NEurope
Phube

Football Season 2015/16

I like how the play offs are at the moment, but I can see why people have a problem with them, 3rd place teams very rarely go up via the play offs despite their dominance over the season, so I think it will be an interesting idea to try. Problems could arise if it's quite tight between 3rd, 4th, 5th etc - like if they were slit by gial difference, but it might be a fairer way to do things.

What do you guys think about the proposal for a 4th tier of the Football League? The proposal is that from the 19/20 season there will be the Championship, League One, League Two and League Three each featuring 20 teams. It's supposed to help deal with fixture congestion and will enable finances to be better spread across the teams. The eight extra teams would most likely come from the conference, but the idea to allow Celtic and Rangers into the English pyramid is being mooted again, but I think that would be a huge mistake as far as the Scottish game goes.

It would make sense for all the leagues to have the same number of teams, I reckon.

I'm a big fan of the new idea. Think it will definitely help with attendances and fixture congestion. Plus it means York will have a better chance of actually staying in the football league ;)

Heard a bit of talk about the bigger Premier League clubs potentially having "B sides". That I'm 100% against. Horrible idea. As for Celtic and Rangers, I don't see why not. We have Cardiff, Swansea and Wrexham, so it would only be fair to include Rangers, Celtic and maybe the Edinburgh clubs. Scottish football is pretty much dead anyway. They'll certainly never reach any sort of European success with the way the Scottish league is at the moment. No harm in trying. Creating a 2 week winter break would also be welcome in my book.

A winter break is absolutely vital if England ever want to do well in major tournaments and if English clubs are going to compete seriously in Europe again.

As a supporter of a League Two team (playing in League One next season!), I'm for the idea in principle but do have a few concerns on how it will be implemented and supported.

The largest benefit would be to alleviate fixture congestion. Oxford United played 60 matches this season, by virtue of doing well in Cup competitions. Often meant we were playing every Saturday and every Tuesday, and I believe it really affected our form around February and March. We were lucky that we didn't have any major injuries during this period.

Obviously a big concern is that fewer fixtures mean fewer matchdays for clubs to earn revenue from (although you would expect average attendances to be higher as there would be fewer midweek games, aggregate attendance over the season would still be lower I imagine). Football League clubs would need some kind of guarantee that this shake-up would galvanise interest in the divisions, rather than further marginalise the clubs that would inevitably be put in "League Three".

On a side note, I hope they address the bottleneck between League Two and the Conference in terms of promotion/relegation. Conference has really become an unbalance league with so many former FL clubs queuing up for only 2 promotion spots. Should really be 3 up and 3 down. Would also love play-offs to be scrapped in all leagues, but I don't see that happening.

Lads it's almost been a whole week and dazzybee still hasn't come given us his assessment on the 3rd best team in the league's performance at Newcastle.

Incredible Scottish Cup final, followed by scenes reminiscent of the 1980's. Hibs fans invaded the pitch, followed by some Rangers fans looking for a fight.

FA Cup Final Daaaaaay.

Cmaaaaaan. I fancy Martial and Rashford to both score. 2-0 United.

Pardew must be furious. Clattenburg has made three huge mistakes already.

Pardew must be furious. Clattenburg has made three huge mistakes already.

Yup. Absolutely shocking decisions.

Can't believe that lass fluffed the national anthem. She brought shame to my home town. :D

Yup. Absolutely shocking decisions.

Can't believe that lass fluffed the national anthem. She brought shame to my home town. :D

What happened? I missed it :(

United have been so lucky it's ridiculous. Terrible refereeing.

What happened? I missed it :(

United have been so lucky it's ridiculous. Terrible refereeing.

The decisions or the anthem?

The anthem. She fuck up?

She missed her opening and just stood there smiling at the camera. She only sang the end.

A VERY close game. Felt bad for Palace in the first half where Clattenburg kept fucking up. Related to that, I don't think Smalling's first yellow should have been a yellow either. Thought United were unlucky not to score first after hitting the post and bar/edge, but I think Palace played well and deserved their goal. It was even after 90 minutes and probably about the same after the entire game. I don't think one side were completely in control, so a 2-1 score after extra-time is just about right.

Rooney was great in midfield today, aside from some proper dodgy passes that will get overlooked due to his work ethic. I thought Jedinak and Bolasie were unlucky to be on the losing sides today. Both were fantastic and I wouldn't have begrudged Palace one bit had they found a winner instead.

Smalling is a stupid fuck at times. Should have just let the player go, I'm sure there were covering players and there was over half the pitch for the player to run anyway. I think he's a great player, but he makes too many stupid decisions. Could have cost United big time today!

Shame Palace couldn't capitalise on the red card and win it, feel bad for Pardew. It was a great winning goal from Lingard though, nice to see a young English player score in the FA cup final.

BBC is reporting that it looks like Man United are close to confirming that Mourinho will be taking over from Van Gaal. What are your thoughts on the appointment Flink? It'll be great to have him & Guardiola in charge of both Manchester clubs, there is a great rivalry between them from their Barca and Real days, so hopefully that fire shows up again.

Edited by killthenet

To be fair it was just nice seeing a team outside the top 4 winning the FA Cup.

BBC are reporting Mourinho to be announced as United manager.

Gutted our players let him down, best in the business!

I honestly don't know what I would do if Mourinho took over at Liverpool. I absolutely cannot stand the guy.

I honestly don't know what I would do if Mourinho took over at Liverpool. I absolutely cannot stand the guy.

You'd celebrate winning trophies.

You'd celebrate winning trophies.

No, I'd very possibly stop watching until he was gone.

It was a great winning goal from Lingard though, nice to see a young English player score in the FA cup final.

Devils advocate. But why? What difference does it make..

Shame Palace couldn't capitalise on the red card and win it, feel bad for Pardew. It was a great winning goal from Lingard though, nice to see a young English player score in the FA cup final.

BBC is reporting that it looks like Man United are close to confirming that Mourinho will be taking over from Van Gaal. What are your thoughts on the appointment Flink? It'll be great to have him & Guardiola in charge of both Manchester clubs, there is a great rivalry between them from their Barca and Real days, so hopefully that fire shows up again.

Agreed. But also I'm wondering about the timing - I swear I got the Guardian notificaiton on my phone about 15 minutes after the game. Could've at least given LVG the evening to celebrate his trophy! Press conference afterwards sounded ridiculous

It doesn't make any difference, but it's nice to see English players doing well isn't it?

Even as a rampant Spurs hater, you have to admit that it's been great to see their young English contingent have a great season.

More English players playing well is surely better for the English national team.

Also is some circumstances an English player might have a better appreciation of the specific aspects of the English game, such as the local derbies etc. Populating English teams with more English players, due to playing well, may lead to more passionate performances, and fans may feel they better represent them.