NEurope
Goafer

Stop Preordering Games

An interesting article on Kotaku

Over the last ten years though, things got a little perverse. Publishers started manufacturing enough games so that if you walked into a store two days after a new Call of Duty or Grand Theft Auto was released, there'd still be copies available. And that's assuming you're buying a physical copy; the increasing prevalence of downloadable games, even on consoles, is making the concept of stock levels irrelevant. Yet we've become increasingly encouraged to preorder games anyway. Even though we don't actually need to.

Want to know why there aren't any demos anymore? This is why. Want to know why content is withheld from everyone's game and is instead sprinkled across various competing retailers? This is why. Want to know why there's now an accepted norm where those paying more for a game can sometimes gain competitive advantages? This is why. Publishers don't need to sell you on their games, because by slavishly throwing money down before they're even out, you've signaled your intent to take whatever it is they give you.

Although a little agressive, it's certainly an interesting view on how things have changed now that preordering is such a big thing.

The bit about certain content being locked to certain retailers is the bit that bothers me the most. If one retailer has one set of content and another retailer has another, there is literally no way to own the full game short of preordering both copies. Sure, it'll probably be a short extra mission, but when we're shelling out up to £40 or £50 for a game (which is a lot of money if you think about it), should we be satisfied in knowing that we've missed out on any part of it?

As well as the things mentioned in the second quote above, I imagine preorders have something to do with game being released broken. Quality control is probably less important if you've already got a shitload of people already committed to buying the game.

I very rarely preorder, but I'll definitely think even harder about it before I do again. I only really preorder games from my "must have" list (Basically just the GTA and Fallout series') and that's just because I want it on my doorstep the day of release, which is usually a Friday and not a day that I can get into town to buy it in person.

I'm not even that bothered by the "collectible" shit that comes with games now*. Real collectible items aren't cheap crap that's thrown in with millions of preorder copies, they're the stuff you have to spend serious money on. Some special editions are really nice (Assassin's Creed and Fallout 3/New Vegas spring to mind), but they're not collectible or rare. Hell, the latest Assassin's Creed special edition has been sat in my local CEX for months now.

*I did lose my shit for the Fallout 4 Pip Boy, but I missed out and now that the initial hype has died down, I realise that it looks cheap and nasty and am glad I didn't/couldn't preorder that version.

The bit about certain content being locked to certain retailers is the bit that bothers me the most. If one retailer has one set of content and another retailer has another, there is literally no way to own the full game short of preordering both copies. Sure, it'll probably be a short extra mission, but when we're shelling out up to £40 or £50 for a game (which is a lot of money if you think about it), should we be satisfied in knowing that we've missed out on any part of it?

With most of the games that do that, the other preorder incentives will become available as DLC after a month or so.

With most of the games that do that, the other preorder incentives will become available as DLC after a month or so.

I did think that, but I'm sure there must have been some preorder bonuses that haven't been released at a later date. Plus you'd still have to pay extra to have the "complete" game.

I'm not as outraged as the person who wrote the article, but it has made me a bit more cynical towards preorders. Not enough to cancel my Fallout 4 preorder (I hypocritically want the bobblehead), but I may just buy it from Tesco on launch day or wait until the Saturday when buying new games from now on unless there's a preorder bonus that I really want with a game that would be a day one purchase anyway.

To be honest its a topic I've seen a few gaming journalists talk about for years now and I've never fully agreed with the complaints. For me personally, I only preorder games a couple of weeks or maybe a month before a game comes out when there is a better picture of what the game is like. I also preorder because a lot of the time it is cheaper to do so. I can preorder a game, get it a couple of days before release for around £35 or I can go into a shop on launch day and pay £49.99. I like the launch day buzz around games where you are playing them and then talking about it with friends.

I don't know, maybe it's because I only own Ninty consoles, but I don't see any point in preordering any game.

I can't honestly remember the last time I preordered something.

I just waltz into my independant game shop, normally two days before release, and pick it up, no problems.

I have never preordered a game. I don't even remember I bought a game on day one...

I do pre-order some games, but most i pick up around launch. The ones i pre-order are usually the big ones, so the likes of Witcher III, Arkham Knight, Fallout 4 to name a few are/were pre-ordered. Most of my pre-orders are done online anyway, because it's cheaper to do so. Even in comparison with GAME, online and in-store prices do vary, usually by quite a bit.

Nintendo are one company whom do ship out complete games, then add extra DLC on months later. The big urk i have with DLC, is the stuff companies announce before the game is released. Surely it's possible to shove the stuff in-game before release, the only exeption here is CD Projekt whom announced 16 DLC packs for Witcher III before launch, which are becoming available each week for free (no further cost to the consumer here). They also announced an Expansion Pass which includes 2 (quite large) DLC packs.

It's seems weird that you can preorder on things like Steam, as it's not going out of stock. Especially with how broken games can be. The new Steam refund system has kinda removed any risk now I guess.

I think one reason why that article is so aggressive towards pre-orders is that in the US, a lot of pre-orders are done by paying some (or all money) up front - they don't tend to use online stores as often for pre-orders due to shipping costs/times.

Over here, you should hope that reviews are out before you get charged for a pre-order.

Still, I find digital pre-orders to be completely ridiculous. With those, the full payment is taken right then and the money goes straight to the publisher. With those, there's no "securing stock" or anything like that. The Steam refunds policy makes things better, but I still think that digital pre-orders should be done so they're charged when the game is out, while giving people the option to pay up-front or in increments if they prefer to do so.

