NEurope
Phube

Football Season 2015/16

And he's gone.

Steve McClaren has been dismissed by Newcastle just nine months after taking charge at St James' Park.

And he's gone.

Well, slap my thigh and call me Charlie. I would have thought Mike Ashley wouldn't want to pay the severance money, but he's apparently in tune with the fans on this one.

Rafa has now been confirmed as the new manager. That was quick!

Newcastle managing director Lee Charnley said: "I am very pleased to welcome Rafa Benitez to the club. In Rafa we have, without doubt, secured the services of one of Europe's top managers.

"He has managed some of the most successful teams at the very highest level of the game and we are proud to now have him as our manager.

"Our sole focus now is to give our full support to Rafa, his coaching team and the players in order to secure our status in the Premier League.

I'm sorry, but you can't really criticise BT or Sky for not having your matches; years ago we didn't have any matches at all, one game a month on ITV for a bit. Fact is, these companies pay insane amounts of money to get the rights to show us an unreal amount of football. It's a good thing.

To bitch about it not being free or bizarre! If you hate what BT and Sky are doing go back to the old days and wait for match of the day :)

As for Newcastle, good timing, that'll make Leicesters game with them tricky!! I'm beginning to really really hope Leicester don't do it, fans are getting a little too cocky now :) But if it isn't spurs then I guess there isn't an alternative. Man City maybe, it's utterly meaningless in my eyes them winning anything so I don't really care!

As I've said in here before I would have been pleased with Moyes but Rafa?!

Pleased as punch.

When did Valencia change their name to 'Gary Neville's Valencia'..? ::shrug:

Ugh, it's all you see, Gary Neville's Valencia lost again.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

I'm sorry, but you can't really criticise BT or Sky for not having your matches; years ago we didn't have any matches at all, one game a month on ITV for a bit. Fact is, these companies pay insane amounts of money to get the rights to show us an unreal amount of football. It's a good thing.

To bitch about it not being free or bizarre! If you hate what BT and Sky are doing go back to the old days and wait for match of the day :)

As for Newcastle, good timing, that'll make Leicesters game with them tricky!! I'm beginning to really really hope Leicester don't do it, fans are getting a little too cocky now :) But if it isn't spurs then I guess there isn't an alternative. Man City maybe, it's utterly meaningless in my eyes them winning anything so I don't really care!

I really really want Leicester to do it! Finally a club that is not expected to do well does! Fans being cocky? Nah, those are fans that have passionatelt supported them all these years when they were shit. I bet majority are from the Leicester area too and haven't supported them due to success but because its their local team regardless what league they are in :)

I really really want Leicester to do it! Finally a club that is not expected to do well does! Fans being cocky? Nah, those are fans that have passionatelt supported them all these years when they were shit. I bet majority are from the Leicester area too and haven't supported them due to success but because its their local team regardless what league they are in :)

You should try living with one of them...

You should try living with one of them...

I live with one!! He's awesome!!

About my height, my build...

I did feel like that, still do if Spurs don't win it, but their fans are definitely getting cocky now. Phubes "funny" Spurs post highlights, and makes me feel all keegan about how much I would love it if we beat them to the title.

I did feel like that, still do if Spurs don't win it, but their fans are definitely getting cocky now. Phubes "funny" Spurs post highlights, and makes me feel all keegan about how much I would love it if we beat them to the title.

Immature, yes; may live to regret, maybe... But "funny" it certainly was not! :laughing:

Are Villa the worst performing side in premier league history?

They are so devoid of any confidence or effort!

they're not quite as bad as Derby 07-08 (1 win 8 draws)

Just appalling, to lose 20 games in a season is truly pathetic. I think Garde would do a decent job for us if Villa were a mid-table side, but in this position he really has no clue - it's the kind of situation that requires a Pulis or Allardyce - Garde simply hasn't changed enough, or been willing to 'play ugly' and work to the strengths of our squad.

In a way us Villa fans are lucky to be spared total heartbreak of a last minute relegation, it's been coming for a long time so the fans at least are well prepared for it, it's just a shame that we're leaving the Premier League without a fight which could causes us problems next season when we'll really have to battle to even make the play offs.

I don't blame the TV companies. I blame the governing bodies that sell the rights. To my knowledge they're not companies with shareholders to appease so why the need to squeeze every penny possible out of their product? How much do you need to fund grass roots projects?

If the primary stakeholder of a football governing body is the fan then isn't making the widest possible viewing of the games the number one priority? Isn't that how you satisfy the fan? This in turn will please sponsors as they will have a wider audience than the restricted audience of pay TV.

At the very least the FA could put all their pay football in one place, so that fans only have to buy one package every year. They say splitting the rights between Sky and BT breaks the monopoly but how exactly does it benefit the consumer (ie the fan, surely the primary stakeholder) if they now have to pay twice to see the games?

