NEurope
CoolFunkMan

R.I.P Satoru Iwata

http://www.gamespot.com/videos/the-point-understanding-iwatas-legacy/2300-6426061/

Fantastic tribute by Gamespot of all places. The end really resonated with me and how Nintendo is in general.

That really was a fantastic video. Very rare that I can say anything good about Gamespot, but that is legitimately a fantastic tribute video!

Does a great job of summarising his vision of the industry.

Check this out, Hirokazu Tanaka has produced a Balloon Fight remix in tribute to Satoru Iwata. :)

Here it is...

VC Weekly

content-4-34407-1.jpg

My personal tribute to Satoru Iwata in addition to the usual reviews.

I hope you'll enjoy reading it and that I've hopefully managed to do some justice to his memory.

: peace:

though Electric plus boomerang creates a light-sabre ability which is almost completely broken as you barely need any other abilities after that

Can't help but think I might have influenced this sentence a tad.

Great reviews. You definitely enjoyed Mouse Attack more than I did though. You could kinda tell I wasn't enjoying it as much as the other games.

Can't help but think I might have influenced this sentence a tad.

Great reviews. You definitely enjoyed Mouse Attack more than I did though. You could kinda tell I wasn't enjoying it as much as the other games.

I think you just might have. ;)

It's so true though! That ability really allows you to progress through the game at a phenomenal rate.

Thanks, yes I certainly did though I'd attribute that to playing it straight after Kirby 64 I think, though it's definitely a good Kirby game, I really liked the fact that there were a lot of collectables in the 120 treasure chests spread out through the game even if the battles with the Squeaks did end up becoming rather formulaic.

Kirby Triple Deluxe is still one of my favourites though. :)

Also... you do realise that now every time I complete a stage in any Kirby game that I now hear your rhyme in my head. :heh:

It's not a bad thing, as it's rather fun, just something I noticed. : peace:

A week on and still devastated by the passing of Satoru Iwata. It's heart wrenching to know he is now longer with us - and at 55 years of age.

The outpouring of love and gratitude from the wider Nintendo community has been heartbreaking, comforting and a celebration equal measure (Nintendo gamers, we're a wonderful bunch).

I've consistently found his broadcasts, keynotes and appearances totally engaging and as a fan, I've appreciated how he's treated us with absolute respect - speaking 'directly' to us, giving moments of apology. He's bought about a Nintendo that is proud to be different, one that is a joyous, playful character which mirrors the hundreds of games the company has produced over the years.

Thanks, Iwata.

Watching the Game Center CX special again was a weird moment.

Having so much fun and laughing with a man who is no longer among us.

What a fun guy to play a game with.

I wonder if someone will kickstart a documentary about him or if Nintendo might take it upon themselves to create a more profound memorial clip about him.

Edited by Fused King

What a lovely tribute, very well delivered by Reggie considering how emotional it still must be :)

Great little anecdote about the name of the Wii though, and how even people within Nintendo were questioning it! Can still remember my mates at Uni laughing so hard when they found out its name. They weren't laughing when they all wanted to come over and play Wii Sports on launch day, mind ;)

Iwata will be receiving an award this month.

With a summit in the days before, details have now been issued for the 19th D.I.C.E. Awards on 18th February; this is a prestigious annual event hosted by The Academy of Interactive Arts & Sciences. Nintendo picked up a few awards in late 2015 for key releases such as Splatoon and Super Mario Maker, and will now have the chance to do so again at the Las Vegas event.

Of particular note is confirmation that former Nintendo President Satoru Iwata will received a posthumous Lifetime Achievement Award.

I've been dipping in and out of Tomodachi Life recently ( just started it last week ) and I added Iwata into the game. I had such a cool moment where I was just sitting on the beach and Iwata just happened to walk on by.

You must have JavaScript enabled on your device to view Miiverse posts that have been embedded in a website. View post in Miiverse

I also came across a great tribute video the other day. GoNintendo posted a Storm Eagle remix by this guy and I liked it so much that I started checking out what other stuff he had done. Turns out he made a tribute for Iwata.

It's still difficult to watch stuff like that without feeling really sad and moved. Crazy that it's been 6 months since his passing and it still hits me pretty hard.

