NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Clownferret

Tennis Games

What's happened to tennis Games? Wimbledon has started and there are no tennis Games out on any console.

Wii Motion Plus has been crying out for the ultimate tennis game for years but Grand Slam Tennis, Virtua Tennis 2009 and Wii Sports Club don't do it justice :hmm:

I remember thinking Top Spin 3 was pretty good when I had an XBOX 360 briefly but having bought it again for the PS3 at some point last year I just wasn't enjoying it at all. It felt too slow and clumsy :sad:

They should just stick Super Tennis on the VC and everything would be sorted. Loved that game! :D

We do have Mario Tennis coming, but that's gonna be pretty late and it's not quite the same thing is it? I do wonder whatever happened to Virtua Tennis, it seemed to be going along just fine, then kinda... stopped.

Wii Motion Plus has been crying out for the ultimate tennis game for years but Grand Slam Tennis, Virtua Tennis 2009 and Wii Sports Club don't do it justice :hmm:

I remember thinking Top Spin 3 was pretty good when I had an XBOX 360 briefly but having bought it again for the PS3 at some point last year I just wasn't enjoying it at all. It felt too slow and clumsy :sad:

Woah, Grand Slam Tennis on the Wii was amazing. It helped that I was really good at it too, 7th in the world at one point!

Woah, Grand Slam Tennis on the Wii was amazing. It helped that I was really good at it too, 7th in the world at one point!

I only played it a few times in multiplayer and I thought it was massively disappointing :hmm:

I was tempted to buy it the other week in order to give it a proper go in single player. In fact, with Wimbledon underway, I may just do that :heh:

Every time Wimbledon is on I think about dusting off Mario Tennis 64. Still my favourite tennis game, it's a shame the gimmicks added to the sequels just made them worse.

I've probably passed up the opportunity for less money in the past but I decided to order Grand Slam Tennis for Wii today :smile:

Hopefully I start to appreciate it when I get my teeth into it. It's a shame I'll never be able to take it online at this stage, though :hmm:

Grand Slam Tennis was great, motion controls aside. Never thought about the lack of tennis titles lately, but now that you mention I do want to play one.

Grand Slam Tennis was great, motion controls aside..

I'm not even sure how to take that comment as surely motion controls ARE Grand Slam Tennis :heh:

There was always something about the game that didn't sit quite right with me when I played it before but watching videos of it this week has encouraged me to give it a proper go :smile:

I'm not even sure how to take that comment as surely motion controls ARE Grand Slam Tennis :heh:

There was always something about the game that didn't sit quite right with me when I played it before but watching videos of it this week has encouraged me to give it a proper go :smile:

I bought this game when it first came out and I absolutely loved it. I was also pretty good at it (I thought lol) but it was very tricky to grasp with motion controls.

The problem you've got (offline) is that you can hit the ball incredibly well if you use a Wii Remote without motion plus, but you'll never ever win a point from the baseline because you can't get any movement / angle on the ball. You do always get a clean hit though.

Put motion plus in though and you are free to hit wherever you want! But it isn't always perfect (like pretty much every motion plus game) but once you get the hang of it, it's so much fun!

Let us know how you find it! And try and try it with and without motion plus see if you get the same results!

I bought this game when it first came out and I absolutely loved it. I was also pretty good at it (I thought lol) but it was very tricky to grasp with motion controls.

The problem you've got (offline) is that you can hit the ball incredibly well if you use a Wii Remote without motion plus, but you'll never ever win a point from the baseline because you can't get any movement / angle on the ball. You do always get a clean hit though.

Put motion plus in though and you are free to hit wherever you want! But it isn't always perfect (like pretty much every motion plus game) but once you get the hang of it, it's so much fun!

Let us know how you find it! And try and try it with and without motion plus see if you get the same results!

I managed to get a couple of games before bed last night and a few more this morning as I began my Grand Slam career.

The exhibitions I had were all won pretty convincingly on medium difficulty so I felt confident enough to head into the main mode. The wheels have certainly come off a little :heh:

I haven't reached a tournament yet, thankfully, but I've lost every game so far and found myself frustrated on a number of occasions. I had a game where I was 2-0 up, 30-30 in the third game and had reached a point where my opponent was stumbling off court and all I had to do was drop the ball into the empty court to take it to match point. For whatever reason, my player didn't seem to respond to what I wanted and let the ball go sailing by. I ended up losing that match 5-3 and feeling quite annoyed.