I only tend to preorder these days if I see a particular game I want for an outstanding price that I don't want to miss of if there's some accompanying merchandise that appeals :grin:

With most games these days, though, I'm happy to wait around for the price to drop while I try to conquer the vast array of games I already own :heh:

As well as the things mentioned in the second quote above, I imagine preorders have something to do with game being released broken. Quality control is probably less important if you've already got a shitload of people already committed to buying the game.

So we can't back things on Kickstarter?

Got a strange feeling of deja vu then realised the article's a few years old and that I've read it before!

I thought it was a bit aggressive, but I did agree with the main points. Tbh I don't really tend to pre-order anything myself these days - I don't think there's as much issue in the way of shortage of games given the amount of retailers we have access to(both online and off). Sometimes I'll 'order' a game online before its release but I dunno if I call that a pre-order, and it's not usually for exclusive pre-order bonuses(don't really agree with that at all). I think ShopTo did a lot when they came on the scene - the speed of their pack+shipping and receipt of goods by if not before release day was just very impressive - took a lot away from in-store pre-orders and added a bit to their weight/credibility with suppliers then. Their prices were also tempting - I'd generally not pre-order anything unless it was definitely the price - I'd prefer to get something cheaper than sooner, sometimes.

So we can't back things on Kickstarter?

I was thinking about the comparison to Kickstarter when I was posting. It's a good point, but I think Kickstarter is slightly different, since the risks are made very clear up front and you're backing a project knowing that receiving a pile of shit is a definite possibility.

Plus with Kickstarter, your backing is the only way the game is going to be made (in theory). With preorders, the game is already funded regardless of how many people preorder it.

I went through a period (the WiiU's first year) of pre-ordering every game released for it, and at the same time every game i wanted that i knew was coming - i really don't know why, most games dropped in price quickly with only a few being considered rare

i've managed to knock it on the head for 99% of them now, just pre-ordeing what won't be available in shops, such as Fallout 4 collectors edition, for normal games its not got any benefit and pre-order dlc is just never worth it

If the main reason to pre-order is to reserve something and make absolutely sure that you get one, I really don't see the point for computer games. One of the only times I pre-ordered was for the 3DS, because I was worried that there'd be initial stock shortages like the Wii and I might struggle to find one normally; but for the games themselves, the vast majority are never going to be anywhere near scarce, so surely not finding a copy can't be a legimate worry and a reason to pre-emptively secure one? Especially in this day and age of the internet where even the obscure, niche titles are relatively simple to get hold of online.

The other reason I could think to pre-order is that you might want it on the day of release. But how is it any different than strolling into a shop and buying it on launch day?

There's honestly no reason to pre-order anything and the Kotaku article is absolutely right, about 90% of the most egregious elements of gaming marketing that people complain about would stop within three months if those same people stopped pre-buying £5-worth of retailer-exclusive plastic for twice the price of the regular game. I used to get mad about it but it's so easy to game prodigiously without buying into literally any of those marketing systems now. Anyone who feels like big games are screwing them over have probably only got themselves to blame. Anyone who still wants it can have it.

Edited by gaggle64

The other reason I could think to pre-order is that you might want it on the day of release. But how is it any different than strolling into a shop and buying it on launch day?

It isn't, except that buying it from an online retailer is cheaper and doesn't require you to travel.

There isn't a local games store in my town... so I order online or drive a few miles, pay parking, hunt down the game, buy usually at a higher price than online, drive home.

Even if the local shop charged the same as online, fuel costs (and time spent travelling) just make it unattractive. The staff at games shops in my past experience haven't really encouraged me to return either.

Nothing will stop me preordering games. Amazon do their 30% off deals and each time they do I preorder a whole bunch. There is a real lack of competition for game prices here and 30% is not to be scoffed at. If a game is looking dodgy into run up I will case simple as that!

It isn't, except that buying it from an online retailer is cheaper and doesn't require you to travel.

That makes sense, actually. There are some shops relatively near me that have decent prices, but I guess I'm just lucky and a lot of people don't have that luxury.

Of course, you do need to pre-order to get an online purchase on launch day, but there is still the question of why anyone absolutely needs it on day one anyway.

but there is still the question of why anyone absolutely needs it on day one anyway.

I did answer that in my post but I'll do it again. Some people just like the day one chatter that goes on with games. I myself like to talk to people and discuss as I'm playing and you are always more likely to get the most conversation at the early stages of a games release.

Yes, there's something about the buzz, hype and excitement which can add to your enjoyment of the games.

When the PS4 came out, i did have the choice to get it delivered or to go in-store to get it on launch. Nothing beats going to the store to collect a new console for launch. You get that launch buzz, the chatter in the line whilst waiting to collect. It's the same as when i've pre-ordered some games in-store i get that same buzzing feeling.

Otherwise, it's a case of waiting for Mr Postman/DPD guy to arrive. It's quite handy as i know a few of the posties in my area, so i tend to get games earlier if they catch it early enough.

Fair enough about the launch day buzz and everything. I'm just not personally bothered about that stuff, I guess.

I was thinking about the comparison to Kickstarter when I was posting. It's a good point, but I think Kickstarter is slightly different, since the risks are made very clear up front and you're backing a project knowing that receiving a pile of shit is a definite possibility.

Plus with Kickstarter, your backing is the only way the game is going to be made (in theory). With preorders, the game is already funded regardless of how many people preorder it.

Personally I'd liken Kickstarter more to a mix of investment and pre-order. You invest in an idea, but you get the product as the return. Given they aren't fulfilled until after close - can you really call it a pre-order if the end product is not yet fully/well refined?