NEurope
Phube

Football Season 2015/16

Di Matteo confirmed as new Villa manager, with Steve Clarke coming in as his assistant. I'm happy with the appointment, definitely makes me more optimistic about next season.

I think Gundogan is a great signing for City, seems like he'll be Guardiola's Man City equivalent of Alonso.

Steve Clarke is a great AM and what can I say about Di Matteo other than "I love him".

Oooooooh, where's Flink? He gonna be so mad!

I would have been mad a year ago, but I can't get excited about Gundogan now. I'd be concerned about him breaking down. Not entirely sure if he'll make it in this league.

With regards to the England team: I'm amazed that Drinkwater didn't get in. There's nothing more he could have done to justify a spot. For a tournament of this importance, you really need to be playing players that can make an impact and will be physically fit enough to play in each game. I'd have dropped either Wilshere or Sturridge for him.

Since Jack Wilshere last played 90 minutes, Leeds have had 6 managers.

Oh my God... The rumours!!!

Next season might be starting like this one! :weep:

Vardy will be making a stupid move if he goes to Arsenal. It's just bad for everyone. It's bad for Arsenal because he's not the player they need, it's bad for him because Arsenal play to his strengths and it's bad for Leicester as they do play to his strengths and will get the most out of him.

I really hope it doesn't happen. But, it probably will.

I really hope Vardy and his agent realise how silly a move it would be. He's already earning a substantial sum at Leicester and is worshipped by their fans, he will already get to play Champions League football next season and is playing in a team with a fantastic spirit and one that plays to his strengths, where he's a definite starter in the eyes of the manager and the fans.

Is he really going to trade that for a team that is full of stars, where he would be highly unlikely to start ahead of Olivier Giroud, Alexis Sanchez or Mesut Ozil? He would just be utilised as a Plan B by Wenger, coming off the bench to harass the opposition defence in the closing stages of a game, possibly playing to his strengths if Arsenal are chasing a lead. And he'd likely not get a shot in the Champions League either, rather being a replacement in Premier League games for the bigger names who will be rested ahead of midweek European fixtures. He surely wouldn't even be offered much more of a pay rise either, he's on about £90k a week now isn't he? I can't see Arsenal offering him much more than £100k a week, but I guess the new influx of broadcast revenue might change that.

It's one of those totally illogical moves that should never happen, but probably will. Vardy's agent will see the signing on fee and be frothing at the mouth.

While I'm not exactly ecstatic about it, it could be a decent move. We need more firepower up front, and £20m is a fairly decent sum for someone who has just won the league and scored 24 goals. Whether he's a one season wonder, we'll see. His speed on the break could be what we need at the end of Özil's passes.

The fact he's English might be playing a part in Wenger's thinking too. If any of Walcott, The Ox, Gibbs, Chambers are on their way, we've got a homegrown space that needs filling.

It does feel like a Liverpool type signing - the likes of Andy Carroll, Rickie Lambert, for example, but Wenger's obviously willing to take the risk on Vardy.

It frustrates me a little to think about the likelihood of several Leicester players leaving in the summer. It's not that I have any attachment to the club and don't imagine I'd be that bothered if they were fighting against relegation again soon but I want to see how that team that won the Premier League this season competes with Europe's elite!

After the exhilerating football Liverpool played to almost win the league a couple of seasons ago, I was gutted when Suarez was sold and we clearly weren't the same team. We were pathetic in the Champions League the following season and I wondered how different it would have been if we still had the same players and intensity from the previous season's title run in. I can't imagine Steven Gerrard and Luis Suarez sitting on the bench at the Bernabeu, that's for sure :nono:

I think he's a great signing for Arsenal. We need a 20+ goal a season striker. Vardy has just done that and is available. We've been playing counter attacking football against the bigger clubs and with the signing of Xhaka we've got another player who is great at turning defence into attack. I don't think he'll get 20 this season but it's likely he'll start ahead of Giroud and get around 15 goals on top of what Giroud will get.

At only £20m it's a gamble worth taking.

Well, Arsenal's selfishness may have just screwed us over for the Euro's. Great job guys. -_-

Why on EARTH would you try and distract YOUR OWN COUNTRY'S best striker before a major tournament?

Well, Arsenal's selfishness may have just screwed us over for the Euro's. Great job guys. -_-

Why on EARTH would you try and distract YOUR OWN COUNTRY'S best striker before a major tournament?

