NEurope
Phube

Football Season 2015/16

We're still a massive club, massively bigger than Spurs. I think getting a Klopp or Ancelotti in will be really good for us, they're both very good.

We're still a massive club, massively bigger than Spurs. I think getting a Klopp or Ancelotti in will be really good for us, they're both very good.

How do you define what a big club is? Their history? Then yes they are bigger than Spurs. If you define a big club as recent performance then Spurs are bigger as they've finished above Liverpool 5 out of the last 6 seasons including 2 Top 4 finishes.

I would say we are still a large club in terms of history and probably popularity, especially overseas but yeah, at the moment we are a middling club performance-wise and something isnt done soon then it will be so much harder to get back to regular Champions League football.

Just the general size and pull we have. We're an incredibly famous club, otherwise we'd never be able to attract people like Klopp.

An away draw is an odd time for a sacking Rodgers but there was a rumour that he'd been given a last chance points target for before the international break, so maybe today's draw left him short of the requirement. After his coaches had already been sacked in the summer you felt like he was on his last chance anyway. Unfortunately it means Everton will now take credit for his sacking.

I was pretty indifferent to Rodgers so I'm kind of neutral on his sacking, feel sorry for him becasue he wasn't a bad guy and did nearly win the league, but I'm now excited to see who comes in and what new ideas they might have. We have good players performing below par, hopefully somebody can shuffle the pack and players find roles that brings the best out of them.

I wouldn't be upset with Klopp at all but Ancelotti would be my preference if we can get someone like that.

Part if me wishes someone already connected with the club like Sammi Hypia got the job and lead us to glory but realistically I don't think he'd be up to it. By the sound of FSG's statement they'll probably look to appoint somesome during the break so hopfully we won't have too wait long. If both Accelotti and Klopp turn us down though we could end up with a surprise left field candidate, in that case basically anyone but Moyes haha.

An away draw is an odd time for a sacking Rodgers but there was a rumour that he'd been given a last chance points target for before the international break, so maybe today's draw left him short of the requirement. After his coaches had already been sacked in the summer you felt like he was on his last chance anyway. Unfortunately it means Everton will now take credit for his sacking.

The result makes it slightly odd but in terms of timing if you're going to do it now is the perfect time - right before the international break. Gives the club time to appoint a new manager and gives the new manager time to integrate himself in the club.

Without any bias Liverpool are far bigger than Spurs. Recent league finishes don't favour them. But for years Liverpool were the countries most decorated club. Huddersfield have more Division 1 titles than Spurs.

My only complaint with the weekends football is that we didn't give United the rout we owed them. We could have got 5 or 6 and really paid them back for the 8-2. Still when you've only beaten a side once in the league the passed 6 or 7 seasons you take any kind of win. Consider me happy.

OH MY FRAKKING GODS WE JUST BEAT THE WORLD CHAMPIONS!!!!!

People laughed at me in the lead up when I said I remain positive I think we have a the ability to win. On paper Germany World Champs you could expect a walk over.

Germany did take the game to us, I think they had 68% possession I dont even know how many shots they had but it was likely triple what we had. But somehow the lads held the defence strong, weathered the storm and in a beautiful move where the keeper got the assist with an amazing ball forward and Shane Long managed to get away from THREE German defenders and put it in the back of the net.

Had to pinch myself to make sure it wasnt a dream!

I AM BUZZING SO MUCH

On another note, unlucky to Scotland :(

I was actually hoping ye would beat Poland, I was hoping for us to get 2nd place and ye to get the Playoff.

But from our point of view I guess that draw between Scotland and Poland means we at least will get a Playoff spot!

Going back a few months when we lost to Scotland and the drew with Scotland it was all doom and gloom, everyone assumed it was over that even the Playoff was out of reach.

But here we are we pulled it out got the results, we got the Playoff but we got one more match vs Poland, if we can keep this momentum and beat Poland on Sunday we will take 2nd place and automatic qualification!!!!!

FRAKKING LIKE A DREAM

Also big congrats to Northern Ireland on sealing qualification for themselves. Great night of football for this whole little Emerald Isle

COME ON YOU BOYS IN GREEN

both sets of them!!!!