It's not like breaking the Sky monoply has lead to cheaper prices because of the competition, as far as I'm aware the price of Sky sports hasn't decreased despite the loss of the Champions League, they just put on more niche sports like kabadi and netball and justify the price with more variety of sports hardly anybody cares about. And BT Sport prices have gone up, infact not only that but BT's prices for non BT TV/Sport consumers have risen, by their own admission as part of the cost of producing BT TV/Sport that a lot of BT broadband and phone only customers don't even receive.

Luckily my parents have Sky so I catch the odd game there, but as for Europe I'm very much a highlights watcher, rather than streaming I avoid the results of the champions league and europa league and watch the higlights in the morning, I've come to appreciate the time saving benefits of watching football this way.

I bother with radio commentaries less and less these days, it really has become piss poor, the amount of time they spend talking about things other than the match is staggering, they talk about the traffic getting to the ground, or the weather, or some other personal anecdote, meanwhile the listener has no idea who's in possession or where the ball is on the pitch.

I'm still shocked none of the struggling teams have gone for Pearson?

I reckon Rafa will wreck Leicester tonight. He's the master tactician.

Unfortunately it isn't the fans that are the primary stakeholder. The Premier League's stakeholders are the clubs, which are private businesses out to make money. The TV companies then pay a lot for the rights because they know that the fan will pay the ridiculous prices to watch. (It's also important to note that the Premier League and FA are separate entities, though the FA aren't innocent as the FA Cup is split between BT/BBC)

I agree that it's ridiculous that splitting up the rights breaks the monopoly - it's putting business market competition in front of the consumer, which is great for the likes of BT, but for the fan it just pushes prices up because you have two big companies desperate for the rights bidding against each other which raises the price and they then need two subscriptions.

Things aren't going to change. The only way things would ever change would be if a significant proportion of subscribers cancelled. Which probably will never happen, they've got a captive audience. Other countries have every Premier League match available to watch, yet they know they can make significantly more money here than overseas on just offering 120 out of the 380 games, so why show any more?

(It's also important to note that the Premier League and FA are separate entities, though the FA aren't innocent as the FA Cup is split between BT/BBC)

You're quite right, I keep forgetting that for some reason.

I don't blame the TV companies. I blame the governing bodies that sell the rights. To my knowledge they're not companies with shareholders to appease so why the need to squeeze every penny possible out of their product? How much do you need to fund grass roots projects?

If the primary stakeholder of a football governing body is the fan then isn't making the widest possible viewing of the games the number one priority? Isn't that how you satisfy the fan? This in turn will please sponsors as they will have a wider audience than the restricted audience of pay TV.

At the very least the FA could put all their pay football in one place, so that fans only have to buy one package every year. They say splitting the rights between Sky and BT breaks the monopoly but how exactly does it benefit the consumer (ie the fan, surely the primary stakeholder) if they now have to pay twice to see the games?

It's not like breaking the Sky monoply has lead to cheaper prices because of the competition, as far as I'm aware the price of Sky sports hasn't decreased despite the loss of the Champions League, they just put on more niche sports like kabadi and netball and justify the price with more variety of sports hardly anybody cares about. And BT Sport prices have gone up, infact not only that but BT's prices for non BT TV/Sport consumers have risen, by their own admission as part of the cost of producing BT TV/Sport that a lot of BT broadband and phone only customers don't even receive.

Luckily my parents have Sky so I catch the odd game there, but as for Europe I'm very much a highlights watcher, rather than streaming I avoid the results of the champions league and europa league and watch the higlights in the morning, I've come to appreciate the time saving benefits of watching football this way.

I bother with radio commentaries less and less these days, it really has become piss poor, the amount of time they spend talking about things other than the match is staggering, they talk about the traffic getting to the ground, or the weather, or some other personal anecdote, meanwhile the listener has no idea who's in possession or where the ball is on the pitch.

I'm sorry, but who wouldn't try and get as much money as possible out of this product? Crazy to say not. There has never been as much money or popularity throughout the world in football and particular English football as there is now. Sky are a massive part of that; and sort of negates your argument about making it cheaper will being bigger audiences and more sponsorship, your argument holds no business logic whatsoever.

Yeah, obviously it would be amazing if we got everything for free (or license money), that'd be great; but it just doesn't work like that; and where we are now, is a million miles better than what we had before all this started, so I wouldn't want to change it.

I reckon Rafa will wreck Leicester tonight. He's the master tactician.

I hope you're right. I think a draw personally, but a newcastle win would (obviously) be delightful. The next week, away v palace, another hard game for Leicester. A couple of bad results, pressure on them, let's see how they cope.

I live with one!! He's awesome!!

About my height, my build...

but can he drive a kart?