NEurope
CoolFunkMan

R.I.P Satoru Iwata

Sad news indeed, and at such an unexpected age. I thought things were looking a bit ropey on the health side but certainly wasn't expecting this. I have to say for whatever criticisms people might level at him, he certainly had some great achievements to his name too. Very sad news.

This is incredibly sad and I'm genuinely tearing up. He was an incredibly inspiring man. He loved gaming and wanted everyone to enjoy it as much as he did. That's a wonderful thing - I wish executives at other companies cared as much as he did.

55 is so young :( I did think this would happen sooner rather than later because his illness was pretty hard to recover from, but his non-attendence at E3 and how weak he looked in the recent directs had me worried.

I'll miss you, Iwata. Thanks for the memories and thank you for Melee. You genius!

I'm in shock. I can't even think of what I should say.

So I'll just keep it simple.

R.I.P Iwata.

I've went through the Gaf thread and grabbed all the images I could find that pay tribute to this great man.

even_big_brothers_cryv0k2x.png

quote-on-my-business-card-i-am-a-corporate-president-in-my-mind-i-am-a-game-developer-but-satoru-iwata-76-31-12.jpg

g9rOpkF.png

4EbBdUu.jpg

CJwUEdiUcAAnO8Y.jpg

hHrByDz.png?1

CJwTaPZUsAA7jTP.jpg

3eMAM5W.gif

9ixffNS.png

get?url=https%3A%2F%2Fpbs.twimg.com%2Fmedia%2FCJwUEo9UMAA4ub2.jpg&key=n7tY0Hclef_cMv5o-1X8kA&w=800&h=582

LjN0f2z.jpg

kcyjdLb.png

qUxOnPk.png

pVf3tpI.png

IejbI0a.jpg

hQP2pvK.jpg

zmk2L12.png

CJxIZK5UwAA8zkv.jpg

xxTdiFs.jpg

CJxTswlUAAE95K9.jpg

tumblr_nremjmKFDI1qimav9o1_500.png

2015-07-13-tributetomriwata.png

original.gif

I was driving to work and they mentioned his death on the news. The news was then followed by See You Again. Yup, I completely lost it again. I probably got some funny looks while I was stopped at the traffic lights. :(

The combo of the Balloon Fight illustration and Earthbound dialogue under it was too much for me. It sounds corny, but Iwata has been so prominent in our lives for so long this feels like losing a friend or family member. I can't imagine and don't want to think about a Nintendo without him.

The tributes pouring out are incredible though, my timeline is flooded with Nintendo memories and illustrations. What an amazing contribution to the world of fun and entertainment.

Edited by Guy

Oh boy, this is so sad. Found out just before I went to bed... made sleeping hard... Like a lot of people, it wasn't all the amazing things he did with the business, not even his games, it was his insistence on wanting to make people smile, it was that he was the CEO and made an absolute idiot of himself on a regular basis, that when things were bad at nintendo he took a massive paycut...

An amazing developer, an amazing businessman but an incredible and joyous man. Rare...

All these images an videos are just so so perfect. But so incredibly sad!

This is terribly sad news.

I know a lot of people didn't like what he did with Nintendo and scorned him in many ways.

However I loved the guy, as a CEO of such a large firm I found him to be unique that he was humble, approachable, likeable and seemed like a genuinely kind and decent man who cared for his company, their products and the ethos that the company stood for.

I liked his hands on approach and the way he was willing to be front and centre on the directs. He wasn't a man that shied from responsibility, and despit being mocked and for his comments like 'please understand' I always found it quite humbling that a man in such a position would address the fans in such a way.

He was a real pioneer in the industry and brought Nintendo some of its most profitable years and oversaw the production and lifespan of Nintendo's two most popular consoles, the Wii and DS.

He was a man I found it impossible to dislike and always looked forward to seeing at public events.

I will miss him immensely and for him to be taken at such a young age is a tragedy. I can't help but think the stress of the current situation at Nintendo didn't help his condition, but despite his waning health he still put on a brave face and didn't shy away from his responsibilities and duties.

He oversaw some the best pieces of software I've ever played and his legacy will hopefully live for years to come in the smiles and laughter of those who enjoy his works.

Thanks and RIP Satoru Iwata.

I'm in shock, dumb struck, i just don't know what to say or feel about this.

RIP Iwata, you helped make the worlds that made my childhood and that still live with me today....can't let myself tear up at work

Shigesato Itoi On iwata

“No matter the farewell, I think the most appropriate thing to say is “we”ll meet again.” We are friends so we”ll see each other again. There is nothing strange about saying it. Yeah. We’ll meet again.

Even if you didn’t have the chance to put into words how sudden it was going to be, how far you’d be traveling, or how you went much earlier than expected, I know you went wearing your best.

You always put yourself second to others no matter what, helping anyone who needed it whenever they needed it. You were that kind of friend. Although you may have been a little selfish for the first time ever by taking this journey.

The truth is though that I still don’t believe any of it. I feel like I am going to receive a message from you inviting me out to eat at any moment. I wouldn’t mind if you were to ask me like always if I had some free time. If you did, I’d ask you as well.