Edited by Mokong

Portugal also won today, ensuring our qualification :yay: It's the first time in forever since we do well in any qualification, so who knows, we might have a team with its shit together, for once.

Absolutely pathetic. Standard Scotland.

Matt Ritchie was dreadful all game. Yes, he scored a worldly but it doesn't make up for giving the ball away countless times, so many terrible crosses and most importantly not having a right foot. He was announced as MotM to the stadium. Not a chance. Right after that, he gave away that stupid free kick. If there's anything you don't want to do is give away a freekick at the end against a team with one of the best strikers in the world.

When o' when will the England manager actually play the people who are in form, and not names from the 'big' clubs?

It was like watching football on slo-mo!:shakehead:

There were some parts to England's game that were good. I love Ross Barkley and thought that he was the best player on the pitch. Smalling's been great for United all season and think he'd be comfortable at this level. Imo, the problems came with the final ball, which just wasn't good enough. Crosses getting underhit, overhit, through balls not making it through and too many touches in the box. England just aren't clinical enough to worry the better teams.

Saying that, 26 shots in that match with 9 on target. So, that's something. But, the shots need to be converted into goals.

And Theo keeps on scoring. I didn't see the match due to work but he's certainly hitting a vein of form, though if he was more clinical he'd be the best English striker in the league at the moment.

From the euphoria of last Thursday nights heroics to the gut punch of tonight and losing to Poland, threw away a chance of automatic qualification and have to go through a playoff.

Cannot for the life of me understand how stuff like this happens. How a team can come together so well and get so much right defensively against the number team in the world and keep a clean sheet to 3 days later leaving players unmarked with space in the box to get free headers.

It was like a different team from 3 nights ago. And with 6 changes made from 3 nights ago and only 2 forced

One change in particular irked me too much.

Ok so Randolf in goal, didnt start vs Germany but played liek 55 mins worth when Given got injured so that hardly counts as a change.

Long taking Murphys starting place upfront made sense after his stellar performance vs Germany when he came off the bench and of course the goal he got. So that was a positive change.

Coleman back from injury in for Cyrus Christe. hard call especially since Coleman hasnt played for Everton in 4 weeks and Cyrus had a decent game vs Germany but Coleman definately the stronger of the 2.

McClean back from suspension in for an injured Ward. Well with Ward injured was a no brainer even if Ward was fine I would have started McClean too though.

But the change that made no sense and possibly the one change that altered the attitude of the team was starting Glenn Whelan, back from suspension instead of Wes Hoolahan. Wes who played a Man of the Match performace vs Germany whose having an outstanding season so far with Norwich, a player who can actually play with the ball and make some creative moves happen and brings some excitement to the way the team can potentially play. Just gets brushed aside so easily because in Martin O'Neill's words Wes is "not one for away games" what does that even mean? He tried to make an excuse out of Wes' age (33) and the short time between matches that he might be too tired after playing 90 vs Germany....BULLSHIT

Jon Walters is also 33, played the full 90 vs Germany likely ran up more mileage on Thursday than Wes but there was no fear of him not starting and playing another 33 vs Poland.

Its just so frustrating when stuff like this happens. This yo-yoing of great performances to average showings breaks my heart sometimes. Against Germany they played there hearts out because they had to, when you are playing the reigning World Champs there is nothing to lose so you might as well give it your all.

Then when the next game comes and there is something to lose the tactics change the defence gets sloppy and its all long balls down the field with nobody in the middle of the park who can hold onto the ball, run with it and maybe string some passes together.

On the night Poland were the better team and fully deserved the win and the 2nd place.

I suppose thought lets look at the positives.

In the 10 games played in the group we only lost 2 games (and neither were to Germany)

We did get a playoff spot which back when we lost and drew with Scotland seemed like would be impossible to get

So we are not yet just yet and there is still 2 more games in which we could get the job done.

So lets look at the other potential Playoff teams that could be possible

Group A

Turkey (3rd) or The Netherlands (4th) currently 2 points between them, if I had my pick I'd prolly prefer Turkey got in than the Dutch.... though we have lost past playoffs to both these teams so whichever gets in I'll be hoping will not be drawn with us.