Errr... He's French!

Errr... He's French!

I was talking about the club, not Wenger (though now you mention it...WENGER CONSPIRACY CONFIRMED)...

But seriously, they must have known the player wouldn't have time to sort it out before the Euro's, so why not leave it until after?

Then again, it can't make THAT much of a difference, can it? Pretty sure everyone would be happy with quarter finals for us as this stage...

Hardly.

1) You pretty much have no chance whatsoever.

2) Players should be able to handle transfer rumours during the transfer window

3) You have pretty much no chance whatsoever.

Hardly.

Hardly.

says the one who's national team hasn't qualified for a major tournament in 18 years

200_s.gif

says the one who's national team hasn't qualified for a major tournament in 18 years

200_s.gif

Lets be honest though, we don't really have a chance, especially if we play like we did the other night.

Lets be honest though, we don't really have a chance, especially if we play like we did the other night.

As I said above^^^

There are hardly any expectations, I think everyone would be happy with making the quarter finals (which is okay considering the additional 8 teams in the tournament). I don't really have any surreal expectations, actually, I don't have any at all.

I treat the Euro's as an educational process. I get to watch the best teams in the world (minus a handful from South American teams and the emerging USA), and it's generally a good pointer as to where football's heading in the next 2/3 years in Europe.

Because, let's remember - even though Spain won 4-0 against Italy to lift the trophy last time around, it was Germany with the most intelligent and attacking playing style. Heck, I remember that they kept playing a false 9, with no real striker, and that most teams could work them into a draw through persistence.

It was the beginning of the end of the Spanish national team's dominance through Tika-Taka, and everyone adopted aggressive, counter attacking football for the next few years.

I treat the Euro's as an educational process.

I use it as an excuse to shout at the TV and once again complain how garbage our squad is. :D

Speaking of the squad, I think we in terms of attacking power we look alright, providing that they can all gel as a team, of course. Its the defense i'm worried about. We will probably try the Kevin Keegan approach and forget about keeping the ball out of the back of our net and just worry about scoring more than our opposition. :p

Edited by Hero-of-Time

I use it as an excuse to shout at the TV and once again complain how garbage our squad is. :D

Speaking of the squad, I think we in terms of attacking power we look alright, providing that they can all gel as a team, of course. Its the defense i'm worried about. We will probably try the Kevin Keegan approach and forget about keeping the ball out of the back of our net and just worry about scoring more than our opposition. :p

Aha :D agreed that attack, for once, is our best part of the pitch. Our 'keepers are okay, but I don't see any depth in defence or midfield - I feel that there's still a massive void left by the 'Golden Generation', which we probably won't fill until 2020.

I think as long as Hodgson doesn't fall into the same trap as every other England manager and fit the best players into the system he wants that doesn't fit the players you should do quite well. By this I mean play someone like Vardy out wide just so he can play. Play a proper winger if you're going for that formation. Previous managers would play Lampard and Gerrard together no matter what even though all evidence suggested when they played together England did worse.

Your defence; however, is poor. Smalling, Cahill and Stones do not inspire any confidence whatsoever. Fullbacks are alright but not world class.

I think as long as Hodgson doesn't fall into the same trap as every other England manager and fit the best players into the system he wants that doesn't fit the players you should do quite well. By this I mean play someone like Vardy out wide just so he can play. Play a proper winger if you're going for that formation. Previous managers would play Lampard and Gerrard together no matter what even though all evidence suggested when they played together England did worse.

Your defence; however, is poor. Smalling, Cahill and Stones do not inspire any confidence whatsoever. Fullbacks are alright but not world class.

Yup. This is one of my biggest concerns and pet peevs. Playing Rooney, Vardy and Kane at the same time looked very rough the other night. Like you said, i'm just hoping Roy doesn't bow to the pressure of the media and other outlets and try to fit everyone in just for the sake of it.

i'm just hoping Roy doesn't bow to the pressure of the media and other outlets

The main problem of the England team is pressure. All the players are so worried about fucking up and being vilified by the entire country for the next few years, that the nerves get to them.

I'm not suggesting that other countries aren't under pressure, but England tend not to raise players who are comfortable dealing with it.

The England team always seem a bit mentally weak. I think that's their only real problem, because the talent is there.

United have bought a man in exchange for lots of money. I'm going to admit that I know absolutely fuck all about this guy. Excited, but also nervous. Jose is here now, so I hope he really does the business here.