NEurope
Aneres11

New 3DS! Should it have more to offer?

Further to some posts from Rummy and Hero-of-Time in the Wii U thread, and because I've pondered the thread topic a lot myself recently, I thought I'd create a new thread specifically to discuss the New 3DS, peoples expectations for it, wants and disappointments.

I had wondered what was happening with the New3DS too, I can't recall who but someone was recently saying they were expecting more for/from it after purchasing it(I noticed a lack of it at e3, essentially) but that's a story for another thread.

I know some of the RFN crew were on about that during one of the E3 RFN podcasts.

I imported my 3DS from Australia and I love it. To me, it's the console the 3DS always should have been.

However I've been really disappointed with the lack of any software being announced that takes advantage of the new system. Disappointed with the lack of any new software for the 3DS period.

So it got me thinking about what I would like!

The New 3DS has some serious power increase over the normal 3DS and it was clear to me from playing Smash Bros on both. The time it took for the normal 3DS to close the software was mind blowing! :o but the New 3DS closed it with time to spare!

I didn't want to really get into why there is no support, or create theories based on articles or what not, more just get peoples impressions on the New 3DS and what they feel about the console a couple of months on. What they want to see, what they think should be there but isn't, what they'd want carried over to the next handheld from Nintendo and what needs banishing to the depths. :heh:

For me, I think they need to get some more exclusive software going on. The DS had an absolute wealth of games that seemed to be coming out all the time. Not so with 3DS, unfortunately.

I also feel like now they have the cover plates, they could really go to town with tying matching cover plates into releases (see Majora's Mask) as I think so many people would lap it up.

I certainly would anyway! Love me some cover plates. :)

Top of my list would be a Mario 3D Land sequel. That game was much better suited to the handheld iMO, even though I absolutely loved 3D World. Heck, I'd even take a 3D World port to take advantage of the extra handheld power!

There's been a couple of games that would suit the 3DS that I'm still surprised we haven't seen. Captain Toad being one of them. I also think Splatoon could work well on the 3DS, especially seeing as the NFC technology is there to make use of amiibo which could do with being used across devices a little better.

So what do you lot think?

Happy with the New 3DS? Feel like you've bought into something and not had your money's worth? Or are you contempt with it and just waiting patiently for the games to come?

Do you feel it's crying out for a big blockbuster game?

Discuss below!

I think its always a big issue with Nintendo do these things. It basically splits the userbase if you release "New 3DS" only games which will obviously dig into sales.

I did not choose to upgrade to the New 3DS, mostly because of the lack of New 3DS only experiences. However having stuck with the original I would have thought the faster loading times (Smash Brothers takes foreeeeever to load) for games, downloading from the eshop, loading the Miiverse and the stable 3D would still be strong contenders for making the purchase worthwhile.

When I am, every now and again, tempted to get one, those are the things I think about - its like Nintendo finally built a console capable of running their OS and games at the same time, at a decent speed.

Plus, I think that dual analogue control will definitely benefit the new Metroid game, even if the game itself is not exclusive.

I'd love to upgrade my original Comsos Black 3DS to a New 3DS but I simply can't justify paying for it when I'd probably consider most of my 3DS gaming to be done. There aren't really any games on the horizon that I'm looking forward to and I've practically finished everything I own on the console.

I may still get a New 3DS if the price ever becomes unmissable but it's becoming increasingly likely that I'll just save my money for the next Nintendo console, whatever it may be :heh:

I'd love to upgrade my original Comsos Black 3DS to a New 3DS but I simply can't justify paying for it when I'd probably consider most of my 3DS gaming to be done.

This is pretty much me.

I was close to getting swept up in the hype, and nearly ordered one, but I figured why bother? I don't consider the upgrades substantial enough to warrant the purchase of a new system, especially when I had a one that worked perfectly fine.

I do think there should be more exclusive software, even if it's just eShop exclusive stuff. Just give those who bought the system a little extra for handing over their money.

I do think there should be more exclusive software, even if it's just eShop exclusive stuff. Just give those who bought the system a little extra for handing over their money.