Group B

Boznia-Herzegovina (3rd) or Israel (4th), 1 point between them with a game to play, both potentially tricky, Boznia are a side on the up and improving well, Israel have been a bogey team for us in the past

Group C

Slovakia or Ukraine, both level on points with Slovakia currently 2nd and Ukraine 3rd. IN their final matches Slovakia play Luxembourg and Ukraine play Spain so on paper you would expect Ukraine to end up in the playoff, either side will be a hard match but if Luxembourg can pull off a result and Ukraine upset Spain I would prefer Ireland face Slovakia than Ukraine

Group E

Slovenia currently in 3rd with Estonia 3 points behind but I think Slovenia have the play off secured barring a hell of an upset to San Marino

Group F

Hungary certain to finish 3rd and barring they get upset by Greece will likely auto qualify as best 3rd placed team if my maths are right

Group G

Russia (2nd) or Sweden (3rd) 2 points between them with Russia to play Montenegro and Sweden to play Moldova there is potential for anything to happen. Sweden you'd expect to topple Moldova who are bottom of the group but Montenegro could cause a Russian upset. That said I wouldnt like to play Russia in the playoffs. Not saying Sweden would be an easy game though, just prefered slightly over a trip to Moscow

Group H

Norway (2nd) or Croatia (3rd) with 2 points between them. Croatia despite being 3rd at the moment on paper actually look more likely to take 2nd place with their final game vs Malta and Norway having to get a result over Italy. FInal day of that group will go down to the wire.

Group I

Denmark are 3rd and certain to stay there

It is possible things could change in the next two days but assume things finish are they are that makes the play offs

Turkey

Boznia-Herzegovina

Ukarine

Rep. of Ireland

Slovenia

Sweden

Croatia

Denmark

No potential easy ties at all, maybe Bosnia might be considered the more prefered match to get but even then the draw will be seeded and we could very well end up in the same pot as Bosnia

From the euphoria of last Thursday nights heroics to the gut punch of tonight and losing to Poland, threw away a chance of automatic qualification and have to go through a playoff.

Cannot for the life of me understand how stuff like this happens. How a team can come together so well and get so much right defensively against the number team in the world and keep a clean sheet to 3 days later leaving players unmarked with space in the box to get free headers.

It was like a different team from 3 nights ago. And with 6 changes made from 3 nights ago and only 2 forced

One change in particular irked me too much.

Ok so Randolf in goal, didnt start vs Germany but played liek 55 mins worth when Given got injured so that hardly counts as a change.

Long taking Murphys starting place upfront made sense after his stellar performance vs Germany when he came off the bench and of course the goal he got. So that was a positive change.

Coleman back from injury in for Cyrus Christe. hard call especially since Coleman hasnt played for Everton in 4 weeks and Cyrus had a decent game vs Germany but Coleman definately the stronger of the 2.

McClean back from suspension in for an injured Ward. Well with Ward injured was a no brainer even if Ward was fine I would have started McClean too though.

But the change that made no sense and possibly the one change that altered the attitude of the team was starting Glenn Whelan, back from suspension instead of Wes Hoolahan. Wes who played a Man of the Match performace vs Germany whose having an outstanding season so far with Norwich, a player who can actually play with the ball and make some creative moves happen and brings some excitement to the way the team can potentially play. Just gets brushed aside so easily because in Martin O'Neill's words Wes is "not one for away games" what does that even mean? He tried to make an excuse out of Wes' age (33) and the short time between matches that he might be too tired after playing 90 vs Germany....BULLSHIT

Jon Walters is also 33, played the full 90 vs Germany likely ran up more mileage on Thursday than Wes but there was no fear of him not starting and playing another 33 vs Poland.

Its just so frustrating when stuff like this happens. This yo-yoing of great performances to average showings breaks my heart sometimes. Against Germany they played there hearts out because they had to, when you are playing the reigning World Champs there is nothing to lose so you might as well give it your all.

Then when the next game comes and there is something to lose the tactics change the defence gets sloppy and its all long balls down the field with nobody in the middle of the park who can hold onto the ball, run with it and maybe string some passes together.

