NEurope
Phube

Football Season 2015/16

About this weekend's fixtures, I really hope that Leicester don't win the title as a result of Spurs losing to Chelsea. What I mean here is if Leicester draw or lose to United and then Spurs don't do enough against Chelsea to keep the title race going we won't see the reaction of the Leicester players and Ranieri on the pitch. That would be a huge shame after everything we've all been through. I want to see the emotion of them finally having 'done it' live. That is, of course, IF they do it ;)

There I was thinking we couldn't play worse than that first half against Juve...Atletico doesn't even have to do anything.

Never mind the Champions League, the big match tonight was the FA Youth Cup final! A Chelsea win again!

3 FA Youth cups in a row, that's not been done since the Busby Babes.

5 FA Youth cups in the last 7 years!

2 UEFA Youth League cups in a row, that's not been done before by any team!

We absolutely need to start nurturing and blooding this talent into the first team set-up. Stop taking chances on players who aren't proven or on the likes of Falcao, Cuadrado, Salah and Rahman that just simply don't cut the mustard.

Give these talented youngsters a chance, they're amongst the best in the world! We can't keep letting such talent down by not giving them a chance and nurturing them properly!

Edited by Kav

There I was thinking we couldn't play worse than that first half against Juve...Atletico doesn't even have to do anything.

Guardiola has diluted Bayern Munich. They were much more exciting to watch and were much more dangerous before he came to the club.

I want Atletico to go through. Sorry, brah.

Guardiola has diluted Bayern Munich. They were much more exciting to watch and were much more dangerous before he came to the club.

No need to be sorry ;)

Pretty sure we'll lose at home next week. Unless something drastically changes. Doubt it, though.

Can't wait for Ancelotti to take over.

It says something that we could be looking at a Man City vs Atletico final, I mean wow.

Europe has been full of surprises this season (minus PSG and Bayern winning their domestic league titles of course)

Agreed on both. The 2013 team was absolutely incredible, they've never quite gotten back to that peak.

Man I wish Juventus had made it further but Atletico are very good to watch in this competition. How they can stay organised and just defend for so long and then still look properly dangerous on the counter attack is quite something.

How on earth did Felipe Luis not break into the Chelsea team? He's looked like the best full back in the world in these matches.

So our season has effectively finished. What an absolute joke of a season it has been too! So frustrating!

Went to Coventry away today. Worst ground ever. Souless.

Edited by Blade

So our season has effectively finished. What an absolute joke of a season it has been too! So frustrating!

Went to Coventry away today. Worst ground ever. Souless.

Most of Coventry is like that, to be fair.

Was at the match, what a result! Combined with the other results we are for now out of the drop zone. The other teams have a game in hand though, I think if we are staying up we need all 6 points left. Gahh I can't take this, sick of relegation battles :(

How on earth did Felipe Luis not break into the Chelsea team? He's looked like the best full back in the world in these matches.

Add him to a long list of players that Chelsea have signed and then sold on despite clearly being good players but never getting a proper run in the first team.

A good first half. As much as I want Leicester to win the league, I don't want them to win it today. However, we started off well and look good in parts, but we've really dropped off the pace.

Think it could stay as a draw, this one, which is decent for Leicester but doesn't really do much for us.

A good first half. As much as I want Leicester to win the league, I don't want them to win it today. However, we started off well and look good in parts, but we've really dropped off the pace.

Think it could stay as a draw, this one, which is decent for Leicester but doesn't really do much for us.

Yeh.. I don't think Leicester will win the league today but surely they'll see it over the line in the remaining 2 games!

Yeh.. I don't think Leicester will win the league today but surely they'll see it over the line in the remaining 2 games!

I'm tempted to say Leicester will nick it at the end now. We've gone back to our usual sloppy/cautious self. We've taken off Lingard too who looked alright, so we've been well and truly Van Gaal'd in this second half. :hmm:

The more I see Rojo play, the more I don't like him in.

What happened to the Spurs Man U.... :(

Oh well COME ON CHELSEA!!!

That's such a typical United performance.

Decent in the first half, bad in the second. Possibly should have had a penalty (at the end) yet could have given one away in the first half. Opposition have a player sent off, yet Fellaini should have gone, too. Subs weaken the team. No real urgency to win the game despite a draw not being good enough to keep our slim top four hopes alive. No real drive in midfield and not really watertight at the back either.

A draw is a fair result, but I don't think either side will be truly happy. I do think Leicester will beat Everton, who are just as inconsistent as us. I also do think Chelsea will beat Spurs. Overall, Leicester will be worthy Champions, but I'm glad that they didn't do it on our turf today because that would have been a hard one to swallow!