Then you would get complaints from old 3DS owners questioning why they can't play those games on their system. eShop titles wouldn't be Xenoblade-like in scale, so could easily run on older hardware. Nintendo choosing not to allow that would be a huge PR disaster.

I did not choose to upgrade to the New 3DS, mostly because of the lack of New 3DS only experiences. However having stuck with the original I would have thought the faster loading times (Smash Brothers takes foreeeeever to load) for games, downloading from the eshop, loading the Miiverse and the stable 3D would still be strong contenders for making the purchase worthwhile.

When I am, every now and again, tempted to get one, those are the things I think about - its like Nintendo finally built a console capable of running their OS and games at the same time, at a decent speed.

Plus, I think that dual analogue control will definitely benefit the new Metroid game, even if the game itself is not exclusive.

This is definitely a good point. The New 3DS is so much better for the things you mention - faster download speeds, Miiverse, the stable 3D, load times etc. But for some people it seems it isn't enough. And I totally get that.

I mean, if there's no games to play on the games console then why the hell would people buy into it?!

I did because I loved all the things mentioned above. It's a huge upgrade. But I understand why people don't want to upgrade just for those reasons alone.

nando - would anything entice you over? A new game announcement that only runs on the New 3DS maybe?! :heh:

Then you would get complaints from old 3DS owners questioning why they can't play those games on their system. eShop titles wouldn't be Xenoblade-like in scale, so could easily run on older hardware. Nintendo choosing not to allow that would be a huge PR disaster.

Reggie says otherwise.

There will eventually be more games made just for the New 3DS, Fils-Aime confirmed. “There are digital games coming out that are specific to New Nintendo 3DS.” Those download-only games are unannounced, for now.

This is definitely a good point. The New 3DS is so much better for the things you mention - faster download speeds, Miiverse, the stable 3D, load times etc. But for some people it seems it isn't enough. And I totally get that.

I mean, if there's no games to play on the games console then why the hell would people buy into it?!

I did because I loved all the things mentioned above. It's a huge upgrade. But I understand why people don't want to upgrade just for those reasons alone.

nando - would anything entice you over? A new game announcement that only runs on the New 3DS maybe?! :heh:

If there was a New 3DS exclusive game that I absolutely had to own, I'd unquestionably upgrade :heh:

Imagine... Metroid II Return of Samus 3D remake, New 3DS exclusive. :heh:

Though I seriously hope this doesn't happen, at least not in that way... something like that should be on all 3DS consoles.

Reggie says otherwise.

To be fair, Reggie himself is a PR disaster.

I'm happy with my New 3DS. I bought it purely for MH4U, not for any exclusivity so it doesn't bother me.

Great Reggie says there are games coming, so new 3DS owners are getting something extra.

To be fair, Reggie himself is a PR disaster.

Indeed.

Him saying stuff is coming probably means there is nothing on the horizon. :D

I'm satisfied with it.

I blatantly bought it to speed up Smash and to make MH4U much more enjoyable than it already would have been.

I knew what to expect from it, mainly because I bought a DSi XL (Loved that thing, convinced me that big screens are the way to go, also Flipnote, which inevitably got me into drawing).

I'm happy with it. I never bought it thinking there would be exclusive software. I liked the hardware so it was a must purchase.

So what do you lot think?

Happy with the New 3DS? Feel like you've bought into something and not had your money's worth? Or are you contempt with it and just waiting patiently for the games to come?

Do you feel it's crying out for a big blockbuster game?

Discuss below!

Careful with your contempt, there ;)

I didn't upgrade, though tempted, as I wasn't using my 3DS neccessarily all that much - so I was worried about upgrading and personally not getting enough out of it but I did expect to see a bit more happening around it at some point. The feeling also goes part way to what Happs has touched on - a splitting of the userbase, but I agree with it not being the idea of this thread.

I think someone else mentioned getting a few more Wii ports akin to what was done with Xenoblade(whilst some would say it suffered a little graphically, I haven't heard it to be lacking in everything else which is where it excels) - I wondered if a bit more of that might happen.