Unfortunately, that hasn't been an isolated incident as this exact same thing has happened several times now. I have a good understanding of Motion Plus, including its abilities and limitations, but I must be doing something wrong for this to continually occur ::shrug:

Interestingly, I can't seem to try out the game without Motion Plus as I no longer have any remotes that don't have it included and there doesn't seem to be an option in the game to select to play without that functionality. Maybe I just haven't looked hard enough, though :heh:

Anyway, so far I'm glad I bought it as I've wanted to get my teeth into a proper tennis game for a while but I'm still suffering from the same problems I had with the game when I played it previously. I'm still not getting the responses I expect a lot of the time, or being able to put the ball exactly where I want, but perhaps that will come with time. It's definitely a change from Wii Sports Tennis and Wii Sports Resort Table Tennis where I feel I can put the ball on a sixpence..

I find tennis games really boring to play, especially if you're playing with a full five sets. They can take ages to get through. I always prefer the idea of playing tennis games rather than actually playing them myself.

Grand Slam had an appeal for a while because of the controls, but it's still repetitive and a bit of a drag after a while.

I absolutely love tennis games. Played so many over the years... Mario Tennis 64 is a highlight, virtua is good, but a bit over rated for me. I really liked the 3DS Mario tennis so can't wait for the Wii u one too.

It would be amazing for an amazing sim game though, it's mental considering there is no competition and the sport is so popular.

I find tennis games really boring to play..

To be honest, I'm pretty much at that stage with tennis game with a traditonal controller :hmm:

Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash doesn't look particularly appealing but I've craved a proper Wii Motion Plus tennis game ever since the device came out. Grand Slam Tennis could have been the one but I'm still unconvinced by it.

If anyone was going to get the controls right for a tennis game, surely it would have been Nintendo, especially after table tennis in Wii Sports Resort. Unfortunately, the version of tennis in Wii Sports Club isn't particularly special and I actually think I prefer the original Wii Sports version :heh:

One thing I will definitely say in Grand Slam Tennis' favour, though, is that I like that I'm losing! When I played Top Spin 3 on XBOX 360 back in 2010, I felt like I really had to work at my game to start turning defeats into victories. Those feelings are somewhat similar in Grand Slam Tennis and I hope that the controls somehow click into place eventually for me.

I also like that you can actually hit the ball out of play, even if it's still not as regularly as it should happen :indeed: I find that tennis games play it so safe with the controls that it's difficult to actually hit the ball too long or wide.. or even into the net! I'd definitely enjoy tennis games more if I felt I could put the ball absolutely anywhere, without the need to press specific buttons for lobs and drop shots. I'm not sure if any tennis game I've ever played has managed to nail this and I can't understand why we've never had a greater level of control :hmm:

annoyingly Wii Sports Club has got the physics spot on for tennis, if they could just transfer that to a Super Tennis sequel where you have real players and can play actual matches.

Still struggling with Grand Slam Tennis :hmm:

I still haven't won a single match in Grand Slam mode, other than one of the party-style doubles games in the run up to a tournament. Out in the first round of the Australian Open and the Spanish. Maybe I need to insert the nunchuk..!

Still struggling with Grand Slam Tennis :hmm:

I still haven't won a single match in Grand Slam mode, other than one of the party-style doubles games in the run up to a tournament. Out in the first round of the Australian Open and the Spanish. Maybe I need to insert the nunchuk..!

Yeah, you definitely do. I never played without the nunchuck.

Yeah, you definitely do. I never played without the nunchuck.

I decided not to introduce the nunchuk just yet but after a dismal start to the Grand Slam mode, I suddenly had 5 victories in a row which took me to within 2 points of making the Wimbledon final :grin: Unfortunately, I couldn't quite break Becker. He kept coming to the net on his serve and I was having to be more precise with my passing shots than I'm currently confident with.

This was actually a good thing :smile: I was forced to attempt shots that I've been shying away from in my attempts to get to grips with the game.. and it delivered some success :hehe: There was one shot in particular that made me feel so money supermarket :hehe:

Ever since that winning streak at Wimbledon I've lost every game :blank:

I'm still not sure I get it :sad:

I played the table tennis in Wii Sports Resort last night to remind myself of just how good it actually is :love: Why couldn't we get the controls from that adapted into a proper tennis game..? It's such a shame that this will almost certainly never happen :sad:

I even played tennis in the original Wii Sports and even without Motion Plus I was loving how easy it was to hit the ball in the direction you desire!

All of this is increasing my dissatisfaction with Grand Slam Tennis and I'm not sure that will ever change :hmm:

Wii Sports Club plays a great game of tennis, it's just crap that you can't play full matches.

Wii Sports Club plays a great game of tennis, it's just crap that you can't play full matches.

I've been tempted to buy the pass for it but I wasn't particularly impressed with it when I tried it before :hmm:

With Wimbledon over, the tennis cravings will probably subside over the coming weeks.. but I've just ordered Virtua Tennis 2009 for Wii :heh:

I was always a little put off by the prospect of having to point at your player before each point but if it makes it feel better than Grand Slam Tennis, for me at least, then it could well be worth it :grin:

If I don't enjoy it, they may both end up on ebay :indeed:

Sign in to follow this