On the night Poland were the better team and fully deserved the win and the 2nd place.

I suppose thought lets look at the positives.

In the 10 games played in the group we only lost 2 games (and neither were to Germany)

We did get a playoff spot which back when we lost and drew with Scotland seemed like would be impossible to get

So we are not yet just yet and there is still 2 more games in which we could get the job done.

So lets look at the other potential Playoff teams that could be possible

Group A

Turkey (3rd) or The Netherlands (4th) currently 2 points between them, if I had my pick I'd prolly prefer Turkey got in than the Dutch.... though we have lost past playoffs to both these teams so whichever gets in I'll be hoping will not be drawn with us.

Group B

Boznia-Herzegovina (3rd) or Israel (4th), 1 point between them with a game to play, both potentially tricky, Boznia are a side on the up and improving well, Israel have been a bogey team for us in the past

Group C

Slovakia or Ukraine, both level on points with Slovakia currently 2nd and Ukraine 3rd. IN their final matches Slovakia play Luxembourg and Ukraine play Spain so on paper you would expect Ukraine to end up in the playoff, either side will be a hard match but if Luxembourg can pull off a result and Ukraine upset Spain I would prefer Ireland face Slovakia than Ukraine

Group E

Slovenia currently in 3rd with Estonia 3 points behind but I think Slovenia have the play off secured barring a hell of an upset to San Marino

Group F

Hungary certain to finish 3rd and barring they get upset by Greece will likely auto qualify as best 3rd placed team if my maths are right

Group G

Russia (2nd) or Sweden (3rd) 2 points between them with Russia to play Montenegro and Sweden to play Moldova there is potential for anything to happen. Sweden you'd expect to topple Moldova who are bottom of the group but Montenegro could cause a Russian upset. That said I wouldnt like to play Russia in the playoffs. Not saying Sweden would be an easy game though, just prefered slightly over a trip to Moscow

Group H

Norway (2nd) or Croatia (3rd) with 2 points between them. Croatia despite being 3rd at the moment on paper actually look more likely to take 2nd place with their final game vs Malta and Norway having to get a result over Italy. FInal day of that group will go down to the wire.

Group I

Denmark are 3rd and certain to stay there

It is possible things could change in the next two days but assume things finish are they are that makes the play offs

Turkey

Boznia-Herzegovina

Ukarine

Rep. of Ireland

Slovenia

Sweden

Croatia

Denmark

No potential easy ties at all, maybe Bosnia might be considered the more prefered match to get but even then the draw will be seeded and we could very well end up in the same pot as Bosnia

Major League Soccer is ready to stage the first live trials of video refereeing in the hope that the system can be operable across football next year. Fifa is coming under mounting pressure to give support to match officials by using replays and the MLS in the United States expects its tests to create unstoppable momentum.

Paywall Source

I can't read the full article but this seems like a step in the right direction.

Spurs vs Liverpool is the first match today. Also, Klopp's first game in charge. I wonder if Liverpool will have a case of new manageritis and will put a shift in to get a win. Going for a Liverpool 1-2 victory.

Quite happy with the performance today, it was a solid start with the injuries we had.

Lucas, Sakho and Mignolet were good and I enjoyed the more direct style we had at the start.

Excellent performance against Everton. The entire team played well, but Smalling is becoming an absolute rock at the back. Bossed Lukaku all game. 3-0 away from home against Everton is a fantastic result.

Well I know every time I watch Vardy play I think: "I know lets shove him out on the left wing and give him no service!!"

I come off shift and I check my phone ASAP for the results and could hardy believe the scoreline, to think we'd manage to beat them and revive our hopes of progression, just a shame Olympiakos won as well.

What a game. That save by Neuer was unreal. I thought he'd saved Ozil's one too, no idea how the official behind the goal saw that - he must've just guessed.

Neuer is probably the best shot stopper in the world but is it just me or is he quite error prone? He was at fault for the goal against Scotland, last night and I've seen him make a fair few other mistakes, especially when he's off gallivanting around the pitch.

No doubt in my mind Neuer is the best GK in the world. He takes risks but he mostly comes out on top. :p