Also as you've mentioned there's the NFC/Amiibo support - I really thought they might do something cheap/downloadable exclusive to the system for Amiibo usage. The portability of both the system+amiibo could have worked in a way that owning the amiibo doesn't have to be a neccessity, and you could use/interact with friends' amiibos instead. Maybe have something built around that(what that would be, I'm not actually sure atm).

As much as I'm easy to complain about/dislike ports and repetitive sequels etcetc - I think the N3DS is actually a really good place for it(as you mention, maybe a Mario3DLand sequel or World port) and it isn't likely to alienate people as much.

Having said that, a nice blockbuster title or enhanced remake or something for it could certainly be a good thing at some point - maybe more around the holiday period this year or so?

I've been tempted by MH4 on occassion, I think if I had a New3DS with dual analogue I'd have definitely picked it up.

Edited by Rummy

I'd like to see two things to upgrade. A non XL varient. Having used both original sizes, I think I prefer the smaller design.

Secondly, more software. The 3D improvement doesn't concern me and the speed of loading doesn't bother me currently.

It's a lovely piece of kit that really does a great job of improving the 3DS experience, but outside of the CPU/RAM boost, there's nothing inherent to it that makes for an experience that the normal 3DS outright cannot do. It's a bit different from the GBC (colour) and the DSi (downloadable software/Camera) in that regard, even if it is an equivalent upgrade to its predecessors.

So this leaves Nintendo in a bit of a quandary here. If they're gonna make exclusive software for it, it needs to be something that simply cannot be made possible on a regular 3DS. And really, graphics/performance is something that can be scaled back in most cases - Xenoblade is one big exception though simply because of the enormous scale of the game.

So really, unless it's gonna be something like a realtime video editor, or something on the scale of something like Xenoblade - it doesn't make sense to make it New3DS exclusive. It's more sensible to design it for the normal 3DS and then just offer better visuals/performance for New3DS owners.

The only thing that really makes sense is games that run on Unity, since it's an engine that simply doesn't run at acceptable levels on a normal 3DS.

Edited by Dcubed

The only reason i got a New 3DS was because my older 3DS was on it's way out (and to be fair, the New 3DS was recently repaired due to a similar issue the older one had). In terms of what the console offers, yes it should offer more than just a bit more power and an extra control stick. Maybe a different name, or wording of said name, would be beneficial..

MH4U without the circle pad behemoth and cover plates pretty much justified it for me. Fantastic update. I don't care about Xenoblade or the improved 3D.

It's a really nice model, I'm glad I 'upgraded'. Some exclusive software that makes full use of the system would be nice though. Resident Evil Revelations 2 would've been perfect, a shame the first didn't sell well enough on 3DS.

For totally selfish reasons, I'd rather they didn't make many exclusives, because I'm content with my original 3DS and don't want to feel forced into buying a new one. Xenoblade I can ignore because I have it on the Wii anyway, but a brand new game I couldn't get without upgrading would rub me the wrong way.

What if, rather than risk alienating everyone who hasn't upgraded (like me), by making certain games unavailable to them, they added New 3DS exclusive content and features for the people who have? A bit like how some Game Boy Color games had extra bonuses if you played them on a Game Boy Advance. New 3DS owners get a little more reward for shelling out for the machine and tightwads like me still get to play the core game. Everyone wins, right?

It was worth it for monster hunter alone, but all the improvements are great.

Its a little disappointing that there isn't more new 3ds games yet but i've not finished xenoblade yet so i've got enough to do

MH4U without the circle pad behemoth and cover plates pretty much justified it for me. Fantastic update. I don't care about Xenoblade or the improved 3D.

Did you play the original Xenoblade on Wii at all?

That was the thing for me. I did love XC(and it tempted me in this case) - but I didn't mind it being N3DS. It's, in hindsight, a really excellent idea for giving people who didn't get a go first time round on something this time round. It doesn't offer something I can't get elsewhere(for some it might, ofc) - and I think having the 3DS get lots of stuff that isn't too big-deal-esque and maybe the occasional thing that is - it won't feel too hard on those who never made the jump/make them more likely to down the line.