A touching video was shown at the GDC Awards as a tribute to Iwata.

I'm not crying :'(

A touching video was shown at the GDC Awards as a tribute to Iwata.

Damn. Saw this the other day when it was released. Still saddens me to my core.

I hope if and when Nintendo have their showcase of the new console at E3 that they show another tribute to Iwata.

For those of you who don't know, the NES Golf game was found hidden in the Switch's firmware last week. It looks like how to unlock it has been cracked.

Only seems to work on 1.0.0 systems that have never been connected to the Internet.
The system date must be set to July 11 (Iwata's death). Then, mimic the "Directly" gesture with both Joy-Con in Home Menu.

R836VUq.png

Here's an article about it.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017/09/searching-for-the-hidden-motion-to-unlock-the-switchs-nes-emulator/

If all of this is legit ( seems to be ), then this has to be one of the greatest easter eggs in video game history. What an amazing tribute to Iwata. :cry::bowdown::heart:

• Sad 6

I watched the Gamexplain video on this and honestly started welling up. What an amazing tribute to a magnificent human being :cry:

That's absolutely crazy! And wonderful!

There's a little bit of Iwata inside every Switch... :cry:

Questionable game choice aside (why not Balloon Fight?, his most famous NES contribution, or Pinball?, the first Nintendo published game he worked on), what a wonderful tribute!

Oh wow! It even plays his "Directly" catchphrase when you successfully pull it off!

The feels :cry:

Edited by Dcubed
  • Like 5

33 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

Questionable game choice aside (why not Balloon Fight?, his most famous NES contribution, or Pinball?, the first Nintendo published game he worked on), what a wonderful tribute!

It doesn't seem that questionable.. The story goes nintendo asked several developers to create a Golf game. All refused because they didn't think they could fit a Golf game on the availabe memory. Satoru Iwata was the one who stepped up to the task, and had to create a compression algorithm to fit everything on the cartridge. That's what I've read anyway.

1 hour ago, Dcubed said:

Oh wow! It even plays his "Directly" catchphrase when you successfully pull it off!

The feels :cry:

Amazing, sad and heartening at the same time.

2 hours ago, Sméagol said:

It doesn't seem that questionable.. The story goes nintendo asked several developers to create a Golf game. All refused because they didn't think they could fit a Golf game on the availabe memory. Satoru Iwata was the one who stepped up to the task, and had to create a compression algorithm to fit everything on the cartridge. That's what I've read anyway.

Oh yeah, I know about that.  It just seems an odd choice over Balloon Fight or Pinball to me :p 

A lovely idea to have him watching over every Switch console, really nice tribute to a great man.

• Like 1

Some quotes from Itoi's book have started to surface. 

LINK

Miyamoto still remembers one of their first meals together. Iwata, who was running Kirby and Smash Bros developer HAL Lab at the time, was in Kyoto to work on a project. Late at night, they went for a bowl of ramen. “Nintendo doesn’t pay for social expenses, so we had to go Dutch on the bill,” says Miyamoto. “That became a tradition that lasted even after he became company president and I became an executive.”

“Since he passed away, Nintendo has been doing just fine,” says Miyamoto. “He left many words and structures that live on in the work of our younger employees today. The only problem is that, if there is some good-for-nothing idea I come up with over the weekend, I have no one to share it with the next Monday. That I can no longer hear him say ‘Oh, about that thing…’ is a bit of a problem for me. It makes me sad.”

“Iwata said that the vision behind his business was to make everyone happy: himself, his friends at work, and his customers,” says Itoi. “He used the English word for ‘happy’ instead of the Japanese word, which charmed me. It’s funny how you remember the most insignificant things, but whenever Iwata used the word ‘happy,’ he would show you the palms of both of his hands. That’s something I don’t think I’ll ever forget.”

“On the day of Iwata’s funeral, it rained in torrents, and Miyamoto and I were waiting around,” says Itoi. “Suddenly I decided to ask him how much chance Iwata himself had believed he had to be cured. Miyamoto responded immediately, in a very natural manner. ‘He totally believed that he would become better. He didn’t have the slightest intention to die.’ That answer made me realize just how close Miyamoto and Iwata were, and to what extent they understood each other.”

:cry:

Edited by Hero-of-Time
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 5