NEurope
The Peeps

The Xpert Thread

So it's a new season but I thought we may as well try to keep to one thread seeing as there aren't many of us that still post regularly.

Lottery

I've also foregone the whole 'pick a number' thing because it's a hassle to get everyone to do it and half of the new managers don't know what I'm on about when I ask them, so you'll just have to trust that I've done it randomly :p

DuDs Baggies (3)

Winston Garden Lions (2)

Chesterfield (2)

Caltech Sheldonians (2)

Coventry City (2)

Coloccini FC

Super Nashwan

RSC Pebble

Leeds M.O.T

Alliance Winners (27pts): Winston Garden Lions, DuDs Baggies, Chesterfield

Runners Up (25pts): Coloccini FC, Caltech Sheldonians, Coventry City

Spotlight Winners (3pts): Leeds M.O.T, DuDs Baggies

Season Winners: Winston Garden Lions, Caltech Sheldonians, Super Nashwan, DuDs Baggies, Coventry City, Chesterfield, RSC Pebble

VIP Lottery Winner: DuDs Baggies

Season 36 Spotlight

The first spotlight for this season is for Tuesday's games. Any team that scores two or more goals will get a point.

Alliances

Caltech Sheldonians - 7

AFC Dedede - 10

River Flood FC - 5

DuDs Baggies - 9

The Roger Federer Crew - 4

I need my Arshavin - 8

Winston Garden Lions - 8

The Sixty-Fourthers - 2

Destined To Lose - 9

Eights United - 5

RSC Pebble - 8

Lercara Friddi FC - 6

Yellow Submarine - 4

Russian Revolution - 5

Talk of the Toon - 10

Lylat Wanderers - 10

New Forest Rovers - 6

Lords of Hydra - 2

Coloccini FC - 6

Coventry City - 9

Gibbs Probies - 3

Intergalactico Stars - 3

Chesterfield - 7

Leeds M.O.T - 7

Super Nashwan - 2

Atlético Aqui1a - 1

Rossers Rovers - 4

Real Sosobad - 1

AC Elites - 3

Recall United - 1

I've submitted an app for a new team, has the new season started?

The Man is back!!!!

New season's started but there might be a vacant team to take over in lower league - Peepsy? Would be good to have you again.

Decent week 1 effort by the forumers against the Dark Riders up from middle league, as I like to think of them.

latest?cb=20130702035635

COYL

You and @Lucas3693 both applied yesterday but it was too late for this season (first match was yesterday), I'll look when I get home but I don't think we have any inactive teams to take over. I can accept your teams anyway but it'll be a full season before you can get any games.

I have to admit, the start of the season came way earlier than I thought it would be and was pretty unprepared for it (not trying to make excuses for my lacklustre performance against @MilaGi!). Isn't there usually a month gap between seasons?

I've scrapped investment in the youth academy as it was providing me with dross and became a drain on my finances. I know some of you have gotten some golden talents in the past (looking at you Peeps) but I feel more in control if I just venture into the transfer market myself.

Yeah the season did start a bit early this time round but we'll try and get a cup going at the end of this one :)

I have to admit, the start of the season came way earlier than I thought it would be and was pretty unprepared for it (not trying to make excuses for my lacklustre performance against @MilaGi!). Isn't there usually a month gap between seasons?

I've scrapped investment in the youth academy as it was providing me with dross and became a drain on my finances. I know some of you have gotten some golden talents in the past (looking at you Peeps) but I feel more in control if I just venture into the transfer market myself.

I'm happy to take advantage :P

10qmp0w.png

Nor I! Mental season so far, Real Sosobad the only remotely easy fixture in the calendar, points being dropped all over the shop.

Today, one of the all time great results for Winston, first time Caltech Sheldonians have lost a game in N-E series. Think the competition is too fierce to win two titles on the trot but the fans can afford to dream!

Amazing season so far for Colocinni.. speaking of which I've been meaning to post his great

WORDS WITH WINSTON!!

MilaGi, it is a pleasure to speak to one of the league’s most exciting up-and-coming managers. Congratulations on another deserved season of top slight survival. I will get straight to the heart of the matter - many fans are claiming that demotion would have been a blessing in disguise for Colo at this stage in their development given the quality of the teams coming up for next year. Have you looked at Caltech, Nashwan and DuDs, and are Colo ready for a rough year?

Thank you for the warm welcome and the congrats – both are greatly appreciated. Good luck with defending your crown this coming season!

I’d probably disagree with the notion that relegation would have been better. The ambition of this club is to be a top flight team regardless of the quality of the opposition we face. We don’t really care whether teams are bigger or better than us. We’re a team that, one our day, will give anyone a good game and I believe we’ve proved that.

