NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Serebii

Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker 3

Does anyone know what those images are at the bottom of the page? It looks like Hero and Jessica (plus the dancers) from Dragon Quest VIII, but I don't recognise the costumes. It looks like Jessica has a microphone and she's singing.

Does anyone know what those images are at the bottom of the page? It looks like Hero and Jessica (plus the dancers) from Dragon Quest VIII, but I don't recognise the costumes. It looks like Jessica has a microphone and she's singing.

It's very hard to understand given the photo cuts out half of the Japanese text, but yeah, given there's a black border around the DQM3J reveal, it's most likely to do with the 3DS release of VIII and having new costumes.

Given how bad Joker 2 sold here, this will never be released in the West. I remember picking up a sealed copy for £5

It's very hard to understand given the photo cuts out half of the Japanese text, but yeah, given there's a black border around the DQM3J reveal, it's most likely to do with the 3DS release of VIII and having new costumes.

Given how bad Joker 2 sold here, this will never be released in the West. I remember picking up a sealed copy for £5

LOL As if "THAT" would be the reason if doesn't get a UK release. It's not getting a UK release because SE says NO, because it says no, because only Japan is allowed Dragon Quest games on the 3DS. I wish there was some sort of non-dscolsure for SE games where they couldn't announce them to the world outside Japan if they had no intention of releasing them as I'm sick of hearing about games I'd 100% buy but can never play just because SE have given up on translation for all their games except "shiny £100 million budget games" for PS4/XO.

LOL As if "THAT" would be the reason if doesn't get a UK release. It's not getting a UK release because SE says NO, because it says no, because only Japan is allowed Dragon Quest games on the 3DS. I wish there was some sort of non-dscolsure for SE games where they couldn't announce them to the world outside Japan if they had no intention of releasing them as I'm sick of hearing about games I'd 100% buy but can never play just because SE have given up on translation for all their games except "shiny £100 million budget games" for PS4/XO.

How conveniently you seem to have forgotten that Nintendo themselves published several Dragon Quest games in the West. If SE isn't keen and neither is Nintendo, then that speaks volumes regarding the sales they garner.

Let's be honest with ourselves, it just doesn't sell very well here, and no one wants to take the risk and who can blame them? They're companies, not charities.

There's no "Onry grorious Nippon" attitude, that would imply xenophobia and utter stupidity.

I was going to say that, since I've never tried a Dragon Quest Monsters game, I'd be quite tempted to try this one. Then I remembered that it's a Dragon Quest game on 3DS so it'll never come out here. Oh well.

How conveniently you seem to have forgotten that Nintendo themselves published several Dragon Quest games in the West. If SE isn't keen and neither is Nintendo, then that speaks volumes regarding the sales they garner.

Let's be honest with ourselves, it just doesn't sell very well here, and no one wants to take the risk and who can blame them? They're companies, not charities.

There's no "Onry grorious Nippon" attitude, that would imply xenophobia and utter stupidity.

I didn't conveniently forget (huh?) I don't see why they should have to constantly do SE's job for them. They've proved the profit is there from past experience, they should have picked up their own slack by now. Nintendo's not doing much of that anymore because it's spread so ridiculously thin they can barely get their OWN games out.

The profit IS there. A profit good enough for most other companies.

Edited by Mr_Master_X2

Well considering your attitude of blaming Square Enix when other companies clearly have the option to licence it from them, it did seem that you had forgot that even Nintendo gave up on the thing.

I think you're not really getting it mate. Either there is no profit and that's why they're not even bothering, or the profit margin is so small it's not even worth trying. Thinking that a publisher is deliberately holding back a series, even if it made a lot of money, is incredibly naïve, do you not understand this? If it made enough money of course they would release it.

You seem to know a lot about how much Dragon Quest makes in the west. Do you have any numbers in regards to localisation costs, and the generated revenue? Plus, it's not your IP, you don't get to decide that. It's a shame they won't release it here, I completely agree, but as much as I hate the phrase "entitled gamer", that's the impression I'm getting from you right now.

I didn't conveniently forget (huh?) I don't see why they should have to constantly do SE's job for them. They've proved the profit is there from past experience, they should have picked up their own slack by now. Nintendo's not doing much of that anymore because it's spread so ridiculously thin they can barely get their OWN games out.

The profit IS there. A profit good enough for most other companies.

If guaranteed good profit was there they would do it. It's as simple as that.

If guaranteed good profit was there they would do it. It's as simple as that.

It is, and has been proven. So you tell me the real reason then? (Because it's not lack of profit, and I've no bloody idea what it is). The only one that faffed up was Joker 2 because they announced it after they'd just released Pro version in Japan...so people waited for a game that never came. The game has done very well in later sales (which won't be tracked due to obvious reasons, and probably still made total profit combined US/EU on translation costs before later sales surge) Were they super sales? Probably not, but full EU/NTSC territories sales always resulted in profit, especially since they only really have to make back translation costs.

