NEurope
CoolFunkMan

R.I.P Satoru Iwata

Sad news. He hadn't been well for a while, but that's still pretty young.

Very sad news, particularly as he's had on going health problems. Must have been very difficult for him and his family. RIP.

I can't believe I'm posting this... :(

R.I.P. Satoru Iwata

You'll be sorely missed by many and will never be forgotten for your contribution not only to the videogames industry but to this world as a phenomenal person.

Nothing further to say at this moment, I know he was ill but still, far too soon.

Sad news.

Whether you liked him or not one cannot deny his passion for the industry and Nintendo.

Will be missed.

Woah, hadn't realised his ill health was so serious. RIP!

What the hell...? Seriously?

:sad: Jesus Christ... He was one of the good ones. I wonder if he should've taken a break. This is awful.

R.I.P. Satoru Iwata. You will be missed.

Words can't express the contribution he has made to the industry. He was a true visionary.

I had a feeling that his health was worse than was being let on, the poor guy was working himself into the ground :(

The most important thing to note in this case that his primary concern would've been trying to secure a path for Nintendo's future. With Nintendo the company being caught in choppy waters in the past few years and with many assuming a bleak future, he no doubt wanted most of all to lay a solid foundation for its future before he had to go. Remember that he was the man who continued to take cuts in pay and take the full brunt of outside criticism and attack personally, without allowing anything to happen to his staff. He managed to carry out his tenure without letting a single member of staff go through redundancy; that is one hell of a legacy as CEO and a true testament to his character.

In that sense, he certainly succeeded. While he of course would've wanted to see the company complete its transition to its new future (with Qol, mobile, the new entertainment initiatives etc) with his own eyes, I reckon that with the positivity that came of his new vision of Nintendo's future, he would've been at peace as he left this world :)

mario_34noqk_by_aloooo81-d8zn172.png

Thank you for everything Iwata. May you find peace as your friends and family continue to bring happiness and joy to the world for countless years to come; thanks to the future that you have given them.

Edited by Dcubed

CJwMgrGWwAAgV1h.jpg

Horrible news. My thoughts are with his family.

That pic says it all. Rest in peace, dude.

Unbelievable...I knew he had health concerns which had prevented him being at every event but no idea it was this serious. Very very sad 55 is really not old these days. We may not always get along on these forums but Balloon Fight was a damn fine game and the Wii and DS will forever be remembered for broadening gaming horizons who knows without Iwata neither of these may have made it past the prototype stages.

Edited by flameboy

This is shocking :-( so sad . Whether you liked his business decisions or not , no one could fail to love his personality .

he was so young it's really not fair.

Rest in peace Mr Iwata , we will never forget you .

CJwkKtyUkAA6WXy.jpg

[tweet]620399992302272512[/tweet]

Edited by Helmsly

Iwata took the wheel of Nintendo's ship when they were sailing uncertain waters during the Gamecube slump and the gamble of the DS. He ended up steering them to an unparalleled success with the DS and Wii, a success that next to no one saw coming.

It should also never be forgotten that he was an amazing programmer for Nintendo in the 90's, who achieved some incredible feats (like compressing Pokemon G/S enough to be able to include all of Kanto).

And of course, he was part of Nintendo's amazing personality. He started becoming public around the same time as Reggie and together they shaped Nintendo's promotional image for the last decade, cumulating in many memes and memories.

However you feel about Nintendo's recent decisions, I don't think anyone can deny that his loss has left a massive hole in Nintendo, one that will be difficult to fill.

RIP.

Saw this earlier whilst at work on a night shift, genuinely feeling wrote depressed, he contributed so much to the industry and it just feels so sobering after all the fun I had at the Nintendo booth at Hyper Japan this weekend.

I bet the folks all over Nintendo are completely devastated.