I’ve been seriously impressed with Caltech Sheldonians since their arrival. Only two seasons in and they’ve reached the top league with only 1 defeat to their name! They’ve been like a runaway train and don’t look like they’re about to stop! They’ll certainly be tested in the top league and I’m sure there are plenty of managers (myself included) who will be looking to inflict further defeats on them!

The double header against AFC Dedede in mid-season was decisive, though last season’s double over Eights was searingly impressive, whilst home wins against Winston and Inter fully announce Colocinni’s arrival. Give me one or two of your personal highlights of your Xpert career.

I think it goes without saying that doing the double over Eights last season was a truly incredible achievement. I think we drew with them home and away the season prior to that too, so maybe Tales had simply underestimated me or my team!

I have had some good results over the seasons; one that stands out for me was a resounding 4-0 home win over Haden (or at least I think that was the score). Just one of those games where I got my tactics spot on in every department and my players all played out of their skins! Any win against Peeps and Aqui1a are also considered as being personal highlights (although, I don’t think I’ve managed to beat Peeps in a competitive game) haha!

Have you lost the element of surprise to Colo’s team - have teams worked out how to play against you? Colo have beaten the teams they needed to beat this season but the big scalps have been less forthcoming.

I don’t think other teams really know how to play against me quite simply because I don’t know which way I’ll play myself! I tend to mix things up quite a bit and try not to be too predictable. Most teams in the top league are stronger than mine, so we need whatever advantage we can over our opposition.

I’ve always said that we need to beat the teams around us to give ourselves a fighting chance. If we can do that and gain a scalp or two (home or away) then we’ll be fine (I hope).

Colo have in the past year transformed into a well designed machine that is strong and also produces impressive youth.I’m struggling to find the quote but I seem to remember Nikos claiming that he had advised you on a direction for the club last year. Could you tell us a little about that discussion? (Note: may have been russian rev, if so - replacement question is - who do Colo model themselves on?). Colo’s fortunes have turned remarkably in the last 5 seasons following a long period of middle league mediocrity.

I would have to trawl through the thread to be honest, as I can’t remember! The beauty about N-Europe is that I’ve received lots of advice and encouragement from many different managers with the result that I’ve taken a plethora of information on board, picked out bits from each and then blended them into my own philosophy shall we say. I guess I don’t really model myself on any particular team per se, but I’d say that Peeps has been my main mentor over the years. He was the one who advised me regarding the importance of youth player development, the ‘curve’, and finding the right balance of old and young… and many more things!

Learning is human nature and having that desire to improve and become better at what we do is paramount to becoming successful. Failure is also instrumental in becoming successful and we’ve seen a lot of that over the time I’ve been in charge. Here’s hoping there’ll be less of that in the future and that we can sustain a period of stability in the top league for seasons to come. We certainly don’t want to drop again anytime soon!

I am always curious when managers don’t buy players. Clearly youths are the best way to get to the top but it’s a long term game doing so. Looking at the Colo finances, there is barely a transfer that has been made, yet the one player Colo have purchased, Jose Mallo, is currently your strongest. Why do you avoid the transfer market and where does the money go?

I’d say that it’s not so much a case of avoiding the transfer market, but more the affordability factor. We’re only looking for players that compliment or improve our current squad. The only downside is that those players tend to be out of our price range, so we’re currently relying on promoting youth players with significant resale value to help us generate some much needed funds.

The majority of our income tends to go on form training, win bonuses, youth academy investment, and the occasional tactics report here and there. We’re looking at generating more income in the form of the press releases, which we’ve badly neglected.

Finally - do you have a long term goal - do Colocinni see themselves as future title winners - or is your aim to be a regular competitor at the top?

We would love to be in the mix of teams battling it out for the title, but I think we may struggle to do so; especially with the Caltech runaway train emerging as a serious contender in seasons to come. We’ll certainly give it a good go though!

I suppose the immediate aim is to continue to remain in the top flight and hopefully continue to work our way up into a regular top half team.

Thanks for your time and best of luck next season. In Canto, Ha, Malago, Ungari and Ferrari I see the skeleton of a future title winning team - I hope they continue to flourish

It seems this interviewer has once again underestimated The Colo machine - an away win against DuDs was a massive result for the club and they now sit only two points off the top of the table! Winston will be keeping an eye on this new title rival...! Cheers Colo for you time.

Anyone else up for a words with Winston let me know

2567pkh.png

Sorry about me and @MilaGi bucking the trend!

Massive win for Winston - goalie out injured, 10 men with no keeper for the last fifteen minutes, Colo equalise with an open goal, but Winston pop in a set piece 93rd minute! Love it!