Still, “we’ll meet again.” It would be great to hear from you whenever and wherever; I’ll being calling to you too. I’ll call if I have something to discuss or I want to tell you a great new idea I’ve had.

We’ll meet again.

Then again, you’re here with me now.”

http://nintendoeverything.com/earthbound-creator-shigesato-itoi-on-iwatas-passing/

I'm sad to hear this as Satoru Iwata was just so likeable. He made sure Nintendo Directs were basically entertainment shows - if I have one memory of them as a whole, it's laughing through them (at running jokes like the fruit), all the while hoping for Iwata to say "One more thing...", the best of which (in my opinion) was Wind Waker HD. That not only made my day, it made my month. It's a credit to the man that only last month he took part in the E3 presentation, the "puppet" styling of which I thought was genuinely very funny.

Satoru Iwata's greatest achievement was, I think, the 3DS. From the unveiling at E3 2010, it had such amazing potential - great graphics, full-on line-up of games and (amazingly) 3D graphics without glasses. From the moment it was released in 2011, it was a true vision - not only the great games, but also when we got the Letterbox application - still Nintendo's best, in my opinion. I have to thank Iwata for all the enjoyment I got from that.

Rest in Peace Satoru Iwata.

Had to log in for first time in many years, RIP Mr Iwata.

Had to post this video, he just seemed so pleased with the Wii U.

Really, thinking about the last year since he returned to work, he has put so much into motion. With the 15% survival rate even if caught early of this type of cancer, it really looks like he was planning everything to try and get Nintendo back on top form while he could.

He put NX into motion. Unified hardware is a huge thing.

The DeNA deal for mobile and to help bring Nintendo's online into the modern times with a whole new account system.

The shift in Club Nintendo to a more modern, global system.

The deal with Universal and other companies to bring Nintendo IP into a wider range of things including theme parks.

Increased R&D for games.

QoL being developed for additional revenue

Introducing Morimoto as a new host for the Nintendo Directs.

This stuff was all so rapid, and the latter one made people question what is going on. Now, we can see that it does look like Iwata was putting plans in place.

Maybe I'm just overthinking it and trying to make sense out of this. I hate things like this. Hate.

Edited by Serebii

You must have JavaScript enabled on your device to view Miiverse posts that have been embedded in a website. View post in Miiverse

Of all the drawings I did back when I doodled on Miiverse, this is the one that got the most "Yeahs" by a pretty wide margin. Pics with Mario, Link and other big faces you associate with Nintendo don't even come close. It's just another example, along with all the tearjerking tributes that have flooded in since the tragic news broke, that speaks volumes about just how many lives this incredibly likable man has connected to and helped bring joy to with his many contributions.

It's strange... Usually I can ramble on and on fairly easily, but today my hands feel heavy, and words are failing me. Though my hands may find the task too difficult, it seems that my eyes have managed to share my thoughts and feelings today with much greater ease. Perhaps that says enough. Maybe in time I can do better, but for now all I'm able to type is... thank you. Thank you for the fun over the years and for bringing smiles to so many people. May you rest peacefully, Mr. Iwata.

VQFtd6a.gif

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

Sorry, I don't have access to any of my drawing stuff, but I wanted to do something, so...

Anyway, maybe I can do more than an MSPaint sprite recolour one day.

I don't know what to say. He was responsible for many years of entertainment. I'm guessing for me personally, I've been playing his games since Kirby's adventure.

I'll miss his Nintendo directs.

Haven't been reading gaming news since last Friday. Now I visit this forum and have to read this...

I'm absolutely gutted. Literally shaking...some posts I read...I had to hold back tears. :(

Me and Glen-i are doing a 24 hour charity livestream of (most) of the mainline Kirby series, in honor of Iwata's passing!

Come tune in at some point! (and maybe we can rack up a few donations for Cancer Research UK as well while we're at it!)

There may be surprises along the way too ;) (and pizza. but only for us, not for you :p - Maybe one day someone will invent a way of sharing pizza through the internet!)

BTW, apologies in advance if we run into any problems during the livestream - this is my first time using OBS (and getting it working at all was a total nightmare!!), so expect some fun video streaming problems at some point ;)

"Mr. Iwata is gone, but it will be years before his impact on both Nintendo and the full video game industry will be fully appreciated. He was a strong leader for our company, and his attributes were clear to most everyone: Intelligence, creativity, curiosity and sense of humor. But for those of us fortunate enough to work closely with him, what will be remembered most were his mentorship and, especially, his friendship. He was a wonderful man. He always challenged us to push forward…to try the new…to upset paradigms—and most of all, to engage, excite and endear our fans. That work will continue uninterrupted."

. . .

"I am surprised at this sudden news and overcome with sadness.

"The entire development team at Nintendo will remain committed to our development policy which Mr. Iwata and we have been constructing together and to yield the development results which Mr. Iwata would appreciate."

. . .

"It is difficult to put into words the sadness we feel at this time. Mr. Iwata was a strong leader, a unique figure in the gaming industry and an important part of Nintendo's history. He was a visionary in every sense of the word and we will miss him dearly.

"Just as Mr. Iwata challenged us to always push forward, we will ensure his legacy lives on through our ongoing work to always surprise and delight our fans. At this time our thoughts are with his family."