NEurope
Phube

Football Season 2015/16

However, the match does highlight one thing: we're fucked without Martial. He's one of the only players we have that wants to run past players and take them on.

To be fair, I think Depay can do it too, but both of them have the problem that they are marked with 2-3 players. Martial didn't to to much in the first half, he lost a lot of balls, but in the second half Derby decided to attack a bit more, so their fullback was left one on one with Martial and that is when the problems for them started.

But usually we don't see that in games, our left side is always double marked (at least).

PS

I know it was only derby, but our problems actually are always the same it doesn't matter who the opponent is.

Man City have announced that Guardiola will succeed Pellegrini at the end of the season.

Man City have announced that Guardiola will succeed Pellegrini at the end of the season.

I now hope Pellegrini wins the Premier League & Champions League, Pep then takes over and does nothing. :D

I think it's very harsh getting rid of the guy, especially as they are still in the title race, Champions League and both domestic cups.

I feel really sorry for Pellegrini. Always seems like a decent man. Guardiola really should have waited til the end of the season to say he was leaving Bayern, then Man City could've snapped him up. As it is, Pellegrini has had this shadow hanging over him for the last few months and now has to carry on knowing that he's lost his job whatever happens.

I don't want them to win anything because I want Arsenal to win it all, obviously, but it'd be bittersweet if he won the league/Champions League this year then Guardiola won nothing.

Wow. I have to admit, although this has been on the cards for a while, I'm surprised that Guardiola has gone for the much easier option.

It's a bit of a chump's move, tbh. For so many reasons. Chelsea have had a poor season, have lost an important player in Lampard and are losing another one in John Terry. So, there's lots of work needing to be done there in order to get them playing attractive and winning football. United have been shiiiiiiiiit since Fergie (notably this season and with Moyes) and are in urgent need of work, similar to Chelsea (perhaps even more work needed!).

Guardiola could have taken either one of these teams and finally could show that he can work with clubs that aren't already doing great before he gets there. He's had it so fucking easy with Barcelona and Bayern, I'm disappointed that he's yet again gone with the easy option. It's a cop-out. Doing it in this way whilst Pellegrini is still at the club is pretty shocking, too.

Wow. I have to admit, although this has been on the cards for a while, I'm surprised that Guardiola has gone for the much easier option.

It's a bit of a chump's move, tbh. For so many reasons. Chelsea have had a poor season, have lost an important player in Lampard and are losing another one in John Terry. So, there's lots of work needing to be done there in order to get them playing attractive and winning football. United have been shiiiiiiiiit since Fergie (notably this season and with Moyes) and are in urgent need of work, similar to Chelsea (perhaps even more work needed!).

Guardiola could have taken either one of these teams and finally could show that he can work with clubs that aren't already doing great before he gets there. He's had it so fucking easy with Barcelona and Bayern, I'm disappointed that he's yet again gone with the easy option. It's a cop-out. Doing it in this way whilst Pellegrini is still at the club is pretty shocking, too.

Have to agree, I'm sceptical to whether he is as good a manager as he's made out to be, he's been at Barcelona with Messi and only Madrid as the real competition, and Bayern who are so much bigger than any other club in Germany. True, he won the Champions League too, but he was very fortunate to get his first managerial job at one of the biggest clubs in the world at the height of their strengths.

The Premier League is a lot more competitive so it won't be as easy for him, but it's definitely the easy option out of where he could have gone. Man Utd would've been the way to go to really prove his managerial skill, but it was probably inevitable that he was going to go to one of the new money clubs of Chelsea or Man City.

Like the rest of you I feel sorry for Pellegrini. Only Jose Mourinho has won more games in his first 100 in charge and Pellegrini finally seemed to have made the City squad exciting on his own terms, rather than just building on what Mancini had done before him. It's not like he's coming to the end of his career, he's only 62, so it seems like a real slap in the face to him, especially considering they're fighting on all fronts and look like they might actually achieve something tangible in the Champions League this season, for the first time in their history. The news stories all say that he's on board with the decision, but it's not really something he can argue with is it?

I've never been a fan of Pep, he is constantly riding the coat tails of other managers. He lucked out taking the Barca job after Rijkaard and succeeded there mostly thanks to the existence of a fairly talented player called Lionel Messi. He quit Barca at the first sign of things getting tough the season Chelsea knocked them out in the semi finals and Mourinho took Real Madrid to the La Liga title.

It's a mutually beneficial move for both parties though, Guardiola inherits a strong team once again, will receive an astronomical pay cheque and will be given the funds to buy any player he desires. City get to utilise the stature that Pep brings to the team, it's a shortcut to the top table. As successful as City have been over the past few years, they still aren't viewed as being one of the major clubs in Europe, viewed as having money and no real history or provenance but hiring Guardiola gives them that sprinkle of magic in the eyes of the media and the footballing world, meaning they will be able to attract even bigger names and be seen by other teams as an even bigger threat in the Champions League.