Big game for @The Peeps and @Zell on Friday - both title contenders.. for now

Determined to single handedly keep this thread pumping along...

In recent conversation with cult football managing legend Roger Federer, the man said

‘What is your secret? Don't understand how you can be doing so well with eights LANGUISHING. It's a new era!

I had foolishly thought your triumph would mark the end of 'classic' n-euro xpert and b the start of domination by the new teams, but not so’

This season has been quite possibly the most dramatic that I’ve experienced in my career as manager and pundit in the N-Europe ranks. The hierachy has been seriously shaken up - the days of the so called ‘Elite Four’ are by now years behind us. The arrival of the big names from ‘The Merge’ has thrown all sorts of teams into contention, and we hit mid-season with six teams still in serious contention for the league title. Here, we cast our eye over how the squads have shaped up...

Winston Gardens

The reigning champs sit - preciously - on top of the tree at mid-season, having acquitted themselves well enough this year. Results have been unremarkable, aside from an impressive win away at Caltech, though the manager will be chuffed with a decent goal tally. The squad is deep, versitile, but ageing. Currently undefeated - but for how long?

tumblr_mp22ipDvby1sxufvbo1_500.jpg

Damiao Sales has once again led the charge as one of the league’s standout performers.

Super Nashwan

Everyone had Caltech pegged as the team to look out for this season but it is Nashwan that have risen to the upper league challenge thus far. It is a deep squad, packed with talented youths and experienced veterans - there is really no weak spot here. A 3 - 0 victory over rivals Sheldonians was their best moment yet. Will be rueing two early losses against Winston and Yellow Sub - both title contenders, which could come back to bite them. Could the title race culminate on the final day fixture against Winston? Four out of four wins at home. Fortress.

federer_2709217b.jpg

Bruno Vinnerholt has been in the xpert 4 times, with 4 g&s. A rock at the back.

Caltech Sheldonians

Recovering from a four game winless streak, Sheldonians finally have their swagger back as they have cruised to three big wins on the trot. The shoddy defence exposed them ealry in the season, but the manager has recently begun to switch up his tactics after 451 had become a predictable formatily. Firing on all cylinders and back in title contention, this team are ready to show the league that they can do

novak-djokovic-12a.jpg

Will Wheaton has performed the best of a packed star midfield, the kind that Eights used to rep

Yellow Submarine

Solid but unremarkable, it is no surprise to see Yellow Sub in title contention once again. The squad is in a good state, although midfield is lightweight. Zell is a top manager at swooping for the title when he spies his chance, so they may be surprise contenders - Tuesday’s game against Lylat may show which of the two will be in the mix come the end of the season.

Wawrinka.jpg

Kirkby has been a solid veteran presence at the back

Lylat Wanderers

Milos-Raonic-Player-Image.jpg

A confounding catalogue of draws, albiet with an impressive win over Super Nashwan. Peeps may be happy enough with a mid season finish, as much of his team are a season or two away from hitting their potential - Gledhill, Rossbottom and Accrington are playing beautifully, promising riches for coming seasons - but they could challenge yet.

Ian Davison is in his prime and is the kind of keeper Winston would kill for.

Coloccini

Storied and unexpected as ever, the bullish Coloccini have added yet more skulls to their collection with pragmatic tactics securing victories over Eights and DuDs Baggies. The team is well balanced, neat. Ungari has had a poor season for the club’s best player. Need to bounce back after a disapointing week, but they are on course to secure their upper flight status. Could score a few more goals.

1422263284470.jpg

Constant Dogaru has been key in a lineup that has let in only five goals

DuDs baggies

A blistering start to the campaign saw the Baggies rise to title contention but quickly fall away - the squad makeup here is bizarre, with some real deadwood amongst some serious talent. The defence is totally porous, but the veteran midfield is strong. Slavici and co will have to work hard to secure upper league status.

jo-wilfried_tsonga2.jpg

Slavici is a player in his prime, firing on all cylinders

Inter

Another team packed with talent that is succumbing to the pressures of Elite League - The Nikos team here is well assembled but perhaps lacking in superstars - Gandalf and Zorro both looking on occasion past it. A surprise loss to rarely-active Real Sosobad have rocked them. The win away at Yellow Sub shows this team is capable, and an away draw to Winston is ecouraging, but Nikos will need to draw on all of his experience to stay up in the tough climate.

David-Ferrer4.jpg

Sergio Ramos may be the key to survival

Eights

If ever there was a marker of how strong Elite League is this season, it’s that N-E’s former King Tales is currently managing a side hovering in the lowest active space in the league. Eights have battled hard, but have been narrowly outplayed on too many occasions. Demolition by old rivals Yellow Sub will have hurt. A team with the likes of Clevan, Almaas, and Isfjord couldn’t possibly be relegated… could they?

