only thing I'd know for a bowser run is basically taking the first startling road route and getting round there! I might give it a quick go now and see how I get on...(absolutely no way can I do it like the pros, nor most likely not die at least once). Tbh I don't even recall the best door route at bowsers castle! I think as a kid we used to take 3 and maybe 8? Iono. I usually guess and go with the flow!

EDIT: Nope! Half hour about to get to Bowser even for the first time, with deaths on the way. I'm very bad at this.

Editedit: or maybe I'll just say that an thrash bowser. Took the 3 route to get a cape for backup tho. Goddamn I need to brush up!

Just got round to watching the MGS and SOTN runs this morning, at last.  Hilarious! Highly recommended if you want to see some classic games get tremendously broken :laughing:

Couldn't sleep so I decided to watch an AGDQ run.

Very entertaining. Great run with amazing commentary.

Not quite an ADQ but Marc just put me onto this video about SMB1 4-2, is an interesting little watch for those who enjoy some of the small technicals. Essentially a 20 minute focus on one of the most notable levels on a speedrunning route in history, and both the opportunities and challenges its technique has evolved through.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

NicroVeda Super Mario Odyssey 
Nintendo Switch
Any% [Bonus Game] 
 01:07:00

And there it is! It's gonna be a wild one! :D 

Looking forward to the Samus Returns, Banjo Tooie, Paper Mario and 2x Pokemon Yellow runs!

Edited by Dcubed

Sign in to follow this