That's such a typical United performance.

Decent in the first half, bad in the second. Possibly should have had a penalty (at the end) yet could have given one away in the first half. Opposition have a player sent off, yet Fellaini should have gone, too. Subs weaken the team. No real urgency to win the game despite a draw not being good enough to keep our slim top four hopes alive. No real drive in midfield and not really watertight at the back either.

A draw is a fair result, but I don't think either side will be truly happy. I do think Leicester will beat Everton, who are just as inconsistent as us. I also do think Chelsea will beat Spurs. Overall, Leicester will be worthy Champions, but I'm glad that they didn't do it on our turf today because that would have been a hard one to swallow!

I like how we play now, we can neutralize most of the teams (the Spurs result didn't really show what was going on - they deserved to win, but 3:0 makes you think that they were destroying us in that game), but our attack isn't good enough to take advantage of that.

You can say LVG makes us play slow, but it's not the problem, as his wingers always had freedom as could have been seen with Depay at the beginning of the season), but our winger aren't capable of going past a player (LVG did horrible in transfer market in that department, at least short term, if at least Nani had stayed, as he is perfect for braking down teams who defend depp as he can take 2-3 players on). Leicester actually has a more compact team than us, because they have all positions filled up, while our attack is only average, maybe even less than that (huge potential, but that's the future). Just put one winger who can beat players and one striker and this United team would be totally different. If there is one thing LVG had problems with it was at the back, his attack always delivered.

You've seen in the Atletico vs. Bayern game how hard it is to break a team down who defends deep. I know Atletico is a top team, but Bayern is also a class above us, just look at their attacking options and they ended up passing most of the time.

Whoever comes next season will have to buy that one winger and one or two CB and this team should be very good again (if Shaw continues playing well - I still think that if he had stayed healthy we would have made the TOP 4).

PS

And sell Rooney please. LVG literally "destroyed" his time at United because of Rooney (as he had to play as striker, midfielder or whatever....).

PPS

Fellaini should have been sent off, but also Huth for pulling his hair. That were 2 red cards, with Fellaini being punished harder.

Edited by Kounan

Chelsea win tomorrow and this is an alright weekend. Right lads?

Chelsea win tomorrow and this is an alright weekend. Right lads?

Hell I'd take a draw! The most dire, boring 0-0 game of football ever!

Hell I'd take a draw! The most dire, boring 0-0 game of football ever!

Do you actually want that though? I'm pretty sure you'll smash Everton with Vardy back - surely a much more satisfying way to seal it than watching us lose?

I hella hope we don't lost tomorrow, as much for the story than anything - though I fear Chavs will be so up for it that we will, especially without Dele...

Do you actually want that though? I'm pretty sure you'll smash Everton with Vardy back - surely a much more satisfying way to seal it than watching us lose?

I hella hope we don't lost tomorrow, as much for the story than anything - though I fear Chavs will be so up for it that we will, especially without Dele...

It's been 132 years... I'll forgoe narrative and dreams for getting it done!

I like how we play now, we can neutralize most of the teams (the Spurs result didn't really show what was going on - they deserved to win, but 3:0 makes you think that they were destroying us in that game), but our attack isn't good enough to take advantage of that.

Really? You enjoy watching that? Granted, the last few performances have been better, at least during one half of play. But, we don't create anywhere near as many chances as the opposition and our finishing is generally poor. Even yesterday was a disappointing performance considering that we were at home, we took the lead and we were playing against 10 men at the end. We never looked like winning the game.

You can say LVG makes us play slow, but it's not the problem, as his wingers always had freedom as could have been seen with Depay at the beginning of the season), but our winger aren't capable of going past a player (LVG did horrible in transfer market in that department, at least short term, if at least Nani had stayed, as he is perfect for braking down teams who defend depp as he can take 2-3 players on). Leicester actually has a more compact team than us, because they have all positions filled up, while our attack is only average, maybe even less than that (huge potential, but that's the future). Just put one winger who can beat players and one striker and this United team would be totally different. If there is one thing LVG had problems with it was at the back, his attack always delivered.

LVG IS the problem. He's playing too many players out of position and isn't helping to improve the confidence of some of the older ones. Herrera, Darmian and Depay all looked like excellent signings but none of them have kicked on since arriving. The manager isn't getting the most out of these players.

You've seen in the Atletico vs. Bayern game how hard it is to break a team down who defends deep. I know Atletico is a top team, but Bayern is also a class above us, just look at their attacking options and they ended up passing most of the time.