462322284.0.jpg

Charles Almaas is more used to duking it out for silverware than for surival, but he remains one of the league’s star performers.

I'm still about (sort of). Interest is waning, will stick out the remainder of the season.

We certainly do need to score more goals! Only conceded 5, but up against Winston next (away) so I fear we'll get a battering!

We certainly do need to score more goals! Only conceded 5, but up against Winston next (away) so I fear we'll get a battering!

Yeah right. You gonna win the league Colo?? 2 points off the top, proper stealth contender! Truly outrageous effort.

Insane to think that there are still 5 teams in the race at this stage - best title race in years.

You gonna beat the drop @the_peeps?

I see you're back in the mixx too, @Zell

Honestly I think it's 50/50 whether I stay up or not at this point. All the teams in the top division are so close in strength but I have the disadvantage of trying to bring up youths too. Either way I'll be back up to win it soon enough ;)

Honestly I think it's 50/50 whether I stay up or not at this point. All the teams in the top division are so close in strength but I have the disadvantage of trying to bring up youths too. Either way I'll be back up to win it soon enough ;)

Psh I think you'll find we've got the same amount of under 23's!!

Just a bit of slam talk to coax you into getting a result at home to Caltech. I'm counting on you :P

This season has been the worst i've ever performed throughout my Xpert career. I'm bottom of the, well bottom league with only 1 win and countless losses.

Yeah right. You gonna win the league Colo?? 2 points off the top, proper stealth contender! Truly outrageous effort.

Insane to think that there are still 5 teams in the race at this stage - best title race in years.

You gonna beat the drop @the_peeps?

I see you're back in the mixx too, @Zell

If you said at the start of the season that I'd be in with a shout at winning the title with just 4 games left to play, I'd have laughed! I'll be trying to win it but I can't see it happening to be honest :)

The relegation zone interests me more... since I'm not in it :D

This season has been the worst i've ever performed throughout my Xpert career. I'm bottom of the, well bottom league with only 1 win and countless losses.

Yeah bottom league looks brutal right now. Good work for powering through this season regardless - good win today too.

If you said at the start of the season that I'd be in with a shout at winning the title with just 4 games left to play, I'd have laughed! I'll be trying to win it but I can't see it happening to be honest :)

The relegation zone interests me more... since I'm not in it :D

Dude 2 shots against 1 at Caltech - you were so so close! I think with your remaining fixtures you could've won the league if it had gone your way. Incredible effort this season in any case.

Truely epic final week lined up, assuming @the_peeps , battling relegation, can get something at home against Caltech. I'd say @Zell with Yellow Submarine are odds on favorites at this point? Going to be quite the finale

Still trying to wrap my head around how I am still in this title race. I have been very average all season.

I think Caltech are favourites. If they can get a result against Lylat then the title should be theirs.

Yeah bottom league looks brutal right now. Good work for powering through this season regardless - good win today too.

Dude 2 shots against 1 at Caltech - you were so so close! I think with your remaining fixtures you could've won the league if it had gone your way. Incredible effort this season in any case.

Truely epic final week lined up, assuming @the_peeps , battling relegation, can get something at home against Caltech. I'd say @Zell with Yellow Submarine are odds on favorites at this point? Going to be quite the finale

I had a £1M win bonus on too!! It is very much out of my hands now, but I've given it a damn good go this season. Surpassed my own expectations! @Zell at home last game of season should be interesting!! :D

I don't think anyone would've thought that Eights would get relegated or that Lylat and Inter would be embroiled in a battle for survival!

Still trying to wrap my head around how I am still in this title race. I have been very average all season.

I think Caltech are favourites. If they can get a result against Lylat then the title should be theirs.

Pssh you were never really in it, easy prey for Winston's Lions.

@The Peeps what are you doing to me man??? Thought you'd get something off Caltech in the face of relegation

Need a big favour from @Tales to help give us keep the trophy in the N-Europe cabinet but I fear I'll be out of luck. Help a brother out!

I'm barely playing the game anymore, but sure, what do I need to do?

Edit: Oh, looking at the table and next match, congrats with 2nd place :p

Edited by Tales

I'm barely playing the game anymore, but sure, what do I need to do?

Edit: Oh, looking at the table and next match, congrats with 2nd place :p

Haahaha yeaah...

What d'you reckon the odds are? Should I play youth and give up the dream?

Also, you going to be back next season? Much as I rib you, xpert isn't the same without mighty Eights