Face it, it's an utter waste to have so many games that could result in extra profit that nobody can be bothered releasing. The only thing I can assume is, is that SE are still under the assumption us westerners don't really like classical JRPGs.

Imagine this; imagine if they'd advertised the DQM series like Pokemon was. Spaced its releases in the blank space in-between Pokemon releases? It looks like Level-5 has realised the obvious and are going to do just THAT with Yokai Watch in the west.

They're wasting the potential of their IPs because all they see western gamers as "ooh gimme that shiny expensive latest Final Fantasy!!" and that's it.

It is, and has been proven. So you tell me the real reason then? (Because it's not lack of profit, and I've no bloody idea what it is). The only one that faffed up was Joker 2 because they announced it after they'd just released Pro version in Japan...so people waited for a game that never came. The game has done very well in later sales (which won't be tracked due to obvious reasons, and probably still made total profit combined US/EU on translation costs before later sales surge) Were they super sales? Probably not, but full EU/NTSC territories sales always resulted in profit, especially since they only really have to make back translation costs.

Face it, it's an utter waste to have so many games that could result in extra profit that nobody can be bothered releasing. The only thing I can assume is, is that SE are still under the assumption us westerners don't really like classical JRPGs.

Imagine this; imagine if they'd advertised the DQM series like Pokemon was. Spaced its releases in the blank space in-between Pokemon releases? It looks like Level-5 has realised the obvious and are going to do just THAT with Yokai Watch in the west.

They're wasting the potential of their IPs because all they see western gamers as "ooh gimme that shiny expensive latest Final Fantasy!!" and that's it.

Note I said good profit. Any profit could even mean just £1 - why would they chase that. We are saying the profit is not so worthwhile to actively pursue.

Otherwise you are saying they just hate certain groups of people (and love leaving huge amounts of cash on the table), which I'm sure you'll agree makes no sense.

Note I said good profit. Any profit could even mean just £1 - why would they chase that. We are saying the profit is not so worthwhile to actively pursue.

Otherwise you are saying they just hate certain groups of people (and love leaving huge amounts of cash on the table), which I'm sure you'll agree makes no sense.

I'm sure it's more than a £1, dude. <_< Certain other companies with substantially less resources with games that sell as much seem to think it's worth it to translate their games. I can see this back-forward is pointless. Enjoy your day.

I'm sure it's more than a £1, dude. <_< Certain other companies with substantially less resources with games that sell as much seem to think it's worth it to translate their games. I can see this back-forward is pointless. Enjoy your day.

It's only pointless because you aren't getting it. And I really, really cannot believe you picked up on the £1 thing as if I am actually suggesting to you that they are making a pound.

The amount of profit they make, they do not consider worthwhile pursuing. Straight up comparisons to other companies are daft because they are not those companies. What might be considered good profit to another company might not be to them. For instance, they might make much more money doing something else, and have only limited staff/resources to allocate, such that localising is not considered more profitable than doing the other thing to them. You need a bit of perspective.

It's only pointless because you aren't getting it. And I really, really cannot believe you picked up on the £1 thing as if I am actually suggesting to you that they are making a pound.

The amount of profit they make, they do not consider worthwhile pursuing. Straight up comparisons to other companies are daft because they are not those companies. What might be considered good profit to another company might not be to them. For instance, they might make much more money doing something else, and have only limited staff/resources to allocate, such that localising is not considered more profitable than doing the other thing to them. You need a bit of perspective.

Have you seen the amount of portable DS/3DS games SE puts out compared to home consoles? It's a lot. The NTSC/PAL combined sales of some games are likely worth more than the whole of Japan's. The truth is, translation costs aren't THAT much, at least not to the point it's completely not worth it even. We're talking about a dev with thousands and thousands of staff that has the money to even hire out translators if its own are stuck elsewhere. Compared to certain other companies who pump translations out like nothing that have far less money and far, far less staff and resources, anyway. I can "understand" and have "perspective" to understand they don't have to, and it may not be as profitable as Final Fantasy 37 or Kingdom Hearts 10, but considering 3DS games costs significantly less to develop and that they only need to take translation into effect for profits at this point, the total cost to them to profit ration is quite high in the profit area. Which I'm pretty sure is something they should be taking into account. Companies that base all their profit on the latest "shiny and expensive" game are the companies that are usually one or two failures away from collapsing in on themselves and being bought out. For any sane company, ALL profit is worth it, especially if it's many, many times more profit than the cost put in.

Sign in to follow this