Bayern are more than a class above us, imo. They end up passing the ball because that's Guardiola's style. I admit that I don't like it, but he implements that style better than Van Gaal does and at least he wins games doing so. In the Premier League, you need to be more aggressive. We can discount European football for now and just think about applying a style suitable for the league and it's just not good enough. You need to do something with the ball to try to win the game.

Whoever comes next season will have to buy that one winger and one or two CB and this team should be very good again (if Shaw continues playing well - I still think that if he had stayed healthy we would have made the TOP 4).

PS

And sell Rooney please. LVG literally "destroyed" his time at United because of Rooney (as he had to play as striker, midfielder or whatever....).

PPS

Fellaini should have been sent off, but also Huth for pulling his hair. That were 2 red cards, with Fellaini being punished harder.

I reckon we're stuck with Van Gaal for another season. Instinct is telling me that.

Looking forward to the game tonight. Predictions, people?

Chelsea 3 - 0 Spurs

Really? You enjoy watching that? Granted, the last few performances have been better, at least during one half of play. But, we don't create anywhere near as many chances as the opposition and our finishing is generally poor. Even yesterday was a disappointing performance considering that we were at home, we took the lead and we were playing against 10 men at the end. We never looked like winning the game.

This post is reason I stopped posting about football :D. No, I don't enjoy watching us, but I like that we have finally managed to be able to hold the ball and we pass it better than before. Our finishing has nothing to do with our style of play, while I agree about us not creating chances, but it mostly has to do with our attackers as they are not good enough yet, plus we don't have a proper winger in the team (again, it's LVG's fault mostly) and our first choice fullbacks were injured most of the season. If anything, LVG's sides never had problems in attack, but in the defense. This is an anomaly.

LVG IS the problem. He's playing too many players out of position and isn't helping to improve the confidence of some of the older ones. Herrera, Darmian and Depay all looked like excellent signings but none of them have kicked on since arriving. The manager isn't getting the most out of these players.

Who plays out of position? Where does the myth come from? We have Blind, TFM and that's it actually it, but they play well in their positions. Yeah, there is Rooney who shouldn't be playing at all. Now, the system doesn't suit for some of our players, but most of them do play in their positions. People mention Mata, but Mata was a right winger at Valencia and left winger in his first season at Chelsea, he is not being played out of position. Our problem with him is Darmian, who doesn't come forward, which would stretch the defense and give Mata some space.

I do agree about Herrera, but not with the Depay and Darmian quote. Darmian is playing as a fullback, something he is. It's only his fault that he isn't going forward, that he doesn't defend properly. TFM is 18, never played fb and is doing a lot better then him.

And Depay? He is probably the one player who got all the freedom. Just look at the beginning of the season. He did everything he wanted, but he just wasn't able to go past a player, make the right pass, missed at least 5-6 great chances (one on one, or headers), his shooting was bad.

Bayern are more than a class above us, imo. They end up passing the ball because that's Guardiola's style. I admit that I don't like it, but he implements that style better than Van Gaal does and at least he wins games doing so. In the Premier League, you need to be more aggressive. We can discount European football for now and just think about applying a style suitable for the league and it's just not good enough. You need to do something with the ball to try to win the game.

Guardiola's style is very similar to LVG's, the only difference is that Guardiola presses more with the ball, whyle LVG tries to make the opponents attack and so make holes in their defense (that's the theory). If you have watched his Ajax side you know what I am talking about.

The difference is that Guardiola has Lewandowski who has more games than our whole attack, plus add Muller, Vidal, Costa, Thiago, Robben, Goetze, etc.... Look at his Barcelona side, when teams learned how to defend he almost always relied on Messi to do something and than they would break the opponents down (I am talking about the stronger teams, they were to strong for the smaller teams - Iniesta, Xavi, Messi, Villa, Eto'o, Alves, Abidal/Alaba, Busquets....). We don't have that one player to do it for us, not yet (again, LVG's fault). Guardiola said in an interview that his job is to bring the team to the final third, and than it's up to the players. We don't have these players. Plus, for this style of play the fullbacks are of huge importance and we didn't get lucky with them this season, all of them were most of the times injured.

LVG didn't make many mistakes when it comes to bringing players in, but he made some huge mistakes, mostly in the attack which together with our injuries did cost us this season.

At least we have some young players we can look forward to.

I have a feeling that LVG is leaving, otherwise Mourinho's quotes make no sense.

Edited by Kounan