In other news, Lionel Messi is in the new Walkers advert. Is he on his way to Leicester City @Phube?

Edited by killthenet

In other news, Lionel Messi is in the new Walkers advert. Is he on his way to Leicester City @Phube?

If he did, he might make the bench... Probably start if Vardy was injured! :grin:

I'm actually not that sorry for Pellegrini, I think he knew this was coming, and I've heard he has ambitions of managing Chile so it's likely he would leave City at some point anyway.

I don't think they are replacing him for not doing a good job, they just think Pep can do a better one, which is hardly a unreasonable given Pep's track record. For all the money City's owners have invested they probably expected them to make a better go of the champions league, it would be unfair to expect them to win it, but they may have the right to expect more proportionate success in relation to how much they've spent, reach the quarter finals at least.

I don't see why Pep maybe having it easy at Barca and Bayern would be any reason not to hire him at City. At the very least he's shown that he hasn't ruined two already good teams up, which some well regarded managers still manage to do. Nobody's claiming he's a guy that could turn a team of no-hopers into world beaters, but he has shown he's a guy that does very well with good players and money to spend, and that's what he'll have at City, so wouldn't that make him a good fit? He'll also attract a very high calibre of player.

In fact he probably made both Barca and Bayern better, certainly Barca, if not at Bayern aswell. He's also shown he can adapt to a different league, and can do it without Messi. The Prem might be trickier but I'm sure he's up to the challenge ,was Pellegrini any more qualified to manage in the Prem when City appointed him?

I'm not sure why people think it's a cop out that Guardiola has gone to City. Why wouldn't he? This isn't Football Manager where you select Fleetwood Town and get them promoted to the Premier League. He had the option of any team in the world (more or less) and selected one he knows he'll be able to do great things with. He has the money and the support team around him to structure the club the way he wants it.

Even if you think it is a cop out, City are nowhere near on the level of Barca or Bayern. He isn't coming in on the back of them winning a treble like Bayern, they've barely even made it out of the group stages of the Champions League in the last few seasons.

I say fair play to him. Given the choice of any team in the world, why not City?

City are really building something with that new training centre thing and everything else they're doing. Chelsea are just a horrible Russians play toy.

Chelsea are just a horrible Russians play toy.

MFW i get called a horrible Russian...

roman-abramovich_1293043c.jpg

Just seen the Vardy goal...wow. :bowdown:

I was watching it live, it was unbelievable, out of nothing. He really is having a party.

Just seen the Vardy goal...wow. :bowdown:

Unbelievable! Crazy, crazy dreamland!

The dream will never die, 50 points in 24 games for Leicester City. Absolutely fantastic. I really hope they do it Phube, completely deserved.

Aston Villa on the other hand:

Forster won't have a game like that against the other title challengers. He made at least 8 amazing saves so I read.

Keep going Leciester! Fucking lovely goal from Vardy.

In regards to the Pep to Man City, it absolutely baffles me that people a) Say he's been lucky and b) Think Man City is a cop out.

He won the treble with Barcelona, what more does a manager need to do to impress people? Take Scunthorpe to the CL?

As for Man City, they're not that good at the moment are they? Hardly dominant in the way that Bayern are and they've been shite in Europe until this season. Also don't feel sorry for Pelligrini, sure he's been well informed every step of the way.

I mean obviously I'm fucked off he snubbed Newcastle but what can you do.

Well, if we (Liverpool) are going to lose, might as well lose ot a goal like that. Reminded me of a great goal Torres scored for us.

I'm surprised we didn't bring Markovic back in the window with all our injuries. We need all the attacking options we can get, starting just Firmino and Lallana upfront isn't enough to provide a consistant goal threat, Milner isn't a "front 3" player.

It was good, it wasn't that good.

I hope I'm wrong but I still wouldn't be surprised if Leicester didn't make the champions league... I'm still waiting on the collapse ... Really hope it doesn't come.

1. Spurs

2. Leicester

would be dreamy!!!

I hope I'm wrong but I still wouldn't be surprised if Leicester didn't make the champions league... I'm still waiting on the collapse ... Really hope it doesn't come.

1. Spurs

2. Leicester

would be dreamy!!!

Still annoys me that a lot of pundits are still writing you guys off or aren't even part of their chatter when discussing who will win the league.

Still annoys me that a lot of pundits are still writing you guys off or aren't even part of their chatter when discussing who will win the league.

They all know it won't happen. :bouncy:

1. Spurs

2. Leicester

would be dreamy!!!

I do think that the CL is safe for them.

I love it, under the radar. Home to Watford Saturday with Leicester and city playing each other, could be even better then!

The weekend after city v Spurs, Arsenal v Leicester. What a weekend!

I do think that the CL is safe for them.

I certainly hope so.