NEurope
Phube

Football Season 2015/16

On a positive note, I'm liking what I've seen of Benteke so far :smile:

Yeah, dude seems hungry, which is what we need. I would still prefer to play 2 strikers up front though but at least Benteke is good in the air and with his feet.

Yeah, dude seems hungry, which is what we need. I would still prefer to play 2 strikers up front though but at least Benteke is good in the air and with his feet.

Ibe and Lallana seem most susceptible to being replaced in the current starting 11 by an additional forward, be it Ings or Origi. Coutinho is so instrumental in everything we do going forward that he is currently indispensible!

He'll be off to one of the Spanish giants next season :shakehead

Im liking the look of Benteke so far but I do think we've started to revert back to a few years ago when we were hoofing a few too many long balls forward. Hopefully thats just temporary as we get used to him.

I'd also rather see 2 strikers up front, especially now that we have a few more to work with.

We played our best football when we played the diamond. I'd not mind at all if we reverted back to that and lined up like this. Firmino has played quite alot up front so this could work definitely.

Mignolet

Clyne Skrtel Lovren Gomez

Can

Milner Henderson

Coutinho

Firmino Bentekkers

We played our best football when we played the diamond. I'd not mind at all if we reverted back to that and lined up like this. Firmino has played quite alot up front so this could work definitely.

Mignolet

Clyne Skrtel Lovren Gomez

Can

Milner Henderson

Coutinho

Firmino Bentekkers

Replace Mignolet, Lovren and Henderson with better players and you've got yourself a great squad (dependent on how good Firminho turns out).

I still stand by what I've always said about Henderson - he's not that good.

Im still not a massive fan of Henderson myself. I do think he's gotten better from a few years ago when I would complain about him every week but still not good enough.

I'm sure I saw somewhere that Henderson is 3rd in assists for the past couple of years. He's important to our team.

What is this season's offside interpretation anyway?

(feel bad for bournmouth)

I'm sure it's always been the same, in that if a player is influencing play in an offside position, he's offside.

Has the rule even changed?

I'm sure it's always been the same, in that if a player is influencing play in an offside position, he's offside.

Has the rule even changed?

From SkySports:

"If a player has a shot at goal and a team-mate in an offside position makes a play for the ball – even if they do not touch it – the goal will now be disallowed."

Previously if a player was offside, but not 'active', then it would not be called offside. The definition of active seemed to be whether they touched the ball or not.

I'm sure they've given offside in the past when a player has attempted to touch the ball or has maybe been in the goalkeepers eyeline. Is it just me?

Nah the definition of active wasn't just touching the ball. It was if they were any hindrance at all, like blocking the goalkeeper's eye line, like MadDog said.

It was a bad call, but it's nothing new.

As to why the lino could get it wrong, to be fair when the goal was scored I didn't know what was going on, who was onside and offisde. There was just a bunch of Liverpool players moving, some offside some not, in the heat of the moment the lino may have been confused just as I was on first viewing in real time. And in these situations of uncertainty the directive is to give the attacking team the benefit of the doubt, in reality though I think it's actually quite rare they actually do.

There was also a change in introducing needing to see 'daylight' between players a few years ago, rather than one person just being incrementally further ahead.

Yeah it's all part of the game and it evens out eventually, but I just feel extra bad as it's Bournemouth and all!

Some juicy games going on this weekend.

We've got Newcastle at home. I'm hoping Bournemouth get at least a point against West Ham away, that would be excellent. Everton/City on Sunday and Arsenal/Liverpool on Monday. It'll be interesting to see who performs this weekend and who doesn't.

Hoping for Depay to put in a great performance against Newcastle. :D

Man Utd vs Newcastle, such a boring match after the first 20 minutes. Draw was the fair result.

Man Utd vs Newcastle, such a boring match after the first 20 minutes. Draw was the fair result.

It was pretty boring, although I'm pleased with how we controlled the game. Have to highly disagree that a draw was fair. We were all over them and had a good goal wrongly disallowed. Should have won the game comfortably.

I'll be surprised if Rooney is still here next season or at least playing up front. Apart from his goal which should have been given, he didn't do anything today. He dropped far too deep and didn't leave anything for us up front. We need two good new strikers. If we only get one, it has to be one who can lead the line and give Rooney some competition. Hernandez should have buried his chance as that's what he's known for.

Newcastle (mainly Coloccini) came and frustrated us and I won't begrudge them a point. But, I'll never be a fan of that style of football. Think they crossed our halfway line twice in the second half.

I watched it and thought from the Newcastle point of view it was tremendous - they defended great. Before kick off how many people expected them to get anything from the match?

Newcastle (mainly Coloccini) came and frustrated us and I won't begrudge them a point. But, I'll never be a fan of that style of football. Think they crossed our halfway line twice in the second half.

It was pretty much McClaren's only option. Did you see Newcastle in pre-season? They can barely string two passes together - very much a work in progress. For them to have got a point off Southampton and now you lot is massive.

I watched it and thought from the Newcastle point of view it was tremendous - they defended great. Before kick off how many people expected them to get anything from the match?

It was pretty much McClaren's only option. Did you see Newcastle in pre-season? They can barely string two passes together - very much a work in progress. For them to have got a point off Southampton and now you lot is massive.

Didn't know you were a Newcastle fan.

Sure, they've been dogshit for years so this is better than nothing. But, for a club of that stature to be playing football like that doesn't really sit right with me. My own personal view. Most Newcastle fans will be happy with that performance and I won't begrudge them that.

Tbh, I'm more annoyed that we scored a good goal and ended up drawing 0-0. Now that doesn't sit right with me.

Edited by Fierce_LiNk

Didn't know you were a Newcastle fan.

Haha, please. I'm just thinking about it from their point of view. Anyone but (Man) United and all that. :wink:

Another Saturday on the top of the league... Standard!

Realistically, where do you feel you can finish?

Another Saturday on the top of the league... Standard!

Mahrez going straight in my fantasy team after today..! Felt you were worth 3 points. We're lacking going forward when Eriksen's out, and I'm losing patience with Lamela... Got a feeling it'll be a long season for us.!

Realistically, where do you feel you can finish?

If we don't have a ridiculous 7 month dip in form, I'd say we can finish between 12th-8th. Probably 13th though. But I'd be happy with 17th!

Yaaaay, a first win for Bournemouth! I had a feeling that they'd get a result today. We went out tonight with friends, so I missed their performance on Match of the Day. Gutted. :P Will have to catch it on MotD